Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I need help.

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 9, 2012 12:06:41 AM

I need help finding a good gaming laptop that i will use for Borderlands 2. I have 2 that may work, its just that i worry that there is something with them that may make it or break it. Please help and im only set to a $399 budget.

Here is the laptops:

The first has these specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium B960 2.2 GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333

Hard drive: 320GB

Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics

And a price of $349.99

The seconds specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium B960 2.2GHz

RAM: 6 GB DDR3

Hard drive: 320GB

Graphics card: Intel HD graphics

And at a price of 379.99

More about : question

a c 249 D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 12:27:21 AM

Hi :) 

You are NOT going to get any even half reasonable GAMING laptop for that price, not unless you add at least another $1000....

Also INTEL HD GRAPHICS are NOT a graphics card....and the minimum requirements require a 512 mb CARD.....

So NEITHER will play it....

Your best bet is to add some more money and BUILD a gaming PC.....(lots cheaper than a gaming lappy)

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 12:34:15 AM

Then can i at least upgrade my pc that im on right now? Here are the specs for it and how much would i need to spend to upgrade it?

AMD dual-core processor C-50 1.1GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6250

2gb ddr3 memory

how much would that cost to upgrade to the specs for borderlands 2?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 217 U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 12:37:28 AM

You might be able to build a new PC using a few parts of your existing PC for $399, but that is going to be a tough one to make.

I'd recommend looking in this location for help:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html
m
0
l
a c 249 D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 12:41:10 AM

magicman9836 said:
Then can i at least upgrade my pc that im on right now? Here are the specs for it and how much would i need to spend to upgrade it?

AMD dual-core processor C-50 1.1GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6250

2gb ddr3 memory

how much would that cost to upgrade to the specs for borderlands 2?



Hi :) 

Umm is that a laptop or Tower specs above ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 12:43:57 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Umm is that a laptop or Tower specs above ?

All the best Brett :) 


its a laptop
m
0
l
a c 249 D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 12:55:41 AM

magicman9836 said:
its a laptop



Hi :) 

Thought so...only things you can normally upgrade on a lappy is ram and hard drive....and i own a lappy repair company....

Also that CPU is NEVER going to play any modern games....

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 12:57:13 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Thought so...only things you can normally upgrade on a lappy is ram and hard drive....and i own a lappy repair company....

All the best Brett :) 


really? i live in MNand you? And what are the prices?
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 12:59:01 AM

bystander said:
You might be able to build a new PC using a few parts of your existing PC for $399, but that is going to be a tough one to make.

I'd recommend looking in this location for help:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html


im only 12 years. i dont think ill be able to build a computer.
m
0
l
a c 249 D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 12:59:28 AM

Hi :) 

This is an International site lol...

I live in the UK (England) , and have no idea where MNand is ....

Also I never sell to anyone here as it would bias my advice...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a c 249 D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 1:01:54 AM

magicman9836 said:
im only 12 years. i dont think ill be able to build a computer.


Hi :) 

If you are 12 I suspect you will have to get your parents to buy you a gaming PC.....

But at least you were sensible enough to come here and ask the correct questions :) 

Well done :) 

Let them read this thread and they will understand its much cheaper to get you a gaming PC rather than wasting a huge amount of money on a gaming laptop...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 1:07:05 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

If you are 12 I suspect you will have to get your parents to buy you a gaming PC.....

But at least you were sensible enough to come here and ask the correct questions :) 

Well done :) 

Let them read this thread and they will understand its much cheaper to get you a gaming PC rather than wasting a huge amount of money on a gaming laptop...

All the best Brett :) 


i accidently misspelled MN meaning minnesota in the us. Do you think this will work for borderlands 2? sorry for asking so much.

AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M 2.7GHz, 3.2GHz w/Turbo CORE
4GB of DDR3 SDRAM memory installed
640GB (5400RPM) hard disk drive
AMD Radeon HD 7520G Graphics
15.6" BrightView LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit
m
0
l
a c 249 D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 1:38:44 AM

magicman9836 said:
i accidently misspelled MN meaning minnesota in the us. Do you think this will work for borderlands 2? sorry for asking so much.

AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M 2.7GHz, 3.2GHz w/Turbo CORE
4GB of DDR3 SDRAM memory installed
640GB (5400RPM) hard disk drive
AMD Radeon HD 7520G Graphics
15.6" BrightView LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit



Hi :) 

Maybe but only on very low settings...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 3:03:36 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Maybe but only on very low settings...

All the best Brett :) 


How a about a hp pavilion dv7 2.2 8GB
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 291 U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 5:11:19 AM

Why are you so insisted on getting a laptop? Ask your parents for help on building a desktop, as I am sure they would want to spend same money on better things. There are many videos showing how to do it, explaining everything in tiniest details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Also, most laptops at that price don't include Windows, and you need that to use the computer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($7.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($7.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($25.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer V203HLBJbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($95.31 @ Compuvest)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.25 @ Amazon)
Total: $454.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

This is as cheap as it could be made for a computer that will be used for playing games. Note: it will be lightyears in front of any laptop that doesn't cost you $1000. It's around 3-4 times faster than that laptop with 7520G.
m
0
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 6:03:30 AM

Frankly, given his age and experience with computers, and the desire to play games, wanting something somewhat mobile, I'm more inclined to suggested getting a console system, unless the computer is for school work too.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 6:41:51 AM

bystander said:
Frankly, given his age and experience with computers, and the desire to play games, wanting something somewhat mobile, I'm more inclined to suggested getting a console system, unless the computer is for school work too.

bystander said:
Frankly, given his age and experience with computers, and the desire to play games, wanting something somewhat mobile, I'm more inclined to suggested getting a console system, unless the computer is for school work too.

Well reasoned sir! :) 

@ the OP (that's you magicman)
Just because you're 12 does not mean computer specs, etc will be more complicated. :)  With a bit of research, you'll be well informed and most capable in making a decision. Laptops per se are not good platforms for gaming because they're restricted on options as regards hardware choices. If you want a 'decent' gaming experience on a laptop, you're talking about at least 1k, which is so not worth it when compared to a pc! My recommendation, if you've got a requirement of a laptop for school, etc, get a basic one (or use your existing one) and leave the gaming for your pc.

Let's start you off from scratch:
Basically, you will need a decently powered pc if you're looking at gaming. I'd recommend the following specs for your folks to consider
CPU: i5-3570 - $214.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics Card: ASUS GTX660 Ti - $309.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws - $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard - users to recommend

Power Supply - users to recommend

The above will be good enough for a decent - good gaming experience. Have a word with your parents and then let us know. :) 

All the best buddy!
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 11:15:10 AM

Would one of those HP DV7 2.2 8GB laptops work for
Borderlands 2?
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 11:32:57 AM

To give an accurate 'no' we'd need the exact model number (DV7 is a series). But generally speaking, no, none of the GPUs are upto it.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 8:54:00 PM

Sunius said:
Why are you so insisted on getting a laptop? Ask your parents for help on building a desktop, as I am sure they would want to spend same money on better things. There are many videos showing how to do it, explaining everything in tiniest details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Also, most laptops at that price don't include Windows, and you need that to use the computer.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G540 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($7.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($7.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($25.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer V203HLBJbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($95.31 @ Compuvest)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.25 @ Amazon)
Total: $454.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

This is as cheap as it could be made for a computer that will be used for playing games. Note: it will be lightyears in front of any laptop that doesn't cost you $1000. It's around 3-4 times faster than that laptop with 7520G.


will this include USB ports?
m
0
l
a c 249 D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 11:51:25 PM

Hi :) 

I realise you are young but we have RULES here at Toms, which I told you yesterday...NO DUPLICATE THREADS... this is your THIRD.....

Reported....

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 291 U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 9:28:00 AM

Yes, the motherboard has 6 USB ports at the back and the case and two in the front. There will be a total of 8 USB ports.
m
0
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 10, 2012 10:32:20 AM

This next topics has been merged by MouseMonkey
  • Help with borderlands 2
  • Gaming laptop
    m
    0
    l
    !