how to print a file created with the FILE: port ?

I printed a document using the FILE: port setting. How do I actually
print the the output file ? Is there a print manager utility in Windows
where I could load previously created output files ?

Thank you
2 answers Last reply
More about print file created file port

    Pablo De la Puente wrote:

    > I printed a document using the FILE: port setting. How do I actually
    > print the the output file ?

    open a Command Prompt and type:

    COPY filename.prn LPT1:

    (if your printer is connected to the LPT1 port).

    If it's an USB printer you'll have to share it, just like it were on a
    network (say MYPRN), then

    NET USE LPT1: \\My_Pc_Name\MYPRN
    (connects LPT1 to the Shared printer)
    COPY filename.prn LPT1:
    (sends the file to the printer)
    NET USE LPT1: /D
    (disable the redirection)

    The filename.prn you created contains all the control codes needed to manage
    that kind of printer, so it cannot be sent to a different printer type.

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    Hello Davide,

    I think there is a program called Windows Print Manager but I don't know if
    that's part of Windows or a 3rd party product. Meanwhile, the commands that
    you gave me will do the trick.

    Thanks for your explanations.
    Pablo

    "Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message
    > Pablo De la Puente wrote:
    >
    > > I printed a document using the FILE: port setting. How do I actually
    > > print the the output file ?
    >
    > open a Command Prompt and type:
    >
    > COPY filename.prn LPT1:
    >
    > (if your printer is connected to the LPT1 port).
    >
    > If it's an USB printer you'll have to share it, just like it were on a
    > network (say MYPRN), then
    >
    > NET USE LPT1: \\My_Pc_Name\MYPRN
    > (connects LPT1 to the Shared printer)
    > COPY filename.prn LPT1:
    > (sends the file to the printer)
    > NET USE LPT1: /D
    > (disable the redirection)
    >
    > The filename.prn you created contains all the control codes needed to
    manage
    > that kind of printer, so it cannot be sent to a different printer type.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Davide Guolo
    > Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    > http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    > Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    > http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

Microsoft Windows XP