Unable to install HP G95 printer on XP SP2 (works fine on ..

stuart

I have 3 machines connected to network via Netgear router. Installed HP s/w
on Win 2k machine, works fine printing to HP G95 c/w HP 300X print server.
When I try to install s/w on either desktop or laptop running XP SP2 software
hangs. I've closed down ZoneAlarm and AVG antivirus. I get as far as
'conect printer conected to network' and on clicking the next button nothing
happens. HP aren't being too helpful, now suggesting I install a printer
only driver, yet their website does indicate the combo is all compatible. I
can ping the printer from my xp machine no problem.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what may be causing the problem please?
--
Stuart

Did you try closing the build in firewall on the SP2 PCs?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 machines connected to network via Netgear router. Installed HP
>s/w
> on Win 2k machine, works fine printing to HP G95 c/w HP 300X print server.
> When I try to install s/w on either desktop or laptop running XP SP2
> software
> hangs. I've closed down ZoneAlarm and AVG antivirus. I get as far as
> 'conect printer conected to network' and on clicking the next button
> nothing
> happens. HP aren't being too helpful, now suggesting I install a printer
> only driver, yet their website does indicate the combo is all compatible.
> can ping the printer from my xp machine no problem.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas as to what may be causing the problem please?
> --
> Stuart

johnf

I downloaded and installed the 64MB file "HP OfficeJet software/driver".

When adding the printer, I specified network printer by IP address. In the
router, I had assigned fixed IP addresses for each of our hardware
addreesses (MAC addresses).

Our computers get their IP addresses using DHCP. The printers are fixed.

I use Norton Internet Security 2005, and I didn't not have to do any special
firewall settings.

If your printers are to have DHCP addresses, I don't know the answer.

"Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 3 machines connected to network via Netgear router. Installed HP
s/w
> on Win 2k machine, works fine printing to HP G95 c/w HP 300X print server.
> When I try to install s/w on either desktop or laptop running XP SP2
software
> hangs. I've closed down ZoneAlarm and AVG antivirus. I get as far as
> 'conect printer conected to network' and on clicking the next button
nothing
> happens. HP aren't being too helpful, now suggesting I install a printer
> only driver, yet their website does indicate the combo is all compatible.
> can ping the printer from my xp machine no problem.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas as to what may be causing the problem please?
> --
> Stuart

stuart

The firewall on XP is permantly disabled as I use Zone Alarm, which I also
disabled.
--
Stuart

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Did you try closing the build in firewall on the SP2 PCs?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 3 machines connected to network via Netgear router. Installed HP
> >s/w
> > on Win 2k machine, works fine printing to HP G95 c/w HP 300X print server.
> > When I try to install s/w on either desktop or laptop running XP SP2
> > software
> > hangs. I've closed down ZoneAlarm and AVG antivirus. I get as far as
> > 'conect printer conected to network' and on clicking the next button
> > nothing
> > happens. HP aren't being too helpful, now suggesting I install a printer
> > only driver, yet their website does indicate the combo is all compatible.
> > can ping the printer from my xp machine no problem.
> >
> > Has anyone got any ideas as to what may be causing the problem please?
> > --
> > Stuart

stuart

John,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had the cjhance to worry about IP
addresses, I can't as yet load the software, when I attempt to install it it
creates an error and stops. If I use a lower level setup file to install it
gets as a far as selecting local or network and the next button fails to
operate, it moves but I don't proceed.

It must be a conflict somewhere, but where? Given that it's XP, c/w HP
printer , hp print server and the same Netgear router for both connections,
I'd have thought that this oproblem would have been seen before.

--
Stuart

"JohnF" wrote:

> I downloaded and installed the 64MB file "HP OfficeJet software/driver".
>
> When adding the printer, I specified network printer by IP address. In the
> router, I had assigned fixed IP addresses for each of our hardware
> addreesses (MAC addresses).
>
> Our computers get their IP addresses using DHCP. The printers are fixed.
>
> I use Norton Internet Security 2005, and I didn't not have to do any special
> firewall settings.
>
> If your printers are to have DHCP addresses, I don't know the answer.
>

> "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have 3 machines connected to network via Netgear router. Installed HP
> s/w
> > on Win 2k machine, works fine printing to HP G95 c/w HP 300X print server.
> > When I try to install s/w on either desktop or laptop running XP SP2
> software
> > hangs. I've closed down ZoneAlarm and AVG antivirus. I get as far as
> > 'conect printer conected to network' and on clicking the next button
> nothing
> > happens. HP aren't being too helpful, now suggesting I install a printer
> > only driver, yet their website does indicate the combo is all compatible.
> > can ping the printer from my xp machine no problem.
> >
> > Has anyone got any ideas as to what may be causing the problem please?
> > --
> > Stuart

TRENDING THREADS