G

Hi. I want to share a DSL connection between my machines.
I'm not a bigtime networker so i can't figure how to do it.
Got 3 computers with win98SE on all. Have one as a "server"
and two clients. The "server" got two NIC's in it, one card
out to the net , the other card configured with a static IP
address which works with my LAN. So this machine could act as a router. Now, how do i configure it so i could share a
Internet connection? The way i've connected the cables is like: DSLmodem straight into the "internet"NIC on the "server",another cable into the LAN NIC and out to a 8 port hub, and my other 2 clients into the hub. Got static IP addresses on all the NIC's except the one out to the Net.
I don't wanna' use some internet connection sharing software. Wanna' learn how to do it manually.
At the moment simply can't get it together...
Would really appreciate some hints.

thanks
compa

G

AS well as I know You can't do it "manually", unless You use linux/unix for it. In M$ you will need anyhow "some internet connection sharing software" as Wingate or such. You need to route internet packages to your local intranet.. Some service providers can configure theyr modems at the client site to do so. Ask your ISP for advice and allowance (not everything possible is allowed).

<i> And they said schizophrenia is annoying?

G

as far as I can see you've got already everything you need.
I don't have a DSL connection but I do the same you wanna do with 5 machines, simply the internet connection happens via a V90 modem.

win98se offers internet-connection-sharing build in.
first check if you've installed it on the server (win98se doesn't install it as default).
just check in control panel/add-remove programs/windows-setup. it's under "internet-Tools".
when it's installed check your internet properties (rightclick the internet-explorer icon on the desktop) and go to the "connection" tab. you should have a button there "sharing". click it and choose your connection type to the internet (should be your DSL-connection that's already been set up) and choose your NIC that you use for the internal network for the home-network-connection.
neadless to say that the box "enable internet connection sharing" must be checked.
after a reboot the internet connection sharing should work.
on the two clients all you have to do is to run the internet connection wizard and tell it that you connect via a LAN.
that's all!

respect!