DigiDoc5- Needs 3 pin fans..I got 4 pin!! HELP!

Fladryn

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
I got a digidoc and a case which i JUST ordered and could have had a baybus but bought a digi instead. The fans are 4 pin molex ones and digi HAS to have 3. All adapters are 3 to 4 pin..but wheres a 4 to 3 pin? please help.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Dude, the yellow wire on 3 pin fans is for speed sensing. Black and red for power. If your fans dont have that yellow wire then get some new 3 pin fans.
I only use 4 pin fans if i dont have any spare 3 pin headers, or if i want to run the fans directly from my PSU for a reason, as opposed to through the motherboard.

You can get 3 pin fans and convert them to run off a molex 4 pin connector, while leaving the yellow wire on the 3 pin connector. This means you can run the fans straight off the PSU while being able to monitor the speed.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Your fans are probably too powerful to run from 3 pin headers, and thus usually lack the third wire for speed sensing (the yellow one).

So things you can do:
A. buy fans with 3 pin connectors
B. buy fans with 4 pin connectors and an extra sensing 3 pin connector (rare)

<b>All CDs will be protected and you are a filthy pirate! - <i>Bertelsmann Music Group (BMG)</i>
Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>