Laptop presario/Strange Request!

Hi everyone,
This might sound like a strange request, but I am looking for a couple of
keyboard keys for a compaq laptop.
The usual, I rang Compaq spare parts and was informed that I needed to get
the whole keyboard ( $50.00) I was told also I would have to get someone to
put it in.. I guess it is one off those items that you are not supposed to
fix yourself. (Very LOL)
What I have is a Presario 2100 laptop, I have damaged two keys and they are;
a control key(ctrl) and the other a fn key (in blue) on the left hand side.
Anyway I suppose this is a longshot (and the strange request) but maybe
someone has changed their keyboard and miraculously kept the old one?
felicityzz

barbibiz wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> This might sound like a strange request, but I am looking for a couple of
> keyboard keys for a compaq laptop.
> The usual, I rang Compaq spare parts and was informed that I needed to get
> the whole keyboard ( $50.00) I was told also I would have to get someone to
> put it in.. I guess it is one off those items that you are not supposed to
> fix yourself. (Very LOL)
> What I have is a Presario 2100 laptop, I have damaged two keys and they are;
> a control key(ctrl) and the other a fn key (in blue) on the left hand side.
> Anyway I suppose this is a longshot (and the strange request) but maybe
> someone has changed their keyboard and miraculously kept the old one?
> felicityzz

Hello

If you have no luck picking up the keys, I can provide you with a PDF
file containing the technical manual for the Presario 2100. I have just
looked at it and changing the whole keyboard is very simple going by the
manual. It calls keyboard removal and replacement "User
replaceable":You only need a phillips head screwdriver - and some patience.
--
Regards
Echy

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

Mine is sitting at $10.50 right now. Go check it out.

Item #6753224995

bill@c-techonline.com wrote:
> Try searching ebay for presario 2700 keyboard, there is one for $11.95
> buy it now.
>
> Good luck!

> Echywrote:
Hello

> If you have no luck picking up the keys, I can provide you with a
PDF
> file containing the technical manual for the Presario 2100. I have
just
> looked at it and changing the whole keyboard is very simple going by
the
> manual. It calls keyboard removal and replacement "User
> replaceable":You only need a phillips head screwdriver - and some
patience.
> --
> Regards
> Echy
>
> Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
> www.thatsmelbourne.com.au
Hi,

I'm having a hell of a time finding 1 or 2 screws to take my presario
2100 appart. I'd appreciate it if you could sent the .pdf manual to
chad82gt@hotmail.com.

Thanks!
Chad

If you are trying to get the keyboard off its simple.. Take the two
hinge cover screws out of the rear (port side) Then you can pull the
power button panel off. Rest is self explainatory....

I was actually trying to get to the motherboard to repair the power
recepticle. Found the manual online
HERE and
was able to drop a dab of solder on the loose connection. *Whew*
saved the several hundred bux they wanted for a new Mobo. :D

This manual is good for the following PCs:
HP Pavilion ze5200 Notebook PC
HP Pavilion ze4200 Notebook PC
HP Pavilion ze4100 Notebook PC
Compaq Evo Notebook N1050v Series
Compaq Evo Notebook N1010v Series
Compaq Presario 2500 Series Mobile PC
Compaq Presario 2100 Series Mobile PC
Compaq Presario 1100 Series Mobile PC

I also saved the .pdf to my own website, in case it ever disappears
from HP's site.
See
Here

I hear this is a common issue with these laptops. The fix is quite
easy if you take your time, keep track of the 3-dozen or so screws
and know how to solder tiny little things.