Slow print job startup

WinXP Pro + SP2
Intel Celeron 2.6GHz + 500Mb ram + HP Deskjet840C

Over the last few weeks print jobs seem to take longer and longer to start,
perhaps 20seconds or more. These are one page text only jobs, no graphics.
It's a home build PC and completely new (4 months ago). Print jobs started
instantaneously in the beginning.

It's a business PC, so the only s/w is WP and such like. s/w is configured
to tell me when it updates like McAfee, Adobe reader, and XP. They all are
at their lates versions.

Any idea where to start looking?

Regards
Stephen Ford

Byte

In the last 4 months, have you done a disk cleanup of your PC, such as
Temporary Internet Files including offline? Cleanup the Cookies files,
Begin here: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.
Then, open IE (Internet Explorer)>Tools>Internet Options>Delete,
etc...........
Finally, Defrag
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Stephen Ford" wrote:

> WinXP Pro + SP2
> Intel Celeron 2.6GHz + 500Mb ram + HP Deskjet840C
>
> Over the last few weeks print jobs seem to take longer and longer to start,
> perhaps 20seconds or more. These are one page text only jobs, no graphics.
> It's a home build PC and completely new (4 months ago). Print jobs started
> instantaneously in the beginning.
>
> It's a business PC, so the only s/w is WP and such like. s/w is configured
> to tell me when it updates like McAfee, Adobe reader, and XP. They all are
> at their lates versions.
>
> Any idea where to start looking?
>
> Regards
> Stephen Ford

It's the extra time that Word Perfect has to take to negotiate the XP
firewall.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> WinXP Pro + SP2
> Intel Celeron 2.6GHz + 500Mb ram + HP Deskjet840C
>
> Over the last few weeks print jobs seem to take longer and longer to
> start,
> perhaps 20seconds or more. These are one page text only jobs, no graphics.
> It's a home build PC and completely new (4 months ago). Print jobs started
> instantaneously in the beginning.
>
> It's a business PC, so the only s/w is WP and such like. s/w is configured
> to tell me when it updates like McAfee, Adobe reader, and XP. They all
> are
> at their lates versions.
>
> Any idea where to start looking?
>
> Regards
> Stephen Ford

> In the last 4 months, have you done a disk cleanup of your PC, such as
> Temporary Internet Files including offline? Cleanup the Cookies files,
> Begin here: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.
> Then, open IE (Internet Explorer)>Tools>Internet Options>Delete,
> etc...........
> Finally, Defrag

Good ideas. I will have a go and see what happens.

Stephen

> It's the extra time that Word Perfect has to take to negotiate the XP
> firewall.

Well, it was OK to start with, so why the change? I will try the cleanup and
defrag as our other friend suggests and report back.

Stephen

After cleaning up and a defrag, print jobs start a lot more quickly. The
printer responds instantly, even if with a graphics job, the job takes a ten
to twenty seconds to download. Text jobs start within seconds.

I hadn't thought that this would be the cause with a 2.6GHz processor and
75% free of a 30Gb system partition.

Thanks
Stephen Ford