overclocking

dbloec

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
I have an AMD k2 processor in a ASUS PSS-VM motherboard. There are jumpers for CPU external (BUS) frequency jumper settings and CPU to BUS frequency ratio jumper settings. Right now the CPU external (BUS) frequency jumper setting is set to 100 mhz. If I set it to 133 will my computer be faster or will it get damaged?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It might work. It probably won't. You will most likely have to drop the bus multiplier for the CPU in order to get it to boot.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
K6-2 overclocks fine if you're using a slower processor. It's not too hard to get 400MHz out of a 333, for example. But he's not necessarily talking about overclocking, but raising the bus speed. Do the math, 400MHz can be had at 6x66.6, 4x100, or 3.5x133.3 on his board (since he says it supports 133MHz bus). But I don't recall any boards that would run STABLE at that higher bus frequency. Board problem, not CPU.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>