I'm running Windows XP with SP2.

When I try to print I get the following message "Operation could not be
completed. The print spooler service is not running". I get this message
when I try to reload the printer also.

In attempting to solve this issue (primarily by looking thru prior
discussion group postings and reviewing the advise given), I've discovered
that the following file is completely missing from my computer:
C:\winnt\system32\spoolsv.exe.

Any advise on getting a copy of this file back on my machine so that I can
print again?

Thank You.

Control panel, Administrative Tools, double-click services, scroll down to "print
spooler", right-click properties, start the service, Startup type, Automatic

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"JRMarstian" <JRMarstian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows XP with SP2.
>
> When I try to print I get the following message "Operation could not be
> completed. The print spooler service is not running". I get this message
> when I try to reload the printer also.
>
> In attempting to solve this issue (primarily by looking thru prior
> discussion group postings and reviewing the advise given), I've discovered
> that the following file is completely missing from my computer:
> C:\winnt\system32\spoolsv.exe.
>
> Any advise on getting a copy of this file back on my machine so that I can
> print again?
>
> Thank You.

First see:
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm

If you really have managed to accidentally delete the print spooler, then
you're in for a Repair Installation:

If you get a 1068 error when you try to start the print spooler, see steps
15 - 17 at:
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Control panel, Administrative Tools, double-click services, scroll
> down to "print spooler", right-click properties, start the service,
> Startup type, Automatic

Wouldn't work if the executable is not where it should be.

/klaus

"JRMarstian" <JRMarstian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to print I get the following message "Operation could not
> be
> completed. The print spooler service is not running". I get this
> message
> when I try to reload the printer also.
>
> In attempting to solve this issue (primarily by looking thru prior
> discussion group postings and reviewing the advise given), I've
> discovered
> that the following file is completely missing from my computer:
> C:\winnt\system32\spoolsv.exe.

Did you search all your folders?
My spoolsv.exe is 57856 bytes and dated June 11th, 2005 - has been
updated since the release of SP2.

The file is part of KB896423:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ef
402946-1c3b-47e9-9d51-77d890df8725

/klaus

Cari - Thank You. Just completed repair installation and I've got everything
up and running fine.