Choppy Games

Last response: in Video Games
October 5, 2012 8:19:25 AM

Hello, i have a pc with the following specs:

Operating System: Windows 7
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS

When playing games like assasin creed,the witcher, skyrim, dragona, kingdom of amalur. The game is choppy and it seems to slow down. I read somewhere that the primary reason could be the insufficiency of the video card.

Questions:

1. Will upgrading my video card allow me to run games more smoothly?
2. What video card should i look for?

Im currently using a 42" HDTV as my monitor. Even when I was using a 22" monitor, my pc seems unable to run games smoothly.

sorry for the bad english.

More about : choppy games

October 5, 2012 8:40:28 AM

Hello,

I had the same processor as you and had a 9600GT I had the same kind of problem and upgraded to a Bulldozerfx 6100. Now when I play games like skyrim I can max them out at around 45-60 fps and it never drops below 30. I would suggest upgrading your cpu as its not going to be using the gpu at its full.

Hope it helps
Score
Related resources
October 5, 2012 12:58:13 PM

noise said:
Your CPU isn't great by today's standards but your GPU is the most obvious cause of the poor performance. See the following chart, higher is better.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-revi...

I read somewhere that to fully use the potential of a video card, i may need to upgrade my CPU. What would you suggest? Just enough to play a game in 1920x1080 res smoothly would be nice.

Hello,

I had the same processor as you and had a 9600GT I had the same kind of problem and upgraded to a Bulldozerfx 6100. Now when I play games like skyrim I can max them out at around 45-60 fps and it never drops below 30. I would suggest upgrading your cpu as its not going to be using the gpu at its full.

Hope it helps said:
Hello,

Hope it helps

Did you have to replace your CPU or just the video card?
And upgrade to what? Im thinking of changing to i5-3550 or maybe an AMD alternative. I have to canvass for prices first. I read here that i7 is not that different from i5 for gaming and I would rather have the extra money for the video card.

What do you think?
Score

Best solution

October 8, 2012 7:37:58 PM

hi due to your system specs, it looks like your very budget conscience.
a gtx650 is really better to me for the money with a good processor, the faster the processor, the faster the video card will perform, better than anyone thinks. the 3550 is a really good processor, and i like my gtx650 because it has physx. and offloads it to the card. nvidia posted a side by side video comparing a 9800gt vs a 560ti i think and it was incredible the difference between the two technologies in bf3. there was this studdering while moving i kept getting just like in the video and the new technologies dont so it. i even had two 9800gt's slied.

i have two computers
1 3770 gtx660ti 3gb 256gb ssd 8gb ripjaws.
2 g2120 gtx650 superclocked 1tb wd black 8gb ripjaws.

the ssd and the processor make more difference and improvement in everything than anything else. ive benchmarked everything every way.
ps no sandy bridge or ivy bridge will ever have any heat on any part of the motherboard and will last forever! all amd's overheat and all components on the mb will be too hot to touch! ive just sold my 1100t and 965 black.
and the computers ive built according to neweggs wattage calculator dont need anything over a 500watt powersupply.

oh yeah ive ran a wattage meter at my power outlet and while gaming in bf3 on my 3770 computer is max 155 watts!! my g2120 is using 125 watts!
November 16, 2012 12:06:07 AM

Best answer selected by xd9999.
Score
!