motherboard or CPU problem?

Kalvin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I just upgrade my PC to AMD 2000+ Xp, with motherboard MSI KT4 Ultra(MS6590), Kingston DDR333 256MB. I still use back my old Asus TNT2 video card.
My 1st boot up was successful, the PC shown the speed as 1.25GHz, so I reboot to adjust the bios's FSB to 115MHz (from 100MHz)and CPU multiplier from 12.5 to 14. After reboot again, the monitor went blank. I 'd reset a few times but the screen stay blank, I 'd check all the cable. I don't know what/how to proceed now, pls. help.
best regards
Kalvin

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Sometimes CMOS reset can take awhile to discharge. Not sure but leave battery out and jumpered (if applicable) for awhile. Certain boards take a very long time. Should say in your mobo manual.

:eek: <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek:

Kalvin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Thanks for your reply, but I 'd waited for > 10 minutes, still nothing happen. Who can help me?
best regards

Kalvin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
no error beep. just a blank screen. I refer back to the manual, it mentioned the waiting time < 2 minutes. I still remember I try to change the frequency with my old Asus motherboard, it take < 1 minute, but anyway, tonight, I will try to on it for a longer time.
Thank you.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
unplugging the comp from the wall and pushing the power button discharges some left over energy, maybe that will speed things up when waiting for cmos to clear?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
remove the battery and short the leads (press the pin that holds the battery on the lower metal surface) or insert the battery reversed for a while so that the capacitor that powers the CMOS RAM is discharged.

Make sure the jumpers on the board are set right and try again. And make sure the speaker is good, it does give you valuable dignostic messages.

Every point I make has 'n' perspectives!
Boy do I need a <i>disclaimer</i> for my every word?