Coolermaster IHC-H71

stevez6971

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
Has anyone replaced their loud fan on this Heatsink? If yes, what did you go with and is it that much quiter and how much was the temp change if any? I also read you can modify the voltage to 7 or modify the rpm to 3800 to quiet the existing fan. How does one make those modifications? I'm running an Aopen AX45-8XN MOBO with a 2.8ghz P4. The fan sounds like a dustbuster is running so I'm lookin for something a little quieter. Thanks.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey I did this last night! It WORKED! It is extremely simple to do. Find or buy a spare Molex connector (the ones used on your power supply with 4 leads arranged as follows:

1.Yellow: 12V
2.Black: GND
3.Black: GND
4.Red: 5V

The connector on the IHC-H71 is normally connected to 1 and 2 above (i.e. 12V and GND). All you have to do is pull out the GND wire (number 2) and put the 5V (number 4) in its place. This produces a voltage difference of 12V-(+5V)= +7V. This translates to ~42% less power to the fan which I'm guessing produces around 2500-3000 rpms. I can't give you the exact rpms because the fan-speed monitor will not work with this modifcation. My guess is it the fan speed's voltage output is normally between +5V and GND. Well now the GND plane for the fan is at +5V so it won't work.

Temperature wise, I noticed VERY little increase in temperature. However, I haven't tried running the CPU under full load either. My guess is this modification will have a slightly larger impact under load. The heatsink on the IHC-H71 is awesome, and pretty much takes care of most of the heat. If your losing your insanity over the noise issue like me, it is worth doing this quick 5 minute modification.

Just a note on how to switch the leads. There's two tabs that prevent the stub from being pulled out of the connector. I resorted to brute force and pulled it out, and then I repaired the bent stubs by just straightening them out. I then reinserted the stub. A better approach is to use a really fine set of tweezers or something to depress the stop-tabs before yanking the stub out.

Let me know if you need more details. One more thing, I read somewhere that "your power supply needs to be able to handle the extra load on the +5V rail". My Antec480W ps doesn't seem to care...