funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I've been running AMD since my trusty K6-2 300mhz cpu. Currently a T-Bird 1ghz AXIA stepping OC'ed to 1.3ghz. I'm half tempted to upgrade the whole kit n kaboodle this spring time.

Read the recent comparisons between the Thourougbred "B" and the Intel 2.8, which the XP didn't fair to well against at it's rated 2800+. As much as I'd hate to, but it seems the Intel P4 is the way to go in the current landscape of CPU architecture, with it's adding Hyperthreading to it's newest lineup???

Please tell me that something decent is going to come out of the Dresden Fab before I upgrade my guts. Is it me or is AMD really lacking on the warfront lately?? I dunno, just having some beers and letting you guys know my thoughts.

Tell me some good news to keep me on the AMD path.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

Biznaz

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2002
there isn't really any good news about amd. The clawhammer keeps getting pushed back, while old cores get patched up so they can add a few more mhz. When intel releases HyperThreading, i think that'll be it for amd in the server market, if its reasonably priced. Also, if its not too expensive, it could become the enthusiasts choice of processor. Performing as well as 2 procs, but costing as much as one is one hell of a price/performance ratio.

The deal with Cray will give amd some much needed publicity (AMDme anyone?) and quite a bit revenue.

I seriously hope AMD doesn't get cornered with their PR "xx00+" ratings. It was quite a sight, back when the tbird hit 1ghz and it was blowing away anything intel could offer. I wish the palomino core scaled as well as the northwood... I might actually see an AMD commercial on tv. Wouldn't that be wierd