armada 7800

i hope someone here can help..

i have a 7800, the hardrive died on me, it has a dvd rom and no floppy
i have got a new hardrive but i cannot get it to boot off the xp cd as
it is set to boot of the hardrive. and doesnt go beyond that, it says
no system drive..etc..

ok , how can i install the setup disk and the diag disk manually? can i
make a partition on the drive in my other pc and then just copy the
files there? or is that not possible.

i have downloaded a personal computer diags disk maker appfrom compaqs
hp website and run that to make the floppy , i also have the setup
disk.

this is what i have done.

in a spare pc i have put the new hardrive on its own and tried to boot
off the diag floppy.. no joy the floppy doesnt boot theres nothing on
there to boot off anyway just the diag tools.

so any info would be goood..

is there a way to set this drive up without the damn floppy drive?

i have a floppy drive here but its a usb one and it wont boot off that
as the damn bios is set up not to..

si

--
pk1
4 answers Last reply

    pk1 a écrit:
    > i hope someone here can help..
    >
    > i have a 7800, the hardrive died on me, it has a dvd rom and no floppy
    > i have got a new hardrive but i cannot get it to boot off the xp cd as
    > it is set to boot of the hardrive. and doesnt go beyond that, it says
    > no system drive..etc..
    >
    > ok , how can i install the setup disk and the diag disk manually? can i
    > make a partition on the drive in my other pc and then just copy the
    > files there? or is that not possible.
    >
    > i have downloaded a personal computer diags disk maker appfrom compaqs
    > hp website and run that to make the floppy , i also have the setup
    > disk.
    >
    > this is what i have done.
    >
    > in a spare pc i have put the new hardrive on its own and tried to boot
    > off the diag floppy.. no joy the floppy doesnt boot theres nothing on
    > there to boot off anyway just the diag tools.
    >
    > so any info would be goood..
    >
    > is there a way to set this drive up without the damn floppy drive?
    >
    > i have a floppy drive here but its a usb one and it wont boot off that
    > as the damn bios is set up not to..
    >
    > si

    I think your best option is to get a 7700/7800 floppy drive frome Ebay
    (they are a lot of them for $10) and to boot from a setup floppy, which
    then offers a tool to create the diagnostcs partition on your new HDD.

    In article <pk1.1lu97n@news.computerbanter.com>, pk1
    <pk1.1lu97n@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

    > i hope someone here can help..
    >
    > i have a 7800, the hardrive died on me, it has a dvd rom and no floppy
    > i have got a new hardrive but i cannot get it to boot off the xp cd as
    > it is set to boot of the hardrive. and doesnt go beyond that, it says
    > no system drive..etc..
    >
    > ok , how can i install the setup disk and the diag disk manually? can i
    > make a partition on the drive in my other pc and then just copy the
    > files there? or is that not possible.
    >
    > i have downloaded a personal computer diags disk maker appfrom compaqs
    > hp website and run that to make the floppy , i also have the setup
    > disk.
    >
    > this is what i have done.
    >
    > in a spare pc i have put the new hardrive on its own and tried to boot
    > off the diag floppy.. no joy the floppy doesnt boot theres nothing on
    > there to boot off anyway just the diag tools.
    >
    > so any info would be goood..
    >
    > is there a way to set this drive up without the damn floppy drive?
    >
    > i have a floppy drive here but its a usb one and it wont boot off that
    > as the damn bios is set up not to..
    >
    > si
    Hello there,

    Have you tried going into SETUP (F10 on startup) and enabling
    MULTIBOOT. With MULTIBOOT, you should be able to boot off the DVD.

    Hope this helps,
    Guy

    NoOne a écrit:

    > Hello there,
    >
    > Have you tried going into SETUP (F10 on startup) and enabling
    > MULTIBOOT. With MULTIBOOT, you should be able to boot off the DVD.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Guy

    Sure that will not work, because F10 invokes the setup program from the
    hidden partition on the original Compaq HD, which does not exist on the
    new HD.
    Without a fdd, it is possible to make a standard windows install on the
    HD on a desktop PC (with an 2,5" HD adapter), and then install the HD,
    make a safe mode start and install the drivers. HTH Jerome

    jerome wrote:

    > NoOne a écrit:
    >

    >> Hello there,
    >>
    >> Have you tried going into SETUP (F10 on startup) and enabling
    >> MULTIBOOT. With MULTIBOOT, you should be able to boot off the DVD.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,
    >> Guy
    >

    > Sure that will not work, because F10 invokes the setup program from the
    > hidden partition on the original Compaq HD, which does not exist on the
    > new HD.
    > Without a fdd, it is possible to make a standard windows install on the
    > HD on a desktop PC (with an 2,5" HD adapter), and then install the HD,
    > make a safe mode start and install the drivers. HTH Jerome

    For the Armada 7400 and 7800:
    The "reset button" is CTRL+SHIFT+F11 all at once AS SOON as you hit the
    Power ON button. This will reset the CMOS settings, and i believe the
    PC will boot from CDROM as default.
    Yes, I know I'm 14 days late...

    Arne.

Compaq Floppy Disk Boot Computers