I need help.

I need help finding a good gaming laptop that i will use for Borderlands 2. I have 2 that may work, its just that i worry that there is something with them that may make it or break it. Please help and im only set to a $399 budget.

Here is the laptops:

The first has these specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium B960 2.2 GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333

Hard drive: 320GB

Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics

And a price of $349.99

The seconds specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium B960 2.2GHz

RAM: 6 GB DDR3

Hard drive: 320GB

Graphics card: Intel HD graphics

And at a price of 379.99
24 answers Last reply
More about help
  1. Hi :)

You are NOT going to get any even half reasonable GAMING laptop for that price, not unless you add at least another $1000....

Also INTEL HD GRAPHICS are NOT a graphics card....and the minimum requirements require a 512 mb CARD.....

So NEITHER will play it....

Your best bet is to add some more money and BUILD a gaming PC.....(lots cheaper than a gaming lappy)

All the best Brett :)
  2. Then can i at least upgrade my pc that im on right now? Here are the specs for it and how much would i need to spend to upgrade it?

AMD dual-core processor C-50 1.1GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6250

2gb ddr3 memory

how much would that cost to upgrade to the specs for borderlands 2?
  3. You might be able to build a new PC using a few parts of your existing PC for $399, but that is going to be a tough one to make.

I'd recommend looking in this location for help:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html
  4. magicman9836 said:
    Then can i at least upgrade my pc that im on right now? Here are the specs for it and how much would i need to spend to upgrade it?

AMD dual-core processor C-50 1.1GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6250

2gb ddr3 memory

how much would that cost to upgrade to the specs for borderlands 2?

Hi :)

Umm is that a laptop or Tower specs above ?

5. laptop
  6. Brett928S2 said:

Umm is that a laptop or Tower specs above ?

its a laptop
  7. magicman9836 said:
    its a laptop

Thought so...only things you can normally upgrade on a lappy is ram and hard drive....and i own a lappy repair company....

Also that CPU is NEVER going to play any modern games....

8. Brett928S2 said:

Thought so...only things you can normally upgrade on a lappy is ram and hard drive....and i own a lappy repair company....

really? i live in MNand you? And what are the prices?
  9. bystander said:
    You might be able to build a new PC using a few parts of your existing PC for $399, but that is going to be a tough one to make.

I'd recommend looking in this location for help:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

im only 12 years. i dont think ill be able to build a computer.
  10. Hi :)

This is an International site lol...

I live in the UK (England) , and have no idea where MNand is ....

Also I never sell to anyone here as it would bias my advice...

11. magicman9836 said:
    im only 12 years. i dont think ill be able to build a computer.

If you are 12 I suspect you will have to get your parents to buy you a gaming PC.....

But at least you were sensible enough to come here and ask the correct questions :)

Well done :)

Let them read this thread and they will understand its much cheaper to get you a gaming PC rather than wasting a huge amount of money on a gaming laptop...

12. Brett928S2 said:

If you are 12 I suspect you will have to get your parents to buy you a gaming PC.....

But at least you were sensible enough to come here and ask the correct questions :)

Well done :)

Let them read this thread and they will understand its much cheaper to get you a gaming PC rather than wasting a huge amount of money on a gaming laptop...

i accidently misspelled MN meaning minnesota in the us. Do you think this will work for borderlands 2? sorry for asking so much.

AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M 2.7GHz, 3.2GHz w/Turbo CORE
    4GB of DDR3 SDRAM memory installed
    640GB (5400RPM) hard disk drive
    AMD Radeon HD 7520G Graphics
    15.6" BrightView LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit
  13. magicman9836 said:
    i accidently misspelled MN meaning minnesota in the us. Do you think this will work for borderlands 2? sorry for asking so much.

AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M 2.7GHz, 3.2GHz w/Turbo CORE
    4GB of DDR3 SDRAM memory installed
    640GB (5400RPM) hard disk drive
    AMD Radeon HD 7520G Graphics
    15.6" BrightView LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit

Maybe but only on very low settings...

14. Brett928S2 said:

Maybe but only on very low settings...

How a about a hp pavilion dv7 2.2 8GB
  15. Why are you so insisted on getting a laptop? Ask your parents for help on building a desktop, as I am sure they would want to spend same money on better things. There are many videos showing how to do it, explaining everything in tiniest details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Also, most laptops at that price don't include Windows, and you need that to use the computer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($7.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($25.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Acer V203HLBJbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($95.31 @ Compuvest)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.25 @ Amazon)
    Total: $454.48
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

This is as cheap as it could be made for a computer that will be used for playing games. Note: it will be lightyears in front of any laptop that doesn't cost you $1000. It's around 3-4 times faster than that laptop with 7520G.
  16. Frankly, given his age and experience with computers, and the desire to play games, wanting something somewhat mobile, I'm more inclined to suggested getting a console system, unless the computer is for school work too.
  17. bystander said:
    Frankly, given his age and experience with computers, and the desire to play games, wanting something somewhat mobile, I'm more inclined to suggested getting a console system, unless the computer is for school work too.

bystander said:
    Frankly, given his age and experience with computers, and the desire to play games, wanting something somewhat mobile, I'm more inclined to suggested getting a console system, unless the computer is for school work too.

Well reasoned sir! :)

@ the OP (that's you magicman)
    Just because you're 12 does not mean computer specs, etc will be more complicated. :) With a bit of research, you'll be well informed and most capable in making a decision. Laptops per se are not good platforms for gaming because they're restricted on options as regards hardware choices. If you want a 'decent' gaming experience on a laptop, you're talking about at least 1k, which is so not worth it when compared to a pc! My recommendation, if you've got a requirement of a laptop for school, etc, get a basic one (or use your existing one) and leave the gaming for your pc.

Let's start you off from scratch:
    Basically, you will need a decently powered pc if you're looking at gaming. I'd recommend the following specs for your folks to consider
    CPU: i5-3570 - $214.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233

Graphics Card: ASUS GTX660 Ti - $309.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121656

RAM: 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws - $39.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Motherboard - users to recommend

Power Supply - users to recommend

The above will be good enough for a decent - good gaming experience. Have a word with your parents and then let us know. :)

All the best buddy!
  18. Would one of those HP DV7 2.2 8GB laptops work for
    Borderlands 2?
  19. To give an accurate 'no' we'd need the exact model number (DV7 is a series). But generally speaking, no, none of the GPUs are upto it.
  20. Sunius said:
    Why are you so insisted on getting a laptop? Ask your parents for help on building a desktop, as I am sure they would want to spend same money on better things. There are many videos showing how to do it, explaining everything in tiniest details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Also, most laptops at that price don't include Windows, and you need that to use the computer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($25.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Acer V203HLBJbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($95.31 @ Compuvest)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.25 @ Amazon)
    Total: $454.48
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

This is as cheap as it could be made for a computer that will be used for playing games. Note: it will be lightyears in front of any laptop that doesn't cost you $1000. It's around 3-4 times faster than that laptop with 7520G.

will this include USB ports?
  21. I saw this laptop and i was wondering would this work for borderlands 2 and bf3? Also would it be playable and upgradeable?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1165583&CatId=4938
  22. Hi :)

I realise you are young but we have RULES here at Toms, which I told you yesterday...NO DUPLICATE THREADS... this is your THIRD.....

Reported....

23. Yes, the motherboard has 6 USB ports at the back and the case and two in the front. There will be a total of 8 USB ports.
  24. This next topics has been merged by MouseMonkey
    Help with borderlands 2
    Gaming laptop
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Laptops Graphics Cards Video Games Product