Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Missing spoolsv.exe file

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:07:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I'm running Windows XP with SP2.

When I try to print I get the following message "Operation could not be
completed. The print spooler service is not running". I get this message
when I try to reload the printer also.

In attempting to solve this issue (primarily by looking thru prior
discussion group postings and reviewing the advise given), I've discovered
that the following file is completely missing from my computer:
C:\winnt\system32\spoolsv.exe.

Any advise on getting a copy of this file back on my machine so that I can
print again?

Thank You.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:29:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Control panel, Administrative Tools, double-click services, scroll down to "print
spooler", right-click properties, start the service, Startup type, Automatic

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"JRMarstian" <JRMarstian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F52F4422-643D-453E-BA43-7A7B1693EEBC@microsoft.com...
> I'm running Windows XP with SP2.
>
> When I try to print I get the following message "Operation could not be
> completed. The print spooler service is not running". I get this message
> when I try to reload the printer also.
>
> In attempting to solve this issue (primarily by looking thru prior
> discussion group postings and reviewing the advise given), I've discovered
> that the following file is completely missing from my computer:
> C:\winnt\system32\spoolsv.exe.
>
> Any advise on getting a copy of this file back on my machine so that I can
> print again?
>
> Thank You.
>
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:09:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

First see:
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm

If you really have managed to accidentally delete the print spooler, then
you're in for a Repair Installation:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you get a 1068 error when you try to start the print spooler, see steps
15 - 17 at:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"JRMarstian" <JRMarstian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F52F4422-643D-453E-BA43-7A7B1693EEBC@microsoft.com...
> I'm running Windows XP with SP2.
>
> When I try to print I get the following message "Operation could not be
> completed. The print spooler service is not running". I get this message
> when I try to reload the printer also.
>
> In attempting to solve this issue (primarily by looking thru prior
> discussion group postings and reviewing the advise given), I've discovered
> that the following file is completely missing from my computer:
> C:\winnt\system32\spoolsv.exe.
>
> Any advise on getting a copy of this file back on my machine so that I can
> print again?
>
> Thank You.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:29:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:%23Kvfb4loFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Control panel, Administrative Tools, double-click services, scroll
> down to "print spooler", right-click properties, start the service,
> Startup type, Automatic
>

Wouldn't work if the executable is not where it should be.


/klaus
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:38:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

"JRMarstian" <JRMarstian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F52F4422-643D-453E-BA43-7A7B1693EEBC@microsoft.com...
> When I try to print I get the following message "Operation could not
> be
> completed. The print spooler service is not running". I get this
> message
> when I try to reload the printer also.
>
> In attempting to solve this issue (primarily by looking thru prior
> discussion group postings and reviewing the advise given), I've
> discovered
> that the following file is completely missing from my computer:
> C:\winnt\system32\spoolsv.exe.
>

Did you search all your folders?
My spoolsv.exe is 57856 bytes and dated June 11th, 2005 - has been
updated since the release of SP2.

The file is part of KB896423:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?display...
402946-1c3b-47e9-9d51-77d890df8725


/klaus
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:30:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Cari - Thank You. Just completed repair installation and I've got everything
up and running fine.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> First see:
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm
>
> If you really have managed to accidentally delete the print spooler, then
> you're in for a Repair Installation:
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> If you get a 1068 error when you try to start the print spooler, see steps
> 15 - 17 at:
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
>
>
> "JRMarstian" <JRMarstian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F52F4422-643D-453E-BA43-7A7B1693EEBC@microsoft.com...
> > I'm running Windows XP with SP2.
> >
> > When I try to print I get the following message "Operation could not be
> > completed. The print spooler service is not running". I get this message
> > when I try to reload the printer also.
> >
> > In attempting to solve this issue (primarily by looking thru prior
> > discussion group postings and reviewing the advise given), I've discovered
> > that the following file is completely missing from my computer:
> > C:\winnt\system32\spoolsv.exe.
> >
> > Any advise on getting a copy of this file back on my machine so that I can
> > print again?
> >
> > Thank You.
> >
> >
>
>
>
!