Volcano 7+ fan controller

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
I just got the thermaltake volcano 7+ and I was wondering whether or not there is a way to not leave the fan speed controller just hanging around. I currently have it taped to the side of my case but I want to know what people who have the same heatsink do with them. Thanks!

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I took it out of the loop all together ! Although I have an Asus motherboard that allows the speed to manually set in the BIOS, if you do not have this function removing the resistor is still possible but you will get it full pelt all the time !

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I drilled a slot into a drive bay cover and epoxy'd it with the switch poking through. Now I can adjust it without getting in the case.

Is there a synonym for thesaurus?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Dude, that is a high velocity 80mm fan. It pulls some MAJOR current. Last time I looked, it was over .65amps.

Unless you're running in low all the time, you're due to burn out some traces.

Other than that, I put some two sided tape on it and set it at the bottom of my case right in front of my front-fan. The little bit of heat it produces is nullified.

Keep it away from the mainboard, no matter what route you choose. Shorting things out can really suck...

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
I thought it was a 70mm fan? I'm using the middle setting which is a steady 4800rpm on the fan. Yeah I taped it on the bottom of my case underneath the front case fan and AWAY from the mainboard (it would suck to short it now since mines in RMA and this one isnt even mine) ^_____^;

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
I dunno about drilling holes in my case.....=\ Not skilled enuf and too lazy to learn that stuff =P However drilling and controlling from outside your case would be the ideal thing to do.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Holy h3ll !

Modding your case to mount that switch external would be very, very easy. But, you'd need a dremel to do it. A torch will punch open too irregular for it to look nice.

Then all you need is some liquid nails, and a small piece of sheet metal. Liquid nails the controller to a rectangular piece of sheet metal, and liquid nails that to the case. Liquid nails because you're probably wanting it on the front panel, which is plastic. A spot weld would work on the side panel if that's where you're going.

Dun and dun. With setup and cleanup, and 10 minutes of holding a heat gun to the glue, 25 minutes.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser