Verizon Data Plans - The Worst?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 11, 2005 8:10:55 AM

I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
$25 an hour.

I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
$15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.

Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 9:13:44 AM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sprint is like Verizon! Only better!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa
Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 12:02:05 PM

I switched from Verizon to Sprint and could not be happier. The unlimited
Vision internet plan is $10.00 per month. Several guys in my company did a
cross country test between Verizon and Sprint and found that they are quite
comparable.

Bubba

"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
> network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
> upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
> me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
> Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
> into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
> me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
> this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
> finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
> network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
> $25 an hour.
>
> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
> countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
> plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
> for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
> to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
>
> Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
> but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
> their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
> price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
> renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
> issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
April 11, 2005 12:02:49 PM

Do you have anything intelligent to say? The original post speaks the truth.

Bubba

"sanchezkk" <sanchezkk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>
> Sprint is like Verizon! Only better!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa
> Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
> Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

April 11, 2005 1:46:38 PM

I've been a Verizon Wireless customer with two plans for about 7 or 8 years.
As things are shaping up, it will be the data access that turns me away from
VZW to other carriers.

Right now I am using my LG 8000 tethered to my laptop at ~60-80kbps for MOU
only. If that changes to a fee of any significance, I'll be out-a here
too.

I can relate. VZW is trying to hop on the get-rich-quick plan for its data
services. Little do they realize (IMO!) that data is becoming as common as
Microwave ovens and is expected to be included in today's plans. Like other
large companies before them (IBM and Apple come to mind) they'll probably
find out at some later date, after $ losses, what the customer really
expected for their $.

I know this business is based on "what the market will bare". But you don't
really know that amount until you exceed the $ limits of your customer base
and it drops off. I believe VZW is on the road to test that number.

-Frank

"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
> network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
> upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
> me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
> Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
> into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
> me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
> this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
> finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
> network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
> $25 an hour.
>
> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
> countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
> plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
> for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
> to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
>
> Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
> but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
> their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
> price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
> renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
> issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 2:09:31 PM

Frankster wrote:

> I can relate. VZW is trying to hop on the get-rich-quick
> plan for its data services.

I assume it was always their plan to sell services and
content. There is huge revenue potential in that.

> Little do they realize
> (IMO!) that data is becoming as common as Microwave
> ovens and is expected to be included in today's plans.

Maybe by you. Most cell users consider GIN,
Txt/Pic messaging, etc. as services and not "data"
as such.

> Like
> other large companies before them (IBM and Apple come to
> mind) they'll probably find out at some later date, after
> $ losses, what the customer really expected for their $.
>
> I know this business is based on "what the market will
> bare". But you don't really know that amount until you
> exceed the $ limits of your customer base and it drops
> off. I believe VZW is on the road to test that number.

It will be a very long road. What extremely tiny percentage
of VZW customers do you believe use their phones as a
modem or connect directly to the internet?

-Quick
April 11, 2005 3:35:57 PM

"Quick" wrote:

> I assume it was always their plan to sell services and
> content. There is huge revenue potential in that.

I certainly do believe that it was. But I think their steadfast "plan" did
not adjust to demands as technology progressed and consumers expected more.
To me, it's the old "day late and dollar short" mentality. Refusal to
constantly re-evaluate your market and trash previous good ideas as they
become OBE (overcome by events).

> Maybe by you. Most cell users consider GIN,
> Txt/Pic messaging, etc. as services and not "data"
> as such.

Ahem. Oh yeah? I think 99.99 percent of Verizon Wireless camera phone
customers are already very very put off that they cannot get pictures off
their phone without paying VZW to do it. Not to mention the technical PITA
sending and receiving pictures from you own phone to your own computer. Same
thing with "you mean I have to PAY for a game as well as PAY to even
purchase it?" (download time counts MOU). This customer feedback is already
a truism. Never mind the cell phone as a modem thingy.

> It will be a very long road. What extremely tiny percentage
> of VZW customers do you believe use their phones as a
> modem or connect directly to the internet?

Now this statement shows your vary narrow view. Think about it. Why do you
think Starbucks is so damn popular? Because of their coffee? No way. Have
you visited a Starbucks lately? The damn places are full of people with,
guess what, LAPTOPS! And NONE of them are on VZW plans. They are on
T--Mobile subscriptions (unlimited T-1 for $29/mo). I am too. I would much
prefer the convenience of a VZW plan for $29.00/mo, but, oh no... there is
no competitive VZW plan. Same thing at airports, convention centers, hotels
and doughnut shops all over the country. The message? PEOPLE ARE CLAMORING
FOR INTERNET ACCESS - EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE!

Things have changed. VZW is probably sticking steadfastly to its previous
data sales strategy, which in my opinion needs to be re-evaluated and
adjusted accordingly.

VZW could go public with a high speed data add-on for a competitive price
(~$19-29/mo) and steal all this other business. But no, they are still
thinking that THEIR data plan will command double the $ of everyone else's.
I don't think so.

-Frank
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 4:55:03 PM

That's a very good point. I've been with Verizon Wirelss for 7 years
and their data plans are a slap in the face since they know they
induced many to have these mobile-to-mobile and family plans. I'm not
happy they will "leverage" this to bilk me for enough money as
possible but it's don't train your employees to stick it in my face by
saying that VZW is doing me a favor by offering me exorbitant data
plans. I'd never have left the 1X network and gotten a treo.

I'm really glad tnat my policy is to never sign more than a year
contract and that I'm working month to month with them. I'm glad that
others see the same but not glad that this confirms that Verizon
Wireless is trying to leverage every cent out of us regardless of what
real market prices are. The inconveniences are built in and they are
taking advantage of us because they can. This should redefine the term
"customer loyalty." Screw 'em. :)  I may order my Treo 650 tomorrow. :)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:46:38 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
wrote:

>I've been a Verizon Wireless customer with two plans for about 7 or 8 years.
>As things are shaping up, it will be the data access that turns me away from
>VZW to other carriers.
>
>Right now I am using my LG 8000 tethered to my laptop at ~60-80kbps for MOU
>only. If that changes to a fee of any significance, I'll be out-a here
>too.
>
>I can relate. VZW is trying to hop on the get-rich-quick plan for its data
>services. Little do they realize (IMO!) that data is becoming as common as
>Microwave ovens and is expected to be included in today's plans. Like other
>large companies before them (IBM and Apple come to mind) they'll probably
>find out at some later date, after $ losses, what the customer really
>expected for their $.
>
>I know this business is based on "what the market will bare". But you don't
>really know that amount until you exceed the $ limits of your customer base
>and it drops off. I believe VZW is on the road to test that number.
>
>-Frank
>
>"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
>> I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
>> network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
>> upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
>> me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
>> Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
>> into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
>> me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
>> this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
>> finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
>> network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
>> $25 an hour.
>>
>> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
>> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
>> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
>> countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
>> plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
>> for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
>> to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
>>
>> Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
>> but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
>> their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
>> price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
>> renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
>> issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:23:40 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:35:57 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
wrote:

>"Quick" wrote:
>
>> It will be a very long road. What extremely tiny percentage
>> of VZW customers do you believe use their phones as a
>> modem or connect directly to the internet?
>
>Now this statement shows your vary narrow view. Think about it. Why do you
>think Starbucks is so damn popular? Because of their coffee? No way. Have
>you visited a Starbucks lately? The damn places are full of people with,
>guess what, LAPTOPS! And NONE of them are on VZW plans. They are on
>T--Mobile subscriptions (unlimited T-1 for $29/mo). I am too. I would much
>prefer the convenience of a VZW plan for $29.00/mo, but, oh no... there is
>no competitive VZW plan. Same thing at airports, convention centers, hotels
>and doughnut shops all over the country. The message? PEOPLE ARE CLAMORING
>FOR INTERNET ACCESS - EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE!
>
>Things have changed. VZW is probably sticking steadfastly to its previous
>data sales strategy, which in my opinion needs to be re-evaluated and
>adjusted accordingly.
>
>VZW could go public with a high speed data add-on for a competitive price
>(~$19-29/mo) and steal all this other business. But no, they are still
>thinking that THEIR data plan will command double the $ of everyone else's.
>I don't think so.

Frank is on the ball here. Virtually every phone has a camera and SMS
messages have become the commonplace.

It's simple. Verizon Wireless believes that it can charge a premium
because it's wireless "quality" is so much better than the
competition. That is what they train their reps to say over and over.
It is better than AT&T on the outskirts of NY but that gap is
narrowing. It is not so much better than Sprint as they like to
believe.

What I think is that VerizonWireless will find that once AT&T/Cingular
approaches that of the VZW network people will dump Verizon fast.
There is no customer loyalty when the customer knows he has been
overpaying for years. I think the venom towards VZW is starting to
build....
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:32:27 PM

JSOUL dot com wrote:

> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?)

If the technology stays the same, yes. However, the technolgoy hasn't
stayed the same: the $10 Sprint plan was for old circuit-switched 14.4k
data throughput, that dinged your minute bucket. $15 gets you 1xRTT,
unlimited. What EV-DO will cost on Sprint is anyone's guess at this point.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
April 11, 2005 7:32:28 PM

I am paying $10 for Sprint Vision and it is 1XRTT. It does not cost $15. I
am in California.

Bubba De Bub

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> JSOUL dot com wrote:
>
>> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
>> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
>> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?)
>
> If the technology stays the same, yes. However, the technolgoy hasn't
> stayed the same: the $10 Sprint plan was for old circuit-switched 14.4k
> data throughput, that dinged your minute bucket. $15 gets you 1xRTT,
> unlimited. What EV-DO will cost on Sprint is anyone's guess at this
> point.
>

> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
April 11, 2005 7:32:28 PM

> $15 gets you 1xRTT, unlimited.

Can you show me this plan, available for purchase for $15?

-Frank
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:46:34 PM

sanchezkk wrote:

> Sprint is like Verizon! Only better!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaa

They ARE better in my neck of the woods.

Verizon has coverage in some remote areas where Sprint doesn't, but Verizon
didn't fix stuff that broke here in the Valley about a year ago, and if I want
to use my phone in the netherworld between here and Barstow and am not on the
Interstate, my phone can and will roam on Verizon.

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 9:04:17 PM

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic...

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
April 11, 2005 9:07:25 PM

Oh... I thought you meant VZW.

-Frank

> Frankster wrote:
>>>$15 gets you 1xRTT, unlimited.
>
>> Can you show me this plan, available for purchase for $15?
>
>> -Frank
>

> http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic...
>
> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:41:46 PM

Only good thing about Verizon is the voice coverage. And you pay for it.
Only reason I'm still with verizon is because that's all I need.

"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
> network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
> upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
> me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
> Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
> into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
> me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
> this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
> finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
> network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
> $25 an hour.
>
> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
> countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
> plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
> for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
> to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
>
> Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
> but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
> their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
> price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
> renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
> issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:41:47 PM

I understand. But for the needs of a huge, growing number, being able
to retreive your email is commonplace. Requiring you to pay $25 or a
through the nose "pay as you go" fee just to use the Internet is
absurd. Once I'm gone... I'm gone. I'll be taking the rest of the
family too once their plans expire with Verizon Wireless.

So that's it. If you will always only need voice coverage, Verizon is
reasonably competitive. Otherwise... ditch them. Costs 1/3 (WOW) less
on competing networks. In fact, in thinking about the data plan, you
could have a second phone for the difference in cost with a data plan
of anything but Verizon...

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:41:46 GMT, "Falky foo"
<falkyfoo@bonksbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Only good thing about Verizon is the voice coverage. And you pay for it.
>Only reason I'm still with verizon is because that's all I need.
>

>"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
>> I've been a long time Verizon Wireless customer. I had used the 1X
>> network for a long time and was never informed that the Treo that they
>> upgraded me to (what a fiasco it was with the Smartphone) would cost
>> me a data plan that would change the way I'd do business forever...
>> Instead of using my voice minutes for checking email, I was placed
>> into this outrageous "per kilobyte" usage plan which ended up costing
>> me hundreds of dollars to download nothing. Then they told me about
>> this great "$25/mo. for 5MB" plan that I could go on now that they
>> finally got around to explaining to me that the Treo cannot use the 1X
>> network. At that rate, if you wanted to surf the web it would cost you
>> $25 an hour.
>>
>> I'm now thinking about switching to Sprint. I had a work phone where
>> unlimited Internet cost $10 per month. I understand this went up to
>> $15 (aren't prices supposed to come DOWN for technology?) Verizon
>> countered by telling me that they had their $45 per month unlimited
>> plan which would put my bill way, way over the $100 mark with taxes
>> for just 700 minutes and Internet. In contrast, the Sprint plans seem
>> to smoke the Verizon ones, not to mention the far better phones.
>>
>> Now I'll concede that Sprint's coverage is not as good as Verizon's
>> but I think VZW is not accepting that these guys are catching up and
>> their service is not unusable, at least not Sprint in NYC. At the
>> price differential I'm calculating, I'm wondering why I'd want to
>> renew my contract with Verizon, especially for the Internet data
>> issue. Am I missing some pricing issue here?

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:35:10 AM

In article <115lk6bpa6pbne0@corp.supernews.com>, Isaiah Beard
<sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:
>If the technology stays the same, yes. However, the technolgoy hasn't
>stayed the same: the $10 Sprint plan was for old circuit-switched 14.4k
>data throughput, that dinged your minute bucket. $15 gets you 1xRTT,
>unlimited.

not quite. The old circuit-switched 14.4k option was Wireless Web and
costs $5/mo plus airtime.

1xrtt on Sprint (called Vision) used to cost $10/mo unlimited, but then
Sprint repackaged the option into "packs" of various sorts, most costing
$15/mo but including d/l credits. However it is still possible to get plain
Vision for $10/mo, certainly for business accounts, or if you ask the
right CS nicely...

the real deal is that for additional phones on shared (e.g. family) plans,
Vision for those add'n phones is only $5/mo.
April 12, 2005 1:48:51 PM

Bubba DeBub wrote:
> I switched from Verizon to Sprint and could not be happier. The unlimited
> Vision internet plan is $10.00 per month. Several guys in my company did a
> cross country test between Verizon and Sprint and found that they are quite
> comparable.
>
> Bubba

Sprints coverage is like a spiders web along the highways in the 3
Mid-Atlantic/Northeast states where I commonly travel. I also need to
use my phone at customer sites that may not be next to the highway. I
have experienced "why does your phone work here and mine (Sprint)
doesn't?" quite a few times in my travels.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 5:34:25 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:48:51 -0400, George <george@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Bubba DeBub wrote:
>> I switched from Verizon to Sprint and could not be happier. The unlimited
>> Vision internet plan is $10.00 per month. Several guys in my company did a
>> cross country test between Verizon and Sprint and found that they are quite
>> comparable.
>>
>> Bubba
>>

>Sprints coverage is like a spiders web along the highways in the 3
>Mid-Atlantic/Northeast states where I commonly travel. I also need to
>use my phone at customer sites that may not be next to the highway. I
>have experienced "why does your phone work here and mine (Sprint)
>doesn't?" quite a few times in my travels.

I've notice that it does happen with all networks but you do have a
point. I remember experiencing that a bit with Sprint in more rural
areas. I think if you travel a good deal (by vehicle) between states
you may experience few more dropout spots. On rare occasion I'd have
the Sprint phone working but not the Verizon but it could also be the
quality of the phone too. For the most part I think it's safe to say
that if you're in a major metro area (which should be many) than the
coverage is pretty close.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:16:17 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 02:35:10 GMT, dantsoREMOVE@yahoo.com (Daniel Tso)
wrote:

>In article <115lk6bpa6pbne0@corp.supernews.com>, Isaiah Beard
><sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:
>>If the technology stays the same, yes. However, the technolgoy hasn't
>>stayed the same: the $10 Sprint plan was for old circuit-switched 14.4k
>>data throughput, that dinged your minute bucket. $15 gets you 1xRTT,
>>unlimited.
>
>not quite. The old circuit-switched 14.4k option was Wireless Web and
>costs $5/mo plus airtime.
>
>1xrtt on Sprint (called Vision) used to cost $10/mo unlimited, but then
>Sprint repackaged the option into "packs" of various sorts, most costing
>$15/mo but including d/l credits. However it is still possible to get plain
>Vision for $10/mo, certainly for business accounts, or if you ask the
>right CS nicely...
>
>the real deal is that for additional phones on shared (e.g. family) plans,
>Vision for those add'n phones is only $5/mo.

True. Unfortunately all those plans are still at least 300% cheaper
than Verizon's current offering and per discussion with customer
service, they don't plan on changing it any time soon.

I'm left with a dilemma. Can I swap my phone out for my old Smartphone
i-600 (now without all the kinks) and use the old network for air time
again? At $50 (or $45) a month it's insane. As I've ended my old
contract, I'll probably go to Sprint.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 7:09:51 PM

>It's simple. Verizon Wireless believes that it can charge a premium
>because it's wireless "quality" is so much better than the
>competition. That is what they train their reps to say over and over.
>It is better than AT&T on the outskirts of NY but that gap is
>narrowing. It is not so much better than Sprint as they like to
>believe.

Sadly, in the NY suburbs, Verizon is the only real option. I still
can't always drive into the City without dropping a call, but with
AT&T, Sprint, or T-mobile, I wouldn't have a chance.

>There is no customer loyalty when the customer knows he has been
>overpaying for years. I think the venom towards VZW is starting to
>build....

This is why their marketing plan is aimed at 2-year contracts.

-Joel

Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
April 24, 2005 7:09:52 PM

That is not true regarding Sprint in NYC. I have a friend that lives in
Manhattan and does business in all of NYC and does not have any problems
with Sprint. He switched from Verizon to Sprint to get better service and is
very happy.

Bubba

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> >It's simple. Verizon Wireless believes that it can charge a premium
>>because it's wireless "quality" is so much better than the
>>competition. That is what they train their reps to say over and over.
>>It is better than AT&T on the outskirts of NY but that gap is
>>narrowing. It is not so much better than Sprint as they like to
>>believe.
>
> Sadly, in the NY suburbs, Verizon is the only real option. I still
> can't always drive into the City without dropping a call, but with
> AT&T, Sprint, or T-mobile, I wouldn't have a chance.
>
>>There is no customer loyalty when the customer knows he has been
>>overpaying for years. I think the venom towards VZW is starting to
>>build....
>
> This is why their marketing plan is aimed at 2-year contracts.
>
> -Joel

> Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
April 25, 2005 11:54:37 AM

It isn't just data, it can be regular calls as well.

When the area was still "alltel" I could drive from Peoria Illinois to
Cincinnati and hold the call all the way. With Verizon and their "partners"
I can't check my old voicemail messages without getting disconnected (If I'm
moving on an interstate). The hand-offs are really becoming terrible. I
learned to just get used to it; but you shouldn't have to dial, redial,
redial to make a call on a major interstate. At least that is what I think.
If I'm standing still VZW is terrific; if I'm moving, not so stellar. dr

Cross: I39 and 116, traveling n/s on I-39; I-55 and 116, traveling n/s on
I-55. And if you try and drive e/w on 116, you'll find verizon or enhanced
the full way, but not be able to hold a call for more than 3 minutes if your
moving. Handoff, WHAT handoffs. My experience, yours may be differrent. I
have a tri-mode phone, and it is repeatable (sadly)
--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & FORMER Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you. Worried about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.