Ok, I just gotta get this trait...

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
If i have a locked AXP 1900 and I want to over clock it, do i need to unlock it to lower the multiplier so I can up the fsb? So if I take it from 12 or what ever with 133 fsb is it possible to lower the muliplier to maybe 9-10 without unlocking it (through mobo) and just up the fsb to like 200? is it possibel to do this and would it run stable? also when I adjust the pci/agp divider, is it possible to screw up the pci bus, (well more like data on hdd) by having to low of a bus speed?

Thanks

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

svol

Champion
You first need to unlock your CPU to change the multiplier up or down.
BTW getting an FSB of 200MHz (even with a very low multiplier) is difficult as most chips can't handle such an FSB even at slow CPU clockspeeds.

The PCI and AGP dividers determine your AGP and PCI bus speed by dividing them from the FSB. Like this: PCI: 133/4=33.3MHz, AGP:133/0.667 (2/3)=66MHz.
Most AGP cards can handle AGP bus speeds above 80MHz, but it is better to keep the PCI bus speed below 40MHz because otherwise it may damage the onboard IDE (or other PCI cards) and cause data errors.
Having a lower then default PCI or AGP bus speed will not damage your components and only will make them run slower.

*Advertisement*
<b><A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/dbz/dewrede/enterstrips.html" target="_new">Geert's Comics</A></b>

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Thank you so much, now everything makes perfect sense, but underclocking the pci bus wont damage anything will it?
Also when i tried OC'ing my 1900 "agoga" (or how ever it is spelled) in the past i couldnt get above 140, windows would lock up, so that is probably because the pci bus was too high. I should be able to get my 1900 to 2100 speeds on this thing right?
O.K. The description of the pci/agp divder is explained like this in my abit kx7 manual: The default is 3:2:1, in this case the agp bus would be the fsb divided by then then ,multiplied by 2, that gives me a speed of 88.6 mhz for the agp bus and 44 for the pci! What is the deal with that? Did they explain it wrong in the manual or does abit have a special way of doing it?

Thanks again

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by johnnyx on 10/21/02 04:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
I think your Abit mobo doesn't automatically set the divider lower for the 133 MHz FSB speed, thus making your PCI and AGP speeds very high. Check if you can set it to something like 4:2:1 which will give 33.3MHz PCI and 66.6MHz AGP with a 133MHz FSB.
With the right divider the PCI bus speed of 140MHz FSB will be 140/4=35 Mhz... which is a speed your PCI cards (unless you have some very old ones) would handle with easy. The crashup can be caused by a to low VCore voltage (default 1.75V) which you can raise to 1.8 or 1.85V if your CPU temps aren't too high (increasing your CPU Vcore voltage will increase temps). Another thing could be that your memory can't handle the speed: try lower CAS timings or increase the DDRRAM voltage a little. If that all doesn't work try increasing the I/O Voltage a little.

Good luck.

*Advertisement*
<b><A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/dbz/dewrede/enterstrips.html" target="_new">Geert's Comics</A></b>