Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP fax won't auto-store across my LAN into a folder?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 2:47:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I have XP fax working fine except I want all incoming faxes to auto store
into a folder on another hard drive on another computer. I can't get it to
do anything other than store into a folder on the computer it is installed
on. All the other computers are accessable via the LAN etc. Any help would
be appreciated. I suspect I'm going to have to try and buy a fax program?
Any comments would be appreciated.
--
JerryL
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:02:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Any luck? I'm having same issue.

"JerryL" wrote:

> I have XP fax working fine except I want all incoming faxes to auto store
> into a folder on another hard drive on another computer. I can't get it to
> do anything other than store into a folder on the computer it is installed
> on....
> JerryL
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:54:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Looks like I will be buying a copy of WinFax Pro 10.0 by Symantic. They
assure me
it will do what I need...

JerryL

--
JerryL


"technishin" wrote:

> Any luck? I'm having same issue.
>
> "JerryL" wrote:
>
> > I have XP fax working fine except I want all incoming faxes to auto store
> > into a folder on another hard drive on another computer. I can't get it to
> > do anything other than store into a folder on the computer it is installed
> > on....
> > JerryL
Related resources
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:19:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

First share the folder.
Then try giving the Network Service of the Fax machine write permissions on
the folder both in Sharing Permissions and Folder Security.


--
---

Renu Bhattar [MSFT]

Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Faxing
This posting isprovided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Please do not send mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
purposes only.

"JerryL" <JerryL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9E40CA76-2E23-4D1A-B151-67C4C630E7DB@microsoft.com...
>I have XP fax working fine except I want all incoming faxes to auto store
> into a folder on another hard drive on another computer. I can't get it
> to
> do anything other than store into a folder on the computer it is installed
> on. All the other computers are accessable via the LAN etc. Any help
> would
> be appreciated. I suspect I'm going to have to try and buy a fax program?
> Any comments would be appreciated.
> --
> JerryL
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:55:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I'm trying to write my incoming faxes to a network share too, but I'm
doing it in a 2003 domain using Windows Server 2003 Standard.

The fax service runs as (what looks to me) a local service with the
credentials NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService and uses the local
Administrator password from before I joined this server to the domain.

I tried changing the fax service credentials to MYDOMAIN\Administrator
but upon restarting the fax service, it immediately dies.

So I changed it back to NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService and gave NETWORK
and SYSTEM full control to the shared network folder... but when I
browse to the UNC path \\myshare\myincomingfaxes it errors out
claiming it doesn't have access. Of course not... a local account
versus domain security. This to me would be along the same lines as
relaying faxes from 1 pc to another pc... the SID credentials won't
match so access will be blocked.

The only way I can get this fax server to write to my shared folder is
if I allow the EVERYONE object both read & write permissions.

Is there something I'm missing or any work-around for getting faxes to
deposit on a remote machine's folder?










On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:19:04 +0530, "Renu Bhattar [MSFT]"
<rbhattar@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>First share the folder.
>Then try giving the Network Service of the Fax machine write permissions on
>the folder both in Sharing Permissions and Folder Security.
!