"Lazy" Presario 1250 Laptop

My Presario 1250 laptop is - for lack of a more technical word - lazy.
The response time to keyboard and mouse events is sometimes perfectly
good, and sometimes horrible. I put the cursor over "File" in some
arbitrary program, and the click button appears, but sometimes, there is
no response for up to several seconds. While I am typing text into a
word processor, the text stops appearing for a few seconds, then catches
up with what I typed.

What is characteristic of these 'lazy' events is that just before the
response finally happens, I hear a noise that I interpret as the hard
drive spinning up.

I haven't really any good notion as to how to go about analyzing the
problem, but I wonder if anyone has any notion of what might be
happening. I have Computer Associates EZ-Antivirus; Zone Alarm
Firewall; Spybot Search & Destroy; Ad-Aware.

Running Windows 98 4.10.1998 - the version of Windows that came with the
computer.

Thanks for any help

Eanruig
1 answer Last reply
More about lazy presario 1250 laptop

    Information wrote:
    > My Presario 1250 laptop is - for lack of a more technical word - lazy.
    > The response time to keyboard and mouse events is sometimes perfectly
    > good, and sometimes horrible. I put the cursor over "File" in some
    > arbitrary program, and the click button appears, but sometimes, there
    > is no response for up to several seconds. While I am typing text
    > into a word processor, the text stops appearing for a few seconds,
    > then catches up with what I typed.
    >
    > What is characteristic of these 'lazy' events is that just before the
    > response finally happens, I hear a noise that I interpret as the hard
    > drive spinning up.
    >
    > I haven't really any good notion as to how to go about analyzing the
    > problem, but I wonder if anyone has any notion of what might be
    > happening. I have Computer Associates EZ-Antivirus; Zone Alarm
    > Firewall; Spybot Search & Destroy; Ad-Aware.
    >
    > Running Windows 98 4.10.1998 - the version of Windows that came with
    > the computer.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > Eanruig

    Win98, sad to say, needs a periodic fresh installation. Barring that,
    you can do a few things that will likely help. First, run Disk Cleanup
    and particularly make sure that the Windows/temp directory is empty.
    From Start/Run type: msconfig[enter] and select the Startup tab. Review
    each entry listed ( the exe and dll files) against this site and
    determine if these should be running or not:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php Either uncheck the
    box for those that should not run; or, better, open the application and
    from its options menu disable start when Windows starts. Check that you
    have at least 300-400MB free disk space for Windows. Then run the Disk
    Defragmenter. If you haven't defragged recently, this will take some
    time to complete.

Compaq Laptops Presario Computers