Athlon 2100+ & Volcano 7?

Wrayver

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Im currently using a newly bought Athlon XP 2100+ , and using the standard AMD Fan that comes with it ... Although My CPU is sitting at 70 Degrees Celsius, all the time... Im afraid the game due to high heat levels.. My System temp is @ a constant 50 Degrees aswell ...
I was considering buying a Volcano 7 i saw up the road, but im not to sure how it would cool my athlon... can anyone help me ?.. im abit newb to cooling issues...
Im currently using 2 System fans aswell ... Help plz !..
:?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
That Volcano will do nicely. Everyone likes them because of the speed switch that comes with the plus version.

Other than that, get any copper heatsink, and slap a 80mm fan on it to keep it quiet. You can do it for under $20.

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

Wrayver

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
I was gonna order in a volcano 9 .... you think that will be sweet ?.... Hope so , coz right now im runnin @ 70 degrees

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Right know I own 3 Volcano 7+ 's. There is a big difference between the 7 and the 7+. I have them on a T-Bird 1200, a 1700+ XP, and a 2200+ XP. You will need to do the coversions but 2200+ 114F under load, 1700+ 104F under load, the T-Bird 1200 120F under load. I am VERY happy with the Volcano 7+ HS and fan. The fan is manualy adjustable. ALL COPPER. They just reciently changed the clip to grab all the lugs (3 on each side). They cost between $32.00 US and $39.00 US. Good luck.

Hang in there. It can only get better!

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Hey.. me again... I want to comment more on you problem... That is pretty hot.. Well above normal. First of all did you take off the protective cover that protects the thermal pad on the HS? If it didnt have a pad on the bottom, did you yse any thermal paste? I reccomend Artic Silver III. If you are interested in Artic Silver, got to ther web site to get directions. If you used thermal paste, did you use too much? Did you check and see if your HS is setting flat on the CPU slug? If you are going to upgrade your HS, get some Artic Silver III. I hope this helps also.

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Hey.. me again... I want to comment more on you problem... That is pretty hot.. Well above normal. First of all did you take off the protective cover that protects the thermal pad on the HS? If it didnt have a pad on the bottom, did you use any thermal paste? I reccomend Artic Silver III. If you are interested in Artic Silver, got to ther web site to get directions. If you used thermal paste, did you use too much? Did you check and see if your HS is setting flat on the CPU slug? If you are going to upgrade your HS, get some Artic Silver III. I hope this helps also.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Your system temp is 50 deg? That's way too high. You will get better results from a case fan than a new HSF (and their cheeper too).

20 deg above ambient isn't that bad for a HSF. Getting a new case fan will lower your ambient. Get your ambient somewhere in the 30's and your HSF will keep your CPU somewhere in the 50's. No way will you get your CPU in the 50's if your case temp is in the 50's, I don't care how good a HSF you get.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
That is a good point about the system temp.. The only thing that you have to keep in mind about system temp is, Where is the sensor? I have on motherboard where the sensor is right near the heatsink of my GeForce4 TI4600 video card. As you can guess, due to the heat that the video card produces the case temp reading is deceiving. You do need proper ventalation in the case though. Another thing that can help you with case cooling is a GOOD power supply with duel fans. TAke care.

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
These guys are right. One case fan will outperform any heatsink mod you make if you don't have any to begin wiht.

Is there a synonym for thesaurus?