EQ1 Mage pet focus problem

I'm having problems getting my pet to change targets. I tried the /pet focus
with no luck, is this a valid command? Is there another tactic to get a mob
or mobs off me?

Any help is appreciated

"Wnone" <ask@new.net> wrote in message
> I'm having problems getting my pet to change targets. I tried the /pet
> focus
> with no luck, is this a valid command? Is there another tactic to get a
> mob
> or mobs off me?
>
> Any help is appreciated

If you have done minimal damage to the mob, you can run across your pet and
the mob will join the other mob in attacking your pet. Then use /assist
petname to cast on the same mob that the pet is working on.

I use this tactic when farming HGs. Cast Scars or another low agro spell to
get the mobs attention and then run back to the other side of my pet. The
mob stops at the pet. and then I go get another mob.

Just don't try it with more than four mobs on the pet at one time. The fifth
will chase you.

It works with necro pets, too.

If all else fails, hike up your skirt and run for the border! SoW is your
friend ;)

Mike W.

Wnone wrote:
> I'm having problems getting my pet to change targets. I tried the /pet focus
> with no luck, is this a valid command? Is there another tactic to get a mob
> or mobs off me?
>
> Any help is appreciated

The command "/pet back off" empties the pet's hate list so it will stop
attacking a mob and either move back to its guard point, back to its
master, or stop in place (a tactic using /pet sit). This command does
not affect the mob it was attacking so you may have to spam the command
otherwise the pet will go back to attacking the mob.

The tactic to get the mob off you is to have a hotkey with "/pet back
off" (maybe on several lines) and a hotkey "/pet kill".

With the pet already engaged, turn and target the ADD (I have F8 tied
to 'target nearest npc' which usually works but not always), spam your
'pet back off' hotkey a few times and then hit your 'pet kill' hotkey.
If you haven't done something like overnuked (over aggroed) the ADD,
the pet's attack should yank the ADD off you and onto it. Step away
from the fight and you should be in the clear.

That is the basic tactic. YMMV

In alt.games.everquest, "Wnone" <ask@new.net> wrote:

>I'm having problems getting my pet to change targets. I tried the /pet focus
>with no luck, is this a valid command? Is there another tactic to get a mob
>or mobs off me?

/pet focus is only obtained through AA.

Without any AA, your only hope is to tell the pet to back off, and then
tell it to attack the new target, and hope nothing else hits it in between
those two commands.

Even then, pets will switch targets based on various rules and reasons.

/pet focus forces the pet to stay on one target, but as I said, it's
obtained via AA.

--
Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
Recommended Author : Guy Gavriel Kay

"Wnone" <ask@new.net> wrote in

> I'm having problems getting my pet to change targets. I tried the /pet
> focus with no luck, is this a valid command? Is there another tactic
> to get a mob or mobs off me?
>
> Any help is appreciated

It depends. The /pet focus command only works if you have the AA
ability. Barring that, try making up a hotkey:

/pet backoff
/pet attack %T

This hotkey will tell your pet to back off the current mob, and attack
the mob you are targetting.

Mind you, prior to getting /pet focus, your pet will make decisions as to
which mob to attack based on things I am not quite certain of.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

Thank you for all the relies.

When I wrote this my mage was level 16 so no /pet focus for along time. I
did try the run back to the pet and most of the time the pet would grab agro
=).