USB Printers Won't Install

Replaced a parallel printer with a Lexmark USB. Using the install CD, plugged
in the USB at the proper point, got "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)".
Took back the Lexmark, got an HP PS7450. Using the CD, plugged in the USB at
the proper point, got the found new hardware wizard. If I cancel, it will
eventually time out with no communication. If I follow the wizard, I get the
same CRC error. The only other USB device was a cable modem, but I moved it
to ethernet and uninstalled the s/w. I've tried multiple USB ports. Am
running a Dell Dimension 4550 with XP-SP2. I've disable the serial and
parallel ports in CMOS, uninstalled everything printer related, deleted the
HP folders, tried different cables, and also borrowed a Dell 720 printer. Any
ideas short of reloading XP? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about printers install

    Try with a diferent CD and/or a different optical drive.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "DavidMc" <DavidMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Replaced a parallel printer with a Lexmark USB. Using the install CD,
    > plugged
    > in the USB at the proper point, got "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy
    > Check)".
    > Took back the Lexmark, got an HP PS7450. Using the CD, plugged in the USB
    > at
    > the proper point, got the found new hardware wizard. If I cancel, it will
    > eventually time out with no communication. If I follow the wizard, I get
    > the
    > same CRC error. The only other USB device was a cable modem, but I moved
    > it
    > to ethernet and uninstalled the s/w. I've tried multiple USB ports. Am
    > running a Dell Dimension 4550 with XP-SP2. I've disable the serial and
    > parallel ports in CMOS, uninstalled everything printer related, deleted
    > the
    > HP folders, tried different cables, and also borrowed a Dell 720 printer.
    > Any
    > ideas short of reloading XP? Thanks.

    Cari,

    Thanks for the reply. I'll try downloading the same driver from HP tomorrow.
    But, does it make sense that I'm seeing the exact same error from HP,
    Lexmark, and Dell printers?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Try with a diferent CD and/or a different optical drive.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "DavidMc" <DavidMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Replaced a parallel printer with a Lexmark USB. Using the install CD,
    > > plugged
    > > in the USB at the proper point, got "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy
    > > Check)".
    > > Took back the Lexmark, got an HP PS7450. Using the CD, plugged in the USB
    > > at
    > > the proper point, got the found new hardware wizard. If I cancel, it will
    > > eventually time out with no communication. If I follow the wizard, I get
    > > the
    > > same CRC error. The only other USB device was a cable modem, but I moved
    > > it
    > > to ethernet and uninstalled the s/w. I've tried multiple USB ports. Am
    > > running a Dell Dimension 4550 with XP-SP2. I've disable the serial and
    > > parallel ports in CMOS, uninstalled everything printer related, deleted
    > > the
    > > HP folders, tried different cables, and also borrowed a Dell 720 printer.
    > > Any
    > > ideas short of reloading XP? Thanks.

    Cari,

    I downloaded the same version from HP and it failed with the same error. If
    I don't get any great ideas within a few days, I'm going to reload XP. Thanks
    for your suggesting.

    David

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Try with a diferent CD and/or a different optical drive.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "DavidMc" <DavidMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Replaced a parallel printer with a Lexmark USB. Using the install CD,
    > > plugged
    > > in the USB at the proper point, got "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy
    > > Check)".
    > > Took back the Lexmark, got an HP PS7450. Using the CD, plugged in the USB
    > > at
    > > the proper point, got the found new hardware wizard. If I cancel, it will
    > > eventually time out with no communication. If I follow the wizard, I get
    > > the
    > > same CRC error. The only other USB device was a cable modem, but I moved
    > > it
    > > to ethernet and uninstalled the s/w. I've tried multiple USB ports. Am
    > > running a Dell Dimension 4550 with XP-SP2. I've disable the serial and
    > > parallel ports in CMOS, uninstalled everything printer related, deleted
    > > the
    > > HP folders, tried different cables, and also borrowed a Dell 720 printer.
    > > Any
    > > ideas short of reloading XP? Thanks.

    Check for Spyware, Malware, Virus before trying again and clean things up if
    necessary. I've recently been amazed at how many problems have been caused
    by these. Jim Eshelman's web site is a good place to start:

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    You might also try running the Msconfig utility and deselecting Startup
    items. Restart when prompted and try your installation again. Don't forget
    to enable the Startup items when your driver is installed. For more
    information on using the Msconfig tool, see this article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    PattyL

    > Cari,
    >
    > I downloaded the same version from HP and it failed with the same error.
    > If
    > I don't get any great ideas within a few days, I'm going to reload XP.
    > Thanks
    > for your suggesting.
    >
    > David
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Try with a diferent CD and/or a different optical drive.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "DavidMc" <DavidMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Replaced a parallel printer with a Lexmark USB. Using the install CD,
    >> > plugged
    >> > in the USB at the proper point, got "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy
    >> > Check)".
    >> > Took back the Lexmark, got an HP PS7450. Using the CD, plugged in the
    >> > USB
    >> > at
    >> > the proper point, got the found new hardware wizard. If I cancel, it
    >> > will
    >> > eventually time out with no communication. If I follow the wizard, I
    >> > get
    >> > the
    >> > same CRC error. The only other USB device was a cable modem, but I
    >> > moved
    >> > it
    >> > to ethernet and uninstalled the s/w. I've tried multiple USB ports. Am
    >> > running a Dell Dimension 4550 with XP-SP2. I've disable the serial and
    >> > parallel ports in CMOS, uninstalled everything printer related, deleted
    >> > the
    >> > HP folders, tried different cables, and also borrowed a Dell 720
    >> > printer.
    >> > Any
    >> > ideas short of reloading XP? Thanks.

USB Printers Windows XP