Wireless printing from laptop.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

My present laptop(Toshiba) connects to my home network through a wireless
Siemens card to the Siemens speedstream router.The router has a print server.
I have a Canon BJC-85 hooked to the router via a parallel cable.

When I purchased the first Toshiba laptop I could not for the life of me
manage to install the printer as a network printer...so I just installed it
as a local printer by plugging the cable into the LPT1 port and later changed
the port to SCC702_P1 Shared port and everthing worked fine.I can print from
another room.

I bought a new Toshiba laptop(802.11 wireless) for my wife and have the same
issues again.I can't install as a network printer but the new computer has no
LPT1 port on it so I can't do as I did with the first one.

The printer is a BJC-80. If anyone can offer any help or suggestions as to
how I can install it as a network printer on the new computer it would be
much appreciated.

How would I find the printer address/URL?

Thanks....Jack

"Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My present laptop(Toshiba) connects to my home network through a wireless
> Siemens card to the Siemens speedstream router.The router has a print
> server.
> I have a Canon BJC-85 hooked to the router via a parallel cable.
>
> When I purchased the first Toshiba laptop I could not for the life of me
> manage to install the printer as a network printer...so I just installed
> it
> as a local printer by plugging the cable into the LPT1 port and later
> changed
> the port to SCC702_P1 Shared port and everthing worked fine.I can print
> from
> another room.
>
> I bought a new Toshiba laptop(802.11 wireless) for my wife and have the
> same
> issues again.I can't install as a network printer but the new computer has
> no
> LPT1 port on it so I can't do as I did with the first one.
>
> The printer is a BJC-80. If anyone can offer any help or suggestions as to
> how I can install it as a network printer on the new computer it would be
> much appreciated.
>
> How would I find the printer address/URL?
>
> Thanks....Jack

Have you tried talking to the Siemens support group about this problem? It
may be simply a fault with the device.As far as I know the 'print server'
function is cmpletely separate from he 'router' and may have a discrete
fault.

Have a read through Bruce Sanderson's article at:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging