Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2400 Questions

ZondaC12

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2002
First, here's my system setup:

Case: Just 4 pc ATX beige case (B452-1018)on tiger direct.com (if you want to see what the inside looks like)
Mobo: Soyo Dragon SY KT400 Ultra (platinum edition)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
CPU Fan: Speeze Socket A/370 fan (go here: http://www.speeze.com/products/fcc.asp?ProdID=81 to see specs and stuff about it)
RAM: Corsair Value Select 512mb PC2700 DDR
HDD: WD 20 GBytes
GF2 MX400
Creative SB 16 PCI

yeah i'd like to overclock it, but im really not sure about what i have to do--i checked the CPU guide on this site and it says the 2400 was good for overclocking. do i have to do that thing with the tape to connect the L1 and L2 things? and is my CPU fan adequate to overclock say 200-300mhz or so? please got to the tigerdirect page and look at the case--i might get this watercooling thing (just for the CPU) its called TherMagic and it's a watercooling system with all the stuff built in to this small black box and the thing that attaches to the CPU--has anyone heard of it and if so is there a spot in my case i can put it in? (i got a cd drive in the top drive bay, maybe in the ones under it? thanks!

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
To get that small of an OC, you probably will only have to increase the fsb. You'll want to do that anyway to get the most out of your "Value select" (oxymoron) RAM. If you only do this, you won't have to short any of the connections on your CPU.

AMD YOU ARE EVIL!!! GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!!! A STOCK UNLOCKED CPU!!!

Is there a synonym for thesaurus?

ZondaC12

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2002
crap i guess i underexaggerated (is that a real word?) anyway, i guess i meant i want to do with it what THG did--crank it up to like 2400 mhz. but i noticed that on the XP 2400, the L1 things, none of them really, i think, are connected, BUT, between the L1 pairs of contacts, there are NONE of the small black gaps like in the Palomino ones. I think the XP 2400, XP 2600, etc... are based on the Barton core. completely different i guess. i want to know if with this one i need to short the contacts or whatever to "unlock" it and is my cooling fan enough and if not is that TherMagic CSS water cooler enough?

ZondaC12

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2002
oh and also. what about the voltage? my mobo has all that stuff on default right now, but it's running at about 1.64 volts (vcore) and i calculated it and it seems like to multiplier is about 15x. (15 X 133=1995)--about 2 ghz like its rated at. let's say i want to increase JUST bus to 166, that will be about 2490 mhz, what do i need to change voltage to? or should i not run the bus up that high but change the multiplier to get around 2400 mhz like THG? THEN what voltage do i need? [SIDE NOTE: i found something on mosterhardware.com that said that these Bartons come with multipliers UNLOCKED, just the lower ones (12.5x-6x) must be unlocked by some other method.]

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
New and improved clickable version of the <A HREF="http://www.monkeyreview.com/reviews/index.php?action=fullreview&id=181" target="_new">Thermagic CCS</A> review. Sounds like an interesting piece of hardware, looks expensive so i'll stick to my all cooper HSF...

Fok Speling Misstake

HoTShoT

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
I´m planning to get a 2400+ too. Suggest you check this:
<A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/amd/unlocktbred/unlocktbredp1.htm" target="_new">How to unlock AMD Tbred 2400+</A>.