Phone suggestions?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 11, 2005 2:37:20 PM

Well, it's time for "new every two" again.

I've been looking at Verizon's choices and, frankly, I'm not overwhelmed.

I have no interest in video, games, still imaging or other kiddie toys.

I do want a speaker phone, and it would be nice if the phone had a calendar
that I could access with my computer (I'm fine using bitpim or something --
I know Verizon doesn't support it). Bluetooth (for a headset -- syncing not
necessary if I can do it with a cable) would be nice.

It seems, my only choices are Motorola -- either the 710, which I understand
to be VERY buggy, or the non-Bluetooth v65p.

Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I'm seriously thinking of
switching o Cingular, because I really don't like Verizon's phones (unless
there's something good on the Verizon horizon).

Thanks.

More about : phone suggestions

April 12, 2005 5:22:22 PM

"PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
> Well, it's time for "new every two" again.
>
> I've been looking at Verizon's choices and, frankly, I'm not overwhelmed.
>
> I have no interest in video, games, still imaging or other kiddie toys.
>
> I do want a speaker phone, and it would be nice if the phone had a
> calendar
> that I could access with my computer (I'm fine using bitpim or
> something --
> I know Verizon doesn't support it). Bluetooth (for a headset -- syncing
> not
> necessary if I can do it with a cable) would be nice.
>
> It seems, my only choices are Motorola -- either the 710, which I
> understand
> to be VERY buggy, or the non-Bluetooth v65p.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I'm seriously thinking of
> switching o Cingular, because I really don't like Verizon's phones (unless
> there's something good on the Verizon horizon).
>
> Thanks.

If you want a BT phone, the LG 8100 will be out soon. If you decide on the
710, may want to wait a little longer, getting ready to have a big price
drop.

KC

--
Need Verizon/Alltel/Nextel accessories but hate paying retail? Check out my
Ebay store.

> "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
> Well, it's time for "new every two" again.
>
> I've been looking at Verizon's choices and, frankly, I'm not
> overwhelmed.
> I have no interest in video, games, still imaging or other kiddie
> toys.
> I do want a speaker phone, and it would be nice if the phone had a
> calendar
> that I could access with my computer (I'm fine using bitpim or
> something --
> I know Verizon doesn't support it). Bluetooth (for a headset --
> syncing not
> necessary if I can do it with a cable) would be nice.
>
> It seems, my only choices are Motorola -- either the 710, which I
> understand
> to be VERY buggy, or the non-Bluetooth v65p.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I'm seriously
> thinking of switching o Cingular, because I really don't like
> Verizon's phones (unless there's something good on the Verizon
> horizon).
> Thanks.

I have to wonder why you are even thinking the way you are, unless your
thinking has been warped big time, by the gotta have it bluetooth liars and
nuts in here.

I have a Jabra bt-200 (latest model is bt-250, see www.jabra.com) bluetooth
headset with the charger adapter for non blue-tooth phones ($10 more, and
there are others out there, so it's not just that one, just what I use and
have used for several years).. It is a wireless over the ear headset that
uses bluetooth, and will directly work with vehicle built in phones, and has
a little device (charger for the headset, round about 1 1/2 inches), that
has a cord/plug to plug into ANY device with a 2.5 mm jack <-- headset jack
that doesn't have it's own bluetooth. Not only works with ANY cell phone
with a headset jack, but also other devices like cordless phones, VoIP
devices, computer sound cards, PDA's etc.
Get a new phone? A new toy that supports headsets? Hey.. just plug the
adapter/charger into the new device! Who cares if it has bluetooth in the
phone or not, you don't need it! Seems if you buy a specific phone, you are
VERY VERY limited on what you can do. Why think bluetooth only cellphones
when you can do way way more?
April 12, 2005 6:23:22 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:13:38 -0700, Peter Pan wrote:

> I have to wonder why you are even thinking the way you are, unless your
> thinking has been warped big time, by the gotta have it bluetooth liars and
> nuts in here.
>
> I have a Jabra bt-200 (latest model is bt-250, see www.jabra.com) bluetooth
> headset with the charger adapter for non blue-tooth phones ($10 more, and
> there are others out there, so it's not just that one, just what I use and
> have used for several years).. It is a wireless over the ear headset that
> uses bluetooth, and will directly work with vehicle built in phones, and has
> a little device (charger for the headset, round about 1 1/2 inches), that
> has a cord/plug to plug into ANY device with a 2.5 mm jack <-- headset jack
> that doesn't have it's own bluetooth. Not only works with ANY cell phone
> with a headset jack, but also other devices like cordless

The only thing keeping me from this approach is the battery life (usually
less than the headset) and ackward charging procedures for the phone
adapter. At least a BT phone simplifies this because it uses one battery.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:23:23 PM

CellGuy wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:13:38 -0700, Peter Pan wrote:
>
>> I have to wonder why you are even thinking the way you are, unless
>> your thinking has been warped big time, by the gotta have it
>> bluetooth liars and nuts in here.
>>
>> I have a Jabra bt-200 (latest model is bt-250, see www.jabra.com)
>> bluetooth headset with the charger adapter for non blue-tooth phones
>> ($10 more, and there are others out there, so it's not just that
>> one, just what I use and have used for several years).. It is a
>> wireless over the ear headset that uses bluetooth, and will directly
>> work with vehicle built in phones, and has a little device (charger
>> for the headset, round about 1 1/2 inches), that has a cord/plug to
>> plug into ANY device with a 2.5 mm jack <-- headset jack that
>> doesn't have it's own bluetooth. Not only works with ANY cell phone
>> with a headset jack, but also other devices like cordless
>
> The only thing keeping me from this approach is the battery life
> (usually less than the headset) and ackward charging procedures for
> the phone adapter. At least a BT phone simplifies this because it
> uses one battery.

Not sure what you mean. I have those little self-stick velcro things
(squares about 1"x1") all over -- on phone cases/computers/by the walls(and
AC plugs)/lamps/dash in car/on cig lighter inverters/etc. Lets me leave the
earpiece in, but stick the phone to whatever is nearby, and same for the
headset charger/adapter (and stick it to the top/back of the cellphone case
when on my belt etc). I'd stick it to the bottom of the cellphone case, but
I also use it tethered to my laptop for data, and use the data cable charger
connection. When in the other car (GMC Jimmy, non bluetooth), I just stick
the phone to the dash (earpiece works the same as if I was in the other car
with bluetooth), gives me handsfree no matter what vehicle I am in (my state
requires handsfree in vehicles when driving), handy in the boat and RV too.

The wireless rechargable bluetooth earpiece only lasts for about 2 hours of
talk time (much less than the phone) so it's handy to have it somewhere near
a charger.

Can't say it's right for everyone, just thought I'd mention it to rebut all
the people that claim you have to have a BT phone, and/or change providers,
to use it in various situations.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:57:44 AM

_KC_ wrote:

> If you want a BT phone, the LG 8100 will be out soon. If you decide
> on the 710, may want to wait a little longer, getting ready to have a
> big price drop.

The 710 has been free or $50 (after rebate) from amazon.com for a while
now with a 1-year contract.

--
David G.
Anonymous

"Peter Pan" <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
>> Well, it's time for "new every two" again.
>>
>> I've been looking at Verizon's choices and, frankly, I'm not
>> overwhelmed.
>> I have no interest in video, games, still imaging or other kiddie
>> toys.
>> I do want a speaker phone, and it would be nice if the phone had a
>> calendar
>> that I could access with my computer (I'm fine using bitpim or
>> something --
>> I know Verizon doesn't support it). Bluetooth (for a headset --
>> syncing not
>> necessary if I can do it with a cable) would be nice.
>>
>> It seems, my only choices are Motorola -- either the 710, which I
>> understand
>> to be VERY buggy, or the non-Bluetooth v65p.
>>
>> Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I'm seriously
>> thinking of switching o Cingular, because I really don't like
>> Verizon's phones (unless there's something good on the Verizon
>> horizon).
>> Thanks.
>
> I have to wonder why you are even thinking the way you are, unless your
> thinking has been warped big time, by the gotta have it bluetooth liars
> and nuts in here.
>
> I have a Jabra bt-200 (latest model is bt-250, see www.jabra.com)
> bluetooth headset with the charger adapter for non blue-tooth phones ($10
> more, and there are others out there, so it's not just that one, just what
> I use and have used for several years).. It is a wireless over the ear
> headset that uses bluetooth, and will directly work with vehicle built in
> phones, and has a little device (charger for the headset, round about 1
> 1/2 inches), that has a cord/plug to plug into ANY device with a 2.5 mm
> jack <-- headset jack that doesn't have it's own bluetooth. Not only works
> with ANY cell phone with a headset jack, but also other devices like
> cordless phones, VoIP devices, computer sound cards, PDA's etc.
> Get a new phone? A new toy that supports headsets? Hey.. just plug the
> adapter/charger into the new device! Who cares if it has bluetooth in the
> phone or not, you don't need it! Seems if you buy a specific phone, you
> are VERY VERY limited on what you can do. Why think bluetooth only
> cellphones when you can do way way more?

I'm always amused by people who think the way they do things is the only
way. The problem with a BT adapter for a non-BT phone is that it is
YOMPOJTC (yet one more piece of junk to carry). I travel a lot for
business, and already haul around more electronics than I want to deal with.
I need a wireless earpiece that is easy to carry, fits in my pocket, and
doesn't require adding to the size or weight of my phone. That takes a BT
phone. I'm not interested in doing "way more." I'm only interested in
this.

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:07:04 AM

"David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in message
> _KC_ wrote:
>>
>> If you want a BT phone, the LG 8100 will be out soon. If you decide
>> on the 710, may want to wait a little longer, getting ready to have a
>> big price drop.
>
> The 710 has been free or $50 (after rebate) from amazon.com for a while
> now with a 1-year contract.

Everything I'd read indicates that the 710 is buggy and
not-ready-for-primetime. Has that changed?

> --
> David G.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:03:41 PM

PTRAVEL wrote:
>> "David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in
>> message news:_oGdnUqzH7xLKcHfRVn-gg@comcast.com...

>>> The 710 has been free or $50 (after rebate) from amazon.com for a
>>> while now with a 1-year contract.
>>
>> Everything I'd read indicates that the 710 is buggy and
>> not-ready-for-primetime. Has that changed?

I don't agree - my v710 performs flawlessly except for the camera, but who
cares about a cell phone camera???

It's not buggy with the latest firmware update. It receives and transmits
without dropping calls in all but the remotest areas. I just drove across
country through forty states - worked fine everywhere except the midddle of
the Navajo Reservation in Arizona where coverage is spotty and it dropped
back into analog part of the time.

The BT features, i.e., wireless handsfree devices work perfectly and the
voice dialing feature alone (requires no training) makes the phone well
worth having....

I say buy it and enjoy....

PC
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:44:38 PM

_KC_ wrote:
> "David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in
message
> > _KC_ wrote:
> >>
> >> If you want a BT phone, the LG 8100 will be out soon. If you
decide
> >> on the 710, may want to wait a little longer, getting ready to
have a
> >> big price drop.
> >
> > The 710 has been free or $50 (after rebate) from amazon.com for a
while
> > now with a 1-year contract.
> >

> > --
> > David G.
>

> Yes, if its a new activation and you want to deal with the rebates
you get
> back after 6-8 months.
>

> KC
>
> --
> Need Verizon/Alltel/Nextel accessories but hate paying retail? Check
out my
> Ebay store.
> http://stores.ebay.com/totalwireless?refid=store

Hey KC, Do you have a rough idea when the price is dropping on the
V710? Is it because the E815 is coming out?
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:05:03 PM

"PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Peter Pan" <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, it's time for "new every two" again.
>>>
>>> I've been looking at Verizon's choices and, frankly, I'm not
>>> overwhelmed.
>>> I have no interest in video, games, still imaging or other kiddie
>>> toys.
>>> I do want a speaker phone, and it would be nice if the phone had a
>>> calendar
>>> that I could access with my computer (I'm fine using bitpim or
>>> something --
>>> I know Verizon doesn't support it). Bluetooth (for a headset --
>>> syncing not
>>> necessary if I can do it with a cable) would be nice.
>>>
>>> It seems, my only choices are Motorola -- either the 710, which I
>>> understand
>>> to be VERY buggy, or the non-Bluetooth v65p.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I'm seriously
>>> thinking of switching o Cingular, because I really don't like
>>> Verizon's phones (unless there's something good on the Verizon
>>> horizon).
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> I have to wonder why you are even thinking the way you are, unless your
>> thinking has been warped big time, by the gotta have it bluetooth liars
>> and nuts in here.
>>
>> I have a Jabra bt-200 (latest model is bt-250, see www.jabra.com)
>> bluetooth headset with the charger adapter for non blue-tooth phones ($10
>> more, and there are others out there, so it's not just that one, just
>> what I use and have used for several years).. It is a wireless over the
>> ear headset that uses bluetooth, and will directly work with vehicle
>> built in phones, and has a little device (charger for the headset, round
>> about 1 1/2 inches), that has a cord/plug to plug into ANY device with a
>> 2.5 mm jack <-- headset jack that doesn't have it's own bluetooth. Not
>> only works with ANY cell phone with a headset jack, but also other
>> devices like cordless phones, VoIP devices, computer sound cards, PDA's
>> etc.
>> Get a new phone? A new toy that supports headsets? Hey.. just plug the
>> adapter/charger into the new device! Who cares if it has bluetooth in the
>> phone or not, you don't need it! Seems if you buy a specific phone, you
>> are VERY VERY limited on what you can do. Why think bluetooth only
>> cellphones when you can do way way more?
>
> I'm always amused by people who think the way they do things is the only
> way. The problem with a BT adapter for a non-BT phone is that it is
> YOMPOJTC (yet one more piece of junk to carry). I travel a lot for
> business, and already haul around more electronics than I want to deal
> with. I need a wireless earpiece that is easy to carry, fits in my pocket,
> and doesn't require adding to the size or weight of my phone. That takes
> a BT phone. I'm not interested in doing "way more." I'm only interested
> in this.

I don't think P. Pan said anything about his way being the "only way". He
just offered a viable alternative to people who want wireless headsets to
work with a non-bluetooth phone. If you don't like the "alternative", no
big deal... buy a blue tooth phone from whatever service you deem superior,
considering the phone selection.

I know that people who need to use pocket PC's face similar types of
decisions. Do you buy a cell phone (ie. Treo, Samsung SPH-700, etc...) that
has the pocket PC capabilities or do you keep a separate, arguably better
quality phone, and purchase a separate Ipaq, Palm, etc... Currently, many
people buy a cell phone and a separate Ipaq/Palm, or whatever, in order to
get the best overall quality. It seems currently, bluetooth may be in a
similar situation. There appear to be lots of blue tooth phones , ie,
Motorola, 710 with bugs.

I'm currently using the LG 6100 which is great for my needs. The
speakerphone, menus, calendars, and work well. I just picked up the
adapter that P. Pan discussed. FYI, it's only about the size of a matchbook
and probably weighs as much. So, it's not like you're lugging around some
heavy, bulky box. The new Jabra headset (BT 250) along with the adapter
allows for 8 hours of talking time and, I believe, 240 hours of standby
time.

I'm still in the testing stage however with the headset. I've gone though
several "wired" headsets that I returned because the caller had trouble
hearing me. I've tried the Plantronics MX-150, a Jabra Ear Boom, and a
couple other models as well. It seems hard to find one that allows the
caller to hear me clearly. Hopefully this newer combination will work
satisfactorily.

Whatever you decide upon, good luck!
April 14, 2005 1:21:11 AM

"David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in message
> _KC_ wrote:
>>
>> If you want a BT phone, the LG 8100 will be out soon. If you decide
>> on the 710, may want to wait a little longer, getting ready to have a
>> big price drop.
>
> The 710 has been free or $50 (after rebate) from amazon.com for a while
> now with a 1-year contract.
>

> --
> David G.

Yes, if its a new activation and you want to deal with the rebates you get
back after 6-8 months.

KC

--
Need Verizon/Alltel/Nextel accessories but hate paying retail? Check out my
Ebay store.
http://stores.ebay.com/totalwireless?refid=store
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:05:49 AM

Proconsul wrote:
> PTRAVEL wrote:
> >> "David G." <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in
> >> message news:_oGdnUqzH7xLKcHfRVn-gg@comcast.com...

> >> Everything I'd read indicates that the 710 is buggy and
> >> not-ready-for-primetime. Has that changed?
>
> I don't agree - my v710 performs flawlessly except for the camera,
but who
> cares about a cell phone camera???
>
> It's not buggy with the latest firmware update. It receives and
transmits
> without dropping calls in all but the remotest areas. I just drove
across
> country through forty states - worked fine everywhere except the
midddle of
> the Navajo Reservation in Arizona where coverage is spotty and it
dropped
> back into analog part of the time.
>
> The BT features, i.e., wireless handsfree devices work perfectly and
the
> voice dialing feature alone (requires no training) makes the phone
well
> worth having....
>
> I say buy it and enjoy....

That's good to know, thanks. How is the volume (I need a loud phone,
both speaker and ring)?

> PC
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:39:42 PM

_KC_ wrote:
> Yes, if its a new activation and you want to deal with the rebates
> you get back after 6-8 months.
>

> KC

A rebate is a rebate. By definition there is a wait until you get the
money back. However, it's not as bad as many other Verizon rebates from
3rd parties that require you not send in the rebate for 180 days and
give you a small window at that time.

Yes it's a new activation, but perfectly fine for existing customers.
Once you get the new phone, just call Verizon and have your number moved
over and cancel your previous contract.

I suppose the alternative is you spend close to $300 for the phone at a
Verizon store with a 2-year contract. I'm guessing from your comments,
you'd rather do that.

--
David G.
Anonymous

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:13:38 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>> "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
>> Well, it's time for "new every two" again.
>>
>> I've been looking at Verizon's choices and, frankly, I'm not
>> overwhelmed.
>> I have no interest in video, games, still imaging or other kiddie
>> toys.
>> I do want a speaker phone, and it would be nice if the phone had a
>> calendar
>> that I could access with my computer (I'm fine using bitpim or
>> something --
>> I know Verizon doesn't support it). Bluetooth (for a headset --
>> syncing not
>> necessary if I can do it with a cable) would be nice.
>>
>> It seems, my only choices are Motorola -- either the 710, which I
>> understand
>> to be VERY buggy, or the non-Bluetooth v65p.
>>
>> Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I'm seriously
>> thinking of switching o Cingular, because I really don't like
>> Verizon's phones (unless there's something good on the Verizon
>> horizon).
>> Thanks.
>
>I have to wonder why you are even thinking the way you are, unless your
>thinking has been warped big time, by the gotta have it bluetooth liars and
>nuts in here.
>
>I have a Jabra bt-200 (latest model is bt-250, see www.jabra.com) bluetooth
>headset with the charger adapter for non blue-tooth phones ($10 more, and
>there are others out there, so it's not just that one, just what I use and
>have used for several years).. It is a wireless over the ear headset that
>uses bluetooth, and will directly work with vehicle built in phones, and has
>a little device (charger for the headset, round about 1 1/2 inches), that
>has a cord/plug to plug into ANY device with a 2.5 mm jack <-- headset jack
>that doesn't have it's own bluetooth. Not only works with ANY cell phone
>with a headset jack, but also other devices like cordless phones, VoIP
>devices, computer sound cards, PDA's etc.
>Get a new phone? A new toy that supports headsets? Hey.. just plug the
>adapter/charger into the new device! Who cares if it has bluetooth in the
>phone or not, you don't need it! Seems if you buy a specific phone, you are
>VERY VERY limited on what you can do. Why think bluetooth only cellphones
>when you can do way way more?

I bought the jabra adapter for non bluetooth phones to try and pair my
LG6000 to my handsfree link bluetooth of my acura tl.It does not pair.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:08:27 AM

lliguy@optonline.net wrote:

> I bought the jabra adapter for non bluetooth phones to try and pair my
> LG6000 to my handsfree link bluetooth of my acura tl.It does not pair.

The adapter doesn't pair. The headset itself is bluetooth and pairs. The
adapter is only for use with non bluetooth devices.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:46:38 AM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:37:16 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>lliguy@optonline.net wrote:
>
>> I bought the jabra adapter for non bluetooth phones to try and pair my
>> LG6000 to my handsfree link bluetooth of my acura tl.It does not pair.
>
>The adapter doesn't pair. The headset itself is bluetooth and pairs. The
>adapter is only for use with non bluetooth devices.

ok so if i buy a bluetooth headset i can pair my lg6000 to my acura
using the adapter?
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:46:39 AM

lliguy@optonline.net wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:37:16 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> lliguy@optonline.net wrote:
>>
>>> I bought the jabra adapter for non bluetooth phones to try and pair
>>> my LG6000 to my handsfree link bluetooth of my acura tl.It does not
>>> pair.
>>
>> The adapter doesn't pair. The headset itself is bluetooth and pairs.
>> The adapter is only for use with non bluetooth devices.
>>
> ok so if i buy a bluetooth headset i can pair my lg6000 to my acura
> using the adapter?

Don't know about your specific model vehicle, but my Dad has an Acura, and I
use the jabra (bt-200) both in his car without my cellphone (puts my prime
time calls on HIS phone bill! :) , and away from his car with my cellphone
(or any other device with a 2.5 MM headset jack)
!