Transfering EQ to a new computer.

Hello group,

I am trying to copy Everquest from one computer to another to have a second
box to run another account on, however, even after installing EQ Trilogy and
then copying my EQ directory to the EQ directory on the new computer, it
still wants to patch the whole thing, which really isn't an option on 56k.
I've tried running complete file checks, and even went to reinstall from my
Trilogy, SoL, etc, CD's, still doing the same thing. If anyone can help,
I'd be thankful.

--
Spellcrafter Benumpian Transon
Officer of <Order of Loki>

    Unfortunately you're basically stuck doing the full patching, even if you've
    copied the directories over. I've not had much luck trying to find away
    around it myself.

    So make friends with someone that has a DSL/cable connection and a router.
    Bring your computer over and hang out with him for a few hours until it
    finishes patching. That or tie up your phone line for several days.

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:44:58 GMT, "Joshua" <Joshua@fakeemail.net> wrote:

    >I am trying to copy Everquest from one computer to another to have a second
    >box to run another account on...

    No installation required. All you have to do is copy the EverQuest folder on your 1st
    computer to your 2nd computer. Then, execute EVERQUEST.EXE and you're good to go.

    Best regards,

    Tim ==
    (substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
    _________________

    Seeq Endestroi
    Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

    My EQ Blog:
    http://seeqoftherathe.blogspot.com

    Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
    http://www.gravewisdom.com

    In article <oa5Oe.44142$rp.732@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, abuse@aol.com
    says...
    > Unfortunately you're basically stuck doing the full patching, even if you've
    > copied the directories over. I've not had much luck trying to find away
    > around it myself.

    It shouldn't. If you've copied the directories over you shouldn't have
    to do a full patch job. The issue is probably the shortcut.

    Try running EQ by doubleclicking it from within the copied over folder.

    "Seeq Endestroi" <seeq@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:44:58 GMT, "Joshua" <Joshua@fakeemail.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I am trying to copy Everquest from one computer to another to have a
    second
    > >box to run another account on...
    >
    > No installation required. All you have to do is copy the EverQuest folder
    on your 1st
    > computer to your 2nd computer. Then, execute EVERQUEST.EXE and you're
    good to go.

    Figured out the problem, got the computer from a friend, and he had a
    that hadn't been patched since LoY!

    Deleted that folder, checked the shortcut and and made sure it was running
    from the right directory, and walla! no more 10day patch lol.

    Thanks for the replies though.

    --
    Spellcrafter Benumpian Transon
    Officer of <Order of Loki>
    The Seventh Hammer

    Joshua <Joshua@fakeemail.net> wrote:
    >I am trying to copy Everquest from one computer to another to have a second
    >box to run another account on, however, even after installing EQ Trilogy and
    >then copying my EQ directory to the EQ directory on the new computer, it
    >still wants to patch the whole thing, which really isn't an option on 56k.

    Unless they've changed something, you don't need to install anything first.
    Just copy the entire everquest directory from an already fully-patched
    machine.

    >I've tried running complete file checks, and even went to reinstall from my
    >Trilogy, SoL, etc, CD's, still doing the same thing. If anyone can help,
    >I'd be thankful.

    Other than adding the data point that last time I did this, about 6 months
    ago, it didn't need to patch, I'm not sure there's any way to help. Make
    sure whatever copy method you're using (I used winzip and then windows file
    sharing to transfer the zipfile) isn't corrupting or losing any files, of
    course.

    Note that it may CHECK a lot of files, but won't actually transfer any.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    "Stanos Herkanor" <abuse@aol.com> wrote in

    > "Joshua" <Joshua@fakeemail.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello group,
    >>
    >> I am trying to copy Everquest from one computer to another to have a
    >> second box to run another account on, however, even after installing
    >> EQ Trilogy and then copying my EQ directory to the EQ directory on
    >> the new computer, it still wants to patch the whole thing, which
    >> really isn't an option on 56k. I've tried running complete file
    >> checks, and even went to reinstall from my Trilogy, SoL, etc, CD's,
    >> still doing the same thing. If anyone can help, I'd be thankful.
    >
    > Unfortunately you're basically stuck doing the full patching, even if
    > you've copied the directories over. I've not had much luck trying to
    > find away around it myself.
    >
    > So make friends with someone that has a DSL/cable connection and a
    > router. Bring your computer over and hang out with him for a few hours
    > until it finishes patching. That or tie up your phone line for
    > several days.

    <toppost corrected>

    I've copied my entire EQ directory more than once without having to
    patch, not sure off hand what Joshua is doing wrong.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    > "Seeq Endestroi" <seeq@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:44:58 GMT, "Joshua" <Joshua@fakeemail.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am trying to copy Everquest from one computer to another to have a
    >> >second box to run another account on...
    >>
    >> No installation required. All you have to do is copy the EverQuest
    >> folder on your 1st computer to your 2nd computer. Then, execute
    >> EVERQUEST.EXE and you're good to go.
    >

    > Figured out the problem, got the computer from a friend, and he had a
    > an EQ that hadn't been patched since LoY!
    >
    > Deleted that folder, checked the shortcut and and made sure it was
    > running from the right directory, and walla! no more 10day patch lol.
    >
    > Thanks for the replies though.

    Please accept my appology in advance, but, it's "Voila", "Walla" is part
    of the name of a city in Washington.

    --

    "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message

    > > Deleted that folder, checked the shortcut and and made sure it was
    > > running from the right directory, and walla! no more 10day patch lol.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the replies though.
    > >

    > Please accept my appology in advance, but, it's "Voila", "Walla" is part
    > of the name of a city in Washington.

    Not a problem, spelling isn't one of my strong points, I make lot's of
    misteaks ;-)

    And for the record, I do know how to spell mistake.

    >On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:44:58 GMT, "Joshua" <Joshua@fakeemail.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to copy Everquest from one computer to another to have a second
    >>box to run another account on...
    >
    >No installation required. All you have to do is copy the EverQuest folder on your 1st
    >computer to your 2nd computer. Then, execute EVERQUEST.EXE and you're good to go.

    It should also be said that, if the opposite is true and you want to force an entirely
    fresh download of every bleedin' file in the EverQuest directory, you can delete
    everything except EVERQUEST.EXE.

    When you run EVERQUEST.EXE inside an otherwise empty folder, a complete re-download will
    commence.

    I have no idea how long this takes over a 1.5MB/s DSL connection because I went to bed
    almost immediately thereafter :>

Computers Games CD-Rom Video Games