Verizon Data Plans - The Worst?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
$25 an hour.

I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
$15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.

Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
23 answers Last reply
More about verizon data plans worst
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    Sprint is like Verizon! Only better!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I switched from Verizon to Sprint and could not be happier. The unlimited
    Vision internet plan is $10.00 per month. Several guys in my company did a
    cross country test between Verizon and Sprint and found that they are quite
    comparable.

    Bubba


    "JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    news:rtbk515og2gmf3d196pbq1ngid07563co3@4ax.com...
    > I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
    > network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
    > upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
    > me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
    > Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
    > into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
    > me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
    > this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
    > finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
    > network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
    > $25 an hour.
    >
    > I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
    > unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
    > $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
    > countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
    > plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
    > for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
    > to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
    >
    > Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
    > but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
    > their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
    > price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
    > renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
    > issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Do you have anything intelligent to say? The original post speaks the truth.

    Bubba

    "sanchezkk" <sanchezkk@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1113221624.259360.223050@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    > Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    >
    > Sprint is like Verizon! Only better!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa
    > Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
    > Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    >
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I've been a Verizon Wireless customer with two plans for about 7 or 8 years.
    As things are shaping up, it will be the data access that turns me away from
    VZW to other carriers.

    Right now I am using my LG 8000 tethered to my laptop at ~60-80kbps for MOU
    only. If that changes to a fee of any significance, I'll be out-a here
    too.

    I can relate. VZW is trying to hop on the get-rich-quick plan for its data
    services. Little do they realize (IMO!) that data is becoming as common as
    Microwave ovens and is expected to be included in today's plans. Like other
    large companies before them (IBM and Apple come to mind) they'll probably
    find out at some later date, after $ losses, what the customer really
    expected for their $.

    I know this business is based on "what the market will bare". But you don't
    really know that amount until you exceed the $ limits of your customer base
    and it drops off. I believe VZW is on the road to test that number.

    -Frank

    "JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    news:rtbk515og2gmf3d196pbq1ngid07563co3@4ax.com...
    > I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
    > network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
    > upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
    > me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
    > Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
    > into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
    > me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
    > this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
    > finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
    > network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
    > $25 an hour.
    >
    > I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
    > unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
    > $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
    > countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
    > plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
    > for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
    > to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
    >
    > Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
    > but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
    > their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
    > price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
    > renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
    > issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Frankster wrote:
    >
    > I can relate. VZW is trying to hop on the get-rich-quick
    > plan for its data services.

    I assume it was always their plan to sell services and
    content. There is huge revenue potential in that.

    > Little do they realize
    > (IMO!) that data is becoming as common as Microwave
    > ovens and is expected to be included in today's plans.

    Maybe by you. Most cell users consider GIN,
    Txt/Pic messaging, etc. as services and not "data"
    as such.

    > Like
    > other large companies before them (IBM and Apple come to
    > mind) they'll probably find out at some later date, after
    > $ losses, what the customer really expected for their $.
    >
    > I know this business is based on "what the market will
    > bare". But you don't really know that amount until you
    > exceed the $ limits of your customer base and it drops
    > off. I believe VZW is on the road to test that number.

    It will be a very long road. What extremely tiny percentage
    of VZW customers do you believe use their phones as a
    modem or connect directly to the internet?

    -Quick
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Quick" wrote:

    > I assume it was always their plan to sell services and
    > content. There is huge revenue potential in that.

    I certainly do believe that it was. But I think their steadfast "plan" did
    not adjust to demands as technology progressed and consumers expected more.
    To me, it's the old "day late and dollar short" mentality. Refusal to
    constantly re-evaluate your market and trash previous good ideas as they
    become OBE (overcome by events).

    > Maybe by you. Most cell users consider GIN,
    > Txt/Pic messaging, etc. as services and not "data"
    > as such.

    Ahem. Oh yeah? I think 99.99 percent of Verizon Wireless camera phone
    customers are already very very put off that they cannot get pictures off
    their phone without paying VZW to do it. Not to mention the technical PITA
    sending and receiving pictures from you own phone to your own computer. Same
    thing with "you mean I have to PAY for a game as well as PAY to even
    purchase it?" (download time counts MOU). This customer feedback is already
    a truism. Never mind the cell phone as a modem thingy.

    > It will be a very long road. What extremely tiny percentage
    > of VZW customers do you believe use their phones as a
    > modem or connect directly to the internet?

    Now this statement shows your vary narrow view. Think about it. Why do you
    think Starbucks is so damn popular? Because of their coffee? No way. Have
    you visited a Starbucks lately? The damn places are full of people with,
    guess what, LAPTOPS! And NONE of them are on VZW plans. They are on
    T--Mobile subscriptions (unlimited T-1 for $29/mo). I am too. I would much
    prefer the convenience of a VZW plan for $29.00/mo, but, oh no... there is
    no competitive VZW plan. Same thing at airports, convention centers, hotels
    and doughnut shops all over the country. The message? PEOPLE ARE CLAMORING
    FOR INTERNET ACCESS - EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE!

    Things have changed. VZW is probably sticking steadfastly to its previous
    data sales strategy, which in my opinion needs to be re-evaluated and
    adjusted accordingly.

    VZW could go public with a high speed data add-on for a competitive price
    (~$19-29/mo) and steal all this other business. But no, they are still
    thinking that THEIR data plan will command double the $ of everyone else's.
    I don't think so.

    -Frank
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    That's a very good point. I've been with Verizon Wirelss for 7 years
    and their data plans are a slap in the face since they know they
    induced many to have these mobile-to-mobile and family plans. I'm not
    happy they will "leverage" this to bilk me for enough money as
    possible but it's don't train your employees to stick it in my face by
    saying that VZW is doing me a favor by offering me exorbitant data
    plans. I'd never have left the 1X network and gotten a treo.

    I'm really glad tnat my policy is to never sign more than a year
    contract and that I'm working month to month with them. I'm glad that
    others see the same but not glad that this confirms that Verizon
    Wireless is trying to leverage every cent out of us regardless of what
    real market prices are. The inconveniences are built in and they are
    taking advantage of us because they can. This should redefine the term
    "customer loyalty." Screw 'em. :) I may order my Treo 650 tomorrow. :)


    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:46:38 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
    wrote:

    >I've been a Verizon Wireless customer with two plans for about 7 or 8 years.
    >As things are shaping up, it will be the data access that turns me away from
    >VZW to other carriers.
    >
    >Right now I am using my LG 8000 tethered to my laptop at ~60-80kbps for MOU
    >only. If that changes to a fee of any significance, I'll be out-a here
    >too.
    >
    >I can relate. VZW is trying to hop on the get-rich-quick plan for its data
    >services. Little do they realize (IMO!) that data is becoming as common as
    >Microwave ovens and is expected to be included in today's plans. Like other
    >large companies before them (IBM and Apple come to mind) they'll probably
    >find out at some later date, after $ losses, what the customer really
    >expected for their $.
    >
    >I know this business is based on "what the market will bare". But you don't
    >really know that amount until you exceed the $ limits of your customer base
    >and it drops off. I believe VZW is on the road to test that number.
    >
    >-Frank
    >
    >"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    >news:rtbk515og2gmf3d196pbq1ngid07563co3@4ax.com...
    >> I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
    >> network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
    >> upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
    >> me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
    >> Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
    >> into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
    >> me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
    >> this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
    >> finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
    >> network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
    >> $25 an hour.
    >>
    >> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
    >> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
    >> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
    >> countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
    >> plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
    >> for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
    >> to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
    >>
    >> Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
    >> but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
    >> their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
    >> price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
    >> renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
    >> issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
    >
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:35:57 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
    wrote:

    >"Quick" wrote:
    >
    >> It will be a very long road. What extremely tiny percentage
    >> of VZW customers do you believe use their phones as a
    >> modem or connect directly to the internet?
    >
    >Now this statement shows your vary narrow view. Think about it. Why do you
    >think Starbucks is so damn popular? Because of their coffee? No way. Have
    >you visited a Starbucks lately? The damn places are full of people with,
    >guess what, LAPTOPS! And NONE of them are on VZW plans. They are on
    >T--Mobile subscriptions (unlimited T-1 for $29/mo). I am too. I would much
    >prefer the convenience of a VZW plan for $29.00/mo, but, oh no... there is
    >no competitive VZW plan. Same thing at airports, convention centers, hotels
    >and doughnut shops all over the country. The message? PEOPLE ARE CLAMORING
    >FOR INTERNET ACCESS - EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE!
    >
    >Things have changed. VZW is probably sticking steadfastly to its previous
    >data sales strategy, which in my opinion needs to be re-evaluated and
    >adjusted accordingly.
    >
    >VZW could go public with a high speed data add-on for a competitive price
    >(~$19-29/mo) and steal all this other business. But no, they are still
    >thinking that THEIR data plan will command double the $ of everyone else's.
    >I don't think so.

    Frank is on the ball here. Virtually every phone has a camera and SMS
    messages have become the commonplace.

    It's simple. Verizon Wireless believes that it can charge a premium
    because it's wireless "quality" is so much better than the
    competition. That is what they train their reps to say over and over.
    It is better than AT&T on the outskirts of NY but that gap is
    narrowing. It is not so much better than Sprint as they like to
    believe.

    What I think is that VerizonWireless will find that once AT&T/Cingular
    approaches that of the VZW network people will dump Verizon fast.
    There is no customer loyalty when the customer knows he has been
    overpaying for years. I think the venom towards VZW is starting to
    build....
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    JSOUL dot com wrote:

    > I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
    > unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
    > $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?)

    If the technology stays the same, yes. However, the technolgoy hasn't
    stayed the same: the $10 Sprint plan was for old circuit-switched 14.4k
    data throughput, that dinged your minute bucket. $15 gets you 1xRTT,
    unlimited. What EV-DO will cost on Sprint is anyone's guess at this point.


    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I am paying $10 for Sprint Vision and it is 1XRTT. It does not cost $15. I
    am in California.

    Bubba De Bub

    "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
    news:115lk6bpa6pbne0@corp.supernews.com...
    > JSOUL dot com wrote:
    >
    >> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
    >> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
    >> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?)
    >
    > If the technology stays the same, yes. However, the technolgoy hasn't
    > stayed the same: the $10 Sprint plan was for old circuit-switched 14.4k
    > data throughput, that dinged your minute bucket. $15 gets you 1xRTT,
    > unlimited. What EV-DO will cost on Sprint is anyone's guess at this
    > point.
    >
    >
    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    > $15 gets you 1xRTT, unlimited.

    Can you show me this plan, available for purchase for $15?

    -Frank
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    sanchezkk wrote:

    > Sprint is like Verizon! Only better!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa

    They ARE better in my neck of the woods.

    Verizon has coverage in some remote areas where Sprint doesn't, but Verizon
    didn't fix stuff that broke here in the Valley about a year ago, and if I want
    to use my phone in the netherworld between here and Barstow and am not on the
    Interstate, my phone can and will roam on Verizon.

    --
    JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Frankster wrote:
    >>$15 gets you 1xRTT, unlimited.

    > Can you show me this plan, available for purchase for $15?

    > -Frank


    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic=pictureMail

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Oh... I thought you meant VZW.

    -Frank

    "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
    news:115lpihnchft855@corp.supernews.com...
    > Frankster wrote:
    >>>$15 gets you 1xRTT, unlimited.
    >
    >> Can you show me this plan, available for purchase for $15?
    >
    >> -Frank
    >
    >
    > http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic=pictureMail
    >
    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Only good thing about Verizon is the voice coverage. And you pay for it.
    Only reason I'm still with verizon is because that's all I need.


    "JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    news:rtbk515og2gmf3d196pbq1ngid07563co3@4ax.com...
    > I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
    > network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
    > upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
    > me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
    > Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
    > into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
    > me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
    > this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
    > finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
    > network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
    > $25 an hour.
    >
    > I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
    > unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
    > $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
    > countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
    > plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
    > for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
    > to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
    >
    > Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
    > but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
    > their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
    > price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
    > renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
    > issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I understand. But for the needs of a huge, growing number, being able
    to retreive your email is commonplace. Requiring you to pay $25 or a
    through the nose "pay as you go" fee just to use the Internet is
    absurd. Once I'm gone... I'm gone. I'll be taking the rest of the
    family too once their plans expire with Verizon Wireless.

    So that's it. If you will always only need voice coverage, Verizon is
    reasonably competitive. Otherwise... ditch them. Costs 1/3 (WOW) less
    on competing networks. In fact, in thinking about the data plan, you
    could have a second phone for the difference in cost with a data plan
    of anything but Verizon...

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:41:46 GMT, "Falky foo"
    <falkyfoo@bonksbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Only good thing about Verizon is the voice coverage. And you pay for it.
    >Only reason I'm still with verizon is because that's all I need.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    >news:rtbk515og2gmf3d196pbq1ngid07563co3@4ax.com...
    >> I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
    >> network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
    >> upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
    >> me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
    >> Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
    >> into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
    >> me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
    >> this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
    >> finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
    >> network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
    >> $25 an hour.
    >>
    >> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
    >> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
    >> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
    >> countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
    >> plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
    >> for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
    >> to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
    >>
    >> Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
    >> but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
    >> their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
    >> price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
    >> renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
    >> issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
    >
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In article <115lk6bpa6pbne0@corp.supernews.com>, Isaiah Beard
    <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:
    >If the technology stays the same, yes. However, the technolgoy hasn't
    >stayed the same: the $10 Sprint plan was for old circuit-switched 14.4k
    >data throughput, that dinged your minute bucket. $15 gets you 1xRTT,
    >unlimited.

    not quite. The old circuit-switched 14.4k option was Wireless Web and
    costs $5/mo plus airtime.

    1xrtt on Sprint (called Vision) used to cost $10/mo unlimited, but then
    Sprint repackaged the option into "packs" of various sorts, most costing
    $15/mo but including d/l credits. However it is still possible to get plain
    Vision for $10/mo, certainly for business accounts, or if you ask the
    right CS nicely...

    the real deal is that for additional phones on shared (e.g. family) plans,
    Vision for those add'n phones is only $5/mo.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Bubba DeBub wrote:
    > I switched from Verizon to Sprint and could not be happier. The unlimited
    > Vision internet plan is $10.00 per month. Several guys in my company did a
    > cross country test between Verizon and Sprint and found that they are quite
    > comparable.
    >
    > Bubba
    >

    Sprints coverage is like a spiders web along the highways in the 3
    Mid-Atlantic/Northeast states where I commonly travel. I also need to
    use my phone at customer sites that may not be next to the highway. I
    have experienced "why does your phone work here and mine (Sprint)
    doesn't?" quite a few times in my travels.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:48:51 -0400, George <george@nospam.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Bubba DeBub wrote:
    >> I switched from Verizon to Sprint and could not be happier. The unlimited
    >> Vision internet plan is $10.00 per month. Several guys in my company did a
    >> cross country test between Verizon and Sprint and found that they are quite
    >> comparable.
    >>
    >> Bubba
    >>
    >
    >Sprints coverage is like a spiders web along the highways in the 3
    >Mid-Atlantic/Northeast states where I commonly travel. I also need to
    >use my phone at customer sites that may not be next to the highway. I
    >have experienced "why does your phone work here and mine (Sprint)
    >doesn't?" quite a few times in my travels.

    I've notice that it does happen with all networks but you do have a
    point. I remember experiencing that a bit with Sprint in more rural
    areas. I think if you travel a good deal (by vehicle) between states
    you may experience few more dropout spots. On rare occasion I'd have
    the Sprint phone working but not the Verizon but it could also be the
    quality of the phone too. For the most part I think it's safe to say
    that if you're in a major metro area (which should be many) than the
    coverage is pretty close.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 02:35:10 GMT, dantsoREMOVE@yahoo.com (Daniel Tso)
    wrote:

    >In article <115lk6bpa6pbne0@corp.supernews.com>, Isaiah Beard
    ><sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:
    >>If the technology stays the same, yes. However, the technolgoy hasn't
    >>stayed the same: the $10 Sprint plan was for old circuit-switched 14.4k
    >>data throughput, that dinged your minute bucket. $15 gets you 1xRTT,
    >>unlimited.
    >
    >not quite. The old circuit-switched 14.4k option was Wireless Web and
    >costs $5/mo plus airtime.
    >
    >1xrtt on Sprint (called Vision) used to cost $10/mo unlimited, but then
    >Sprint repackaged the option into "packs" of various sorts, most costing
    >$15/mo but including d/l credits. However it is still possible to get plain
    >Vision for $10/mo, certainly for business accounts, or if you ask the
    >right CS nicely...
    >
    >the real deal is that for additional phones on shared (e.g. family) plans,
    >Vision for those add'n phones is only $5/mo.

    True. Unfortunately all those plans are still at least 300% cheaper
    than Verizon's current offering and per discussion with customer
    service, they don't plan on changing it any time soon.

    I'm left with a dilemma. Can I swap my phone out for my old Smartphone
    i-600 (now without all the kinks) and use the old network for air time
    again? At $50 (or $45) a month it's insane. As I've ended my old
    contract, I'll probably go to Sprint.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    >It's simple. Verizon Wireless believes that it can charge a premium
    >because it's wireless "quality" is so much better than the
    >competition. That is what they train their reps to say over and over.
    >It is better than AT&T on the outskirts of NY but that gap is
    >narrowing. It is not so much better than Sprint as they like to
    >believe.

    Sadly, in the NY suburbs, Verizon is the only real option. I still
    can't always drive into the City without dropping a call, but with
    AT&T, Sprint, or T-mobile, I wouldn't have a chance.

    >There is no customer loyalty when the customer knows he has been
    >overpaying for years. I think the venom towards VZW is starting to
    >build....

    This is why their marketing plan is aimed at 2-year contracts.

    -Joel

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    That is not true regarding Sprint in NYC. I have a friend that lives in
    Manhattan and does business in all of NYC and does not have any problems
    with Sprint. He switched from Verizon to Sprint to get better service and is
    very happy.

    Bubba

    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
    news:3FOae.3630$RP1.1645@fe10.lga...
    > >It's simple. Verizon Wireless believes that it can charge a premium
    >>because it's wireless "quality" is so much better than the
    >>competition. That is what they train their reps to say over and over.
    >>It is better than AT&T on the outskirts of NY but that gap is
    >>narrowing. It is not so much better than Sprint as they like to
    >>believe.
    >
    > Sadly, in the NY suburbs, Verizon is the only real option. I still
    > can't always drive into the City without dropping a call, but with
    > AT&T, Sprint, or T-mobile, I wouldn't have a chance.
    >
    >>There is no customer loyalty when the customer knows he has been
    >>overpaying for years. I think the venom towards VZW is starting to
    >>build....
    >
    > This is why their marketing plan is aimed at 2-year contracts.
    >
    > -Joel
    >
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    It isn't just data, it can be regular calls as well.

    When the area was still "alltel" I could drive from Peoria Illinois to
    Cincinnati and hold the call all the way. With Verizon and their "partners"
    I can't check my old voicemail messages without getting disconnected (If I'm
    moving on an interstate). The hand-offs are really becoming terrible. I
    learned to just get used to it; but you shouldn't have to dial, redial,
    redial to make a call on a major interstate. At least that is what I think.
    If I'm standing still VZW is terrific; if I'm moving, not so stellar. dr

    Cross: I39 and 116, traveling n/s on I-39; I-55 and 116, traveling n/s on
    I-55. And if you try and drive e/w on 116, you'll find verizon or enhanced
    the full way, but not be able to hold a call for more than 3 minutes if your
    moving. Handoff, WHAT handoffs. My experience, yours may be differrent. I
    have a tri-mode phone, and it is repeatable (sadly)
    --
    dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
    Wireless Consultant/Engineer & FORMER Midwest VZW Master Agent
    Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
    computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.

    If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
    you. Worried about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.
    cingular<snip>@<snip>wiremore<snip>.biz<snip> remove the obvious please
    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
    news:3FOae.3630$RP1.1645@fe10.lga...
    > >It's simple. Verizon Wireless believes that it can charge a premium
    >>because it's wireless "quality" is so much better than the
    >>competition. That is what they train their reps to say over and over.
    >>It is better than AT&T on the outskirts of NY but that gap is
    >>narrowing. It is not so much better than Sprint as they like to
    >>believe.
    >
    > Sadly, in the NY suburbs, Verizon is the only real option. I still
    > can't always drive into the City without dropping a call, but with
    > AT&T, Sprint, or T-mobile, I wouldn't have a chance.
    >
    >>There is no customer loyalty when the customer knows he has been
    >>overpaying for years. I think the venom towards VZW is starting to
    >>build....
    >
    > This is why their marketing plan is aimed at 2-year contracts.
    >
    > -Joel
    >
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ask a new question

Read More

Verizon Internet Service Providers