Verizon EVDO latency

Hello!

I just purchased a Novatel V620 PC card for my laptop to use the EVDO
network. My download speeds are about 600Kbps, but ping times average around
160ms. That seems excessive and I was wondering what other folks think about
it. I am in Orange County, CA. My brother in San Diego, CA, has the Audiovox
PC5220 card and has ping times around 300ms.

What has been your experience?

Gregg Hill
6 answers Last reply
More about verizon evdo latency

    Gregg,

    I've been using Verizon EVDO for about a year and have traveled around the
    US, to cities like San Diego, Austin, Dallas and others with EVDO covereage.
    My experience with network latency has been about the same as yours and your
    friend's, averaging from about 100ms to over 300ms. This is to be expected
    because of the nature of the cellular network, which has to use many more
    hops to connect to the Internet than your typical "wired" connection. Many
    times there are several microwave links, fiber optic routes or land lines
    that add to the delay of the IP route.

    For the most part, though, I have found the latency to be acceptable for
    most use.

    -Reed

    Pretty normal, I'd say. Seems to be highest around noon, for some reason.

    The latency should have no effect on a download once started. Sometimes it seems to take forever
    when I try to save a web page though (for the dialog box to come up)!

    Downloads average 70KB or thereabouts (about 560Kb). Connect times average around 3 to 5 seconds.

    Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.

    Andromedan

    "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:w7f6e.3097$DV.1216@twister.socal.rr.com...
    > Hello!
    >
    > I just purchased a Novatel V620 PC card for my laptop to use the EVDO network. My download speeds
    > are about 600Kbps, but ping times average around 160ms. That seems excessive and I was wondering
    > what other folks think about it. I am in Orange County, CA. My brother in San Diego, CA, has the
    > Audiovox PC5220 card and has ping times around 300ms.
    >
    > What has been your experience?
    >
    > Gregg Hill

    "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > I just purchased a Novatel V620 PC card for my laptop to use the EVDO
    > network. My download speeds are about 600Kbps, but ping times average
    around
    > 160ms. That seems excessive and I was wondering what other folks think
    about
    > it. I am in Orange County, CA. My brother in San Diego, CA, has the
    Audiovox
    > PC5220 card and has ping times around 300ms.
    >
    > What has been your experience?
    >
    > Gregg Hill
    >
    > Actually..ping times don't mean much to me...I look at thruput..or the
    ability to transfer files in a timely manner.
    Around the Los Angeles area I typically get Uploads around 100K and
    downloads between 800 and 1200 on a PC-5220 card in a Pentium-M laptop .
    Quite usable most of the time.
    If you are running "Venturi" software, TURN IT OFF.....I find things are
    much better without it.

    > The latency should have no effect on a download once started.

    I agree that there is much more concern about latency than it deserves.
    But... one thing that is affected very much by latency is simple web
    surfing. Page after page after page of half second (or more) delays become
    very difficult to accept. Especially in a cellphone without much in the way
    of page caching ability. As you say, downloads are fine. Ask yourself this
    question though; are you likely to do more surfing or more downloading on a
    cellphone web plan? After all, without a hard disk, how much can you really
    download on a cellphone anyway?

    But, having said that, I agree it is inherent in the wireless technology.
    Even folks with wireless Internet connections at home see this type of
    latency. I do believe it is something we are going to have to live with for
    the future.

    -Frank

    Actually, the latency has much more to do with the coding and modulation of
    the wireless signal than it does with the backbone network. All ISP's have
    to traverse multiple hops before hitting the server of your choice,
    depending on where that server is in relation to you. What most ISP's don't
    have to do is all the functions necessary to make the wireless signal secure
    and robust enough to traverse the airlink with an acceptable level of error.

    Mike Gorman

    "Reed" <reed@NO.SPAMrinn.com> wrote in message
    > Gregg,
    >
    > I've been using Verizon EVDO for about a year and have traveled around the
    > US, to cities like San Diego, Austin, Dallas and others with EVDO
    covereage.
    > My experience with network latency has been about the same as yours and
    your
    > friend's, averaging from about 100ms to over 300ms. This is to be
    expected
    > because of the nature of the cellular network, which has to use many more
    > hops to connect to the Internet than your typical "wired" connection.
    Many
    > times there are several microwave links, fiber optic routes or land lines
    > that add to the delay of the IP route.
    >
    > For the most part, though, I have found the latency to be acceptable for
    > most use.
    >
    > -Reed

    Frankster,

    I am using a Novatel V620 PC card in my laptop. I do not have an
    EVDO-capable cell phone. Overall, it is quite handy to have the card. I
    never realized how much I could get done in a day. For example, I was
    getting my truck washed yesterday, which takes about 30 minutes. I fired up
    the laptop, got on line, looked up some software prices, and sent a few
    emails. WAY COOL!

    Thanks to everyone for their answers. At least I know it is the normal
    behavior.

    Gregg Hill

    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >> The latency should have no effect on a download once started.
    >
    > I agree that there is much more concern about latency than it deserves.
    > But... one thing that is affected very much by latency is simple web
    > surfing. Page after page after page of half second (or more) delays
    > become very difficult to accept. Especially in a cellphone without much in
    > the way of page caching ability. As you say, downloads are fine. Ask
    > yourself this question though; are you likely to do more surfing or more
    > downloading on a cellphone web plan? After all, without a hard disk, how
    > much can you really download on a cellphone anyway?
    >
    > But, having said that, I agree it is inherent in the wireless technology.
    > Even folks with wireless Internet connections at home see this type of
    > latency. I do believe it is something we are going to have to live with
    > for the future.
    >
    > -Frank

Verizon Latency Internet Service Providers