Spooler Subsystem Application Problem

I keep getting a message "Spooler Subsystem App has encountered a problem and
needs to close." No error code is provided. I have Done a virus scan
(PC-cillin) with no problems identified. I have done a restore back prior to
problem and I have done a Windows XP Home Sp2 reinstall. I still have the
problem. Both attached printers are HPs (Laser 1012 & Deskjet 820cse) via
USB -- both are recognized by the system but can't print because the Spooler
is not operating.

Any suggestions on where I go from here?
--
alw
6 answers Last reply

    This should be your first stop:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Wolfgang" <bigal@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I keep getting a message "Spooler Subsystem App has encountered a problem
    >and
    > needs to close." No error code is provided. I have Done a virus scan
    > (PC-cillin) with no problems identified. I have done a restore back prior
    > problem and I have done a Windows XP Home Sp2 reinstall. I still have the
    > problem. Both attached printers are HPs (Laser 1012 & Deskjet 820cse) via
    > USB -- both are recognized by the system but can't print because the
    > Spooler
    > is not operating.
    >
    > Any suggestions on where I go from here?
    > --
    > alw

    Thanks Cari, but after I returned to normal operations i got the same
    message. Some where I've got a program conflict and I can't seem to identify
    what it is. What programs other than the printers use the spooler system?
    alw

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > This should be your first stop:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Wolfgang" <bigal@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >I keep getting a message "Spooler Subsystem App has encountered a problem
    > >and
    > > needs to close." No error code is provided. I have Done a virus scan
    > > (PC-cillin) with no problems identified. I have done a restore back prior
    > > problem and I have done a Windows XP Home Sp2 reinstall. I still have the
    > > problem. Both attached printers are HPs (Laser 1012 & Deskjet 820cse) via
    > > USB -- both are recognized by the system but can't print because the
    > > Spooler
    > > is not operating.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on where I go from here?
    > > --
    > > alw

    Nothing... unless you have Adobe Acrobat (full version) installed or
    (perhaps, not sure... Hal will help me on this one...) Microsoft Fax.

    Try a complete blitz on the printer drivers...

    Ensure after rebooting, that you have the very latest drivers for your
    printers from the manufacturers' websites.
    --

    > Thanks Cari, but after I returned to normal operations i got the same
    > message. Some where I've got a program conflict and I can't seem to
    > identify
    > what it is. What programs other than the printers use the spooler system?
    > alw
    >

    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> This should be your first stop:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Wolfgang" <bigal@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> >I keep getting a message "Spooler Subsystem App has encountered a
    >> >problem
    >> >and
    >> > needs to close." No error code is provided. I have Done a virus scan
    >> > (PC-cillin) with no problems identified. I have done a restore back
    >> > prior
    >> > problem and I have done a Windows XP Home Sp2 reinstall. I still have
    >> > the
    >> > problem. Both attached printers are HPs (Laser 1012 & Deskjet 820cse)
    >> > via
    >> > USB -- both are recognized by the system but can't print because the
    >> > Spooler
    >> > is not operating.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions on where I go from here?
    >> > --
    >> > alw

    Sorry if i'm intruding but I have been following all threads in this and
    related discussions as I still have the same problem. Blitzed the spooler.
    Removed Adobe Acrobat. Followed all instructions on Microsoft database. I
    still cannot install hp laserjet 1300 printer with current drivers. The XP
    version I originally installed was the Upgrade to Xp... then I installed
    SP2. The printer was installed and functioned on Windows 98 before the
    upgrade... since the upgrade it doesn't work. The blitz spooler page states
    the failure to uninstall before upgrading is an obvious mistake... but
    doesn't the blitz correct that? The odd thing is that I also have an hp 7350
    that will install with no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Nothing... unless you have Adobe Acrobat (full version) installed or
    > (perhaps, not sure... Hal will help me on this one...) Microsoft Fax.
    >
    > Try a complete blitz on the printer drivers...
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >
    > Ensure after rebooting, that you have the very latest drivers for your
    > printers from the manufacturers' websites.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Wolfgang" <bigal@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Cari, but after I returned to normal operations i got the same
    > > message. Some where I've got a program conflict and I can't seem to
    > > identify
    > > what it is. What programs other than the printers use the spooler system?
    > > alw
    > >

    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> This should be your first stop:
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "Wolfgang" <bigal@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    geofri I am experiencing the exact same behavior having just done a
    windows xp pro upgrade from 98 and using the hp laserjet 1012. I've
    also manually removed files and regkeys associated with the printer...
    it seems the printer driver itself is what is breaking the spooler
    service. let me know if you figure out a solution mtr26@cs.byu.edu -
    Thanks

    --
    MrScheme
  6. this is an old thread, but the problem continues. I found a fix that is simple and makes sense without all the MS steps. The MS steps made no sense to me because I only have a single printer installed (HP2600) in my XP Pro environment. This is a fairly new machine only about 6 months and i use it for video editing - and i have worked very hard to keep it very lean with very few drivers. I do not have Acrobat installed or any other printers. I always refer to TomsHardware and I always trust the info i get here, so this is the one place I am sharing this fix.

    My HP2600 printer is installed as a network printer and i directly print to its IP address created as a Standard TCP/IP Port.

    Steps:
    Click <START>
    Click "Printers and Faxes" (if not on start menu, open ControlPanel first)
    RightClick on your default printer and select "Properties"
    Go to the "Ports" tab
    Click on the <Configure Port> button
    Turn OFF SNMP Status Enabled
    Click OK
    Click Close

    You may need to manually start your PrintServer service or simple reboot your computer to get it running again.

    Good Luck - I hope this helps someone!
    -mc- ohgawd-a.t-mindless.com

Windows XP