2.4A at 3.2G GHz, what's to stop me?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You guys probably didn't notice the 2.53 is $188 on Pricewatch, but anyway...
2.4A is the same price, but with the HUGE 24x multiplier. What, besides the laws of physics, will prevent me from taking it to 3.2GHz on the stock Intel cooler?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
To get to 3.2GHz, you may wanna plan on having a good HSF, and not the Intel one. The 2.4A does not use the marginally better C1 stepping that the 2.5A does however. You may wanna get a Alpha PAL8092 or the like with a Vantec Tornado or something to cool it.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I would use the 8IHXP, but...a little pricey considering it only overclocks to 150MHz FSB, but then, I wouldn't have to worry about that with the 2.4A

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Wouldn't the required voltage for 3.2GHz be too high for the CPU?

Dunno. Over here, the 2.4B is slightly cheaper than the A, do it's kinda worth going for the B, but I dunno if you can get it to 178MHz.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ahh, shnit, I could always use an 8SG667 and a 2.4B at 3.0GHz/166.6MHz.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Who you kiddin man? A lot of 2.26B/2.4Bs won't even do 3GHz, much less most 1.8As doing 3GHz... Well maybe watercooled or something.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
You should try looking at "overclockers.com"---database. you will indeed see that the 1.6a and the 1.8a both can achieve outstanding overclocks!!!! getting to 3.0 is easy for these guys!!

We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Just came from o/c .com-----take a look at the 2.2's, a lot got to 2.9 on air cooling,the 2.4's got to 2.8, and my 2.4a I've got to 2.9 on air cooling!!!! it can be done-----it's all in the luck of the chip--- I figure!!

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toester on 10/31/02 10:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Just use that Alpha heatsink with any old fan (that's actually turning) and you'll probably get better cooling than stock. Take it from an Athalon XP owner, those big Alphas rule.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would prefer Swiftech, as I don't believe Alpha designers really know what they're doing (and yes, even an idiot can design a heatsink that works well simply by increasing surface area).

G

Yeah but do they cool any better all else equal? That's what you gotta ask. I mean, unless your putting fart can windows and crap in there, who really cares what it looks like? It's not like the alphas don't come with a protected mirror finish on their heat sinks.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
hey crash I changed my mind on the gigabyte board and ordered the albatron with the 845pe chipset the silver edition one along with a p4 2.5, which I will be watercooling so I will post my results as soon as I get it rolling =]

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Er, that's not a P4 cooler. In fact, I wouldn't even know how to make it FIT a P4 without doing machine work on it!

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
What has been said bout the 1.8 running at 3Ghz is right

http://www.chip-con.com/benchmarks.asp

just check this out there are lots more links on this site to other oc sites, THG had a revieuw about similar stuff some time ago.
OK it isn't cheap but the revieuws I read where all pretty positive, if i got the cash and experience i'll buy this baby the pice of this thing and a P4 1.8 gives you 3GHz for less money than a 3GHz processor
Think about it

Fladryn

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
Hehe, Crashman, you can always use a Vapochill Liquid-Nitrogen cooler and put that puppy in a vat =) Well, with that you can screw the laws of physics and take it to close to 4GHz =)

Fladryn

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
Hehe, Crashman, you can always use a Vapochill Liquid-Nitrogen cooler and put that puppy in a vat =) Well, with that you can screw the laws of physics and take it to close to 4GHz =)