faxing from conexant d110 v.9x on winxp to old fax with sl..

hi...

I need to add a delay to the modem commands in order to send faxes to a slow
old fax machine. Fax machine also answer phone; has recorded message.
Therefore not connecting after ring....need to add a pause or additional
waiting time to the string.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks very much,
Sara
7 answers Last reply
More about faxing conexant d110 winxp

    You should be able to make your modem wait longer by adding a series of
    commas to the end of the phone number it dials. Each comma adds a 2-3
    second pause to the modem's dial function, enough of them should keep the
    modem in dial mode long enough for the recorded message to finish before it
    goes into listen mode.

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    "Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > You should be able to make your modem wait longer by adding a
    > series of
    > commas to the end of the phone number it dials. Each comma adds a
    > 2-3
    > second pause to the modem's dial function, enough of them should
    > keep the
    > modem in dial mode long enough for the recorded message to finish
    > before it
    > goes into listen mode.
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    Does not the message begin after the fax machine answers? Any
    delays prior to sending the dialing string through the phone network
    should have no effect upon the machine which answers the call.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    Dear Earl, Hal,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I thought of adding the adding commas (pauses) but didn't do so. No command
    in initial dial string will be received by fax machine...won't it only go as
    far as the PSTN, if I remember my basic datacom correctly ?

    Is the modem in ''dial mode'' until it receives 'handshake'', a connect
    statement from the receiving fax ?

    And yes, message beigins after fax connects.

    Any ideas where to find the script ? if someone can tell me where to
    look....cuz but not super familiar with current changes in datacom esp. with
    regard to MS XP.

    I will give adding the commas a go. But I reckon that I need to add a
    command somewhere else....

    Any other ideas ?

    Thanks,
    Sara

    "Earl F. Parrish" wrote:

    > "Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
    > > You should be able to make your modem wait longer by adding a
    > > series of
    > > commas to the end of the phone number it dials. Each comma adds a
    > > 2-3
    > > second pause to the modem's dial function, enough of them should
    > > keep the
    > > modem in dial mode long enough for the recorded message to finish
    > > before it
    > > goes into listen mode.
    > >
    > > Hal
    > > --
    > > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
    > > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
    > > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > >

    > Does not the message begin after the fax machine answers? Any
    > delays prior to sending the dialing string through the phone network
    > should have no effect upon the machine which answers the call.
    >

    > --
    > Earl F. Parrish

    The point here is that the sending modem will ignore whatever the receiving
    modem is doing until it finishes transmitting it's dial string. Note that
    the phone system should connect the receiving Fax machine as soon as the
    last correct digit of the phone number is transmitted; this distant fax
    machine is being dialed and should answer and send it's recorded message
    while the sending modem is still chewing it's way through the commas at the
    end of the dial string. Eventually the sending modem will run out of commas
    and switch to listen mode and the receiving machine should finish it's
    recorded announcement. If the sending machine finishes roughly the same
    time as the receiving end, they should both begin their Fax negotiation
    tones about the same time, and the system should work.

    Hal
    --

    > The point here is that the sending modem will ignore whatever the
    > receiving
    > modem is doing until it finishes transmitting it's dial string.
    > Note that
    > the phone system should connect the receiving Fax machine as soon
    > as the
    > last correct digit of the phone number is transmitted; this
    > distant fax
    > machine is being dialed and should answer and send it's recorded
    > message
    > while the sending modem is still chewing it's way through the
    > commas at the
    > end of the dial string. Eventually the sending modem will run out
    > of commas
    > and switch to listen mode and the receiving machine should finish
    > it's
    > recorded announcement. If the sending machine finishes roughly
    > the same
    > time as the receiving end, they should both begin their Fax
    > negotiation
    > tones about the same time, and the system should work.

    The problem is that the sending modem broadcasts its CNG tones as
    soon as it finishes dialing the last digit. This continues for
    forty-five seconds. If the receiving modem does not start its
    answer tones within the forty-five second time period with about
    four to six seconds overlap, there will be no fax sent. The sending
    modem does not care what the answering modem does prior to getting
    the answer tones from it. The answer tones just have to be
    broadcast long enough for the training of the two machines so that
    the fax can be sent.

    With a separate answering machine which answers all calls and the
    fax machine is properly configured, the receiving fax machine
    eavesdrops during the first six seconds of the outgoing announcement
    to listen for the CNG tones. If they are detected, the fax machine
    takes over the call. If there are no CNG tones the fax machine lets
    the answering machine continue. As a matter of fact, if you have a
    fax machine on the same phone line as a fax modem, the fax machine
    will intercept outgoing faxes and stop you from reaching a distant
    machine or fax modem.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    I suspect my old USR fax modem may behave differently than newer modems
    because I can add a series of commas to the end of a number to be dialed and
    this particular modem will NOT switch on it's CNG tones until it finishes
    dealing with the last comma at the end of the dial string. I can make it
    completely ignore a fax machine I call with enough of them; the called
    machine answers and sends CNG tones, but gives up and hangs after 30 seconds
    or so when it gets no response from my modem (which is still busy with
    commas).

    Hal
    --

    >I suspect my old USR fax modem may behave differently than newer
    >modems
    > because I can add a series of commas to the end of a number to be
    > dialed and
    > this particular modem will NOT switch on it's CNG tones until it
    > finishes
    > dealing with the last comma at the end of the dial string. I can
    > make it
    > completely ignore a fax machine I call with enough of them; the
    > called
    > machine answers and sends CNG tones, but gives up and hangs after
    > 30 seconds
    > or so when it gets no response from my modem (which is still busy
    > with
    > commas).
    >
    > Hal
    > --
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    I suspect that your modem was still sending out the CNG tones but
    was ignoring the answer tones from the other modem. Some fax
    machines have an International Call setting which sends the CNG
    tones for a longer time if the dialing string is long and the
    switching is slow. The forty-five seconds could expire before the
    distant machine is reached without that feature.

    The only way to really tell what is happening is to dial a voice
    line and listen to the incoming fax attempt.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

Fax Microsoft Conexant Windows XP