Sign in with
Your question

What would you like to see in Windows 8?

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2010 9:42:55 PM

So, I was reading up today and there are people stating that MSFT may release Windows 8 Alpha versions to their closest partners by end of this year or beginning of next year with final RTM some time in 2012. Windows has been unchanged in a lot of ways since the days of Windows 98,etc.

This is what I would like to see (in order of importance):

1. New file system
NTFS is ancient by file system standards now. Lots of things have changed since the time NTFS came out. For example, we have 3TB HDDs and SSDs. The way NTFS/Windows stores files also $uck. This is why there is so much file fragmentation. I would also like to see support for at least reading ext2/ext3/ext4 formatted partitions/drives natively via Windows. I would also like to see SOFTWARE RAID (NOT FakeRAID) support across the board. Currently only Windows 7 Pro and up and Server support software RAID. I would also like to have a improved version of the built in checkdisk and degrag and perhaps back up.

2. Limitation on OEMs
This dosen't apply to me, but this will apply to the Average Joe who buys a HP,Dell,Acer. Microsoft should limit what trial/cr@pware that OEMs can load on to the system. Seriously. Less tech savy people won't know or don't uninstall these cr@pware.

3. Some thing like Switcher (see: http://insentient.net/ ) and VirtuaWin ( http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/ ) integrated to Aero. I use these on my personal PCs and I miss them when I use school PC,etc.

4. Changes to the registry.
Basically, Windows should be smart enough to purge the registry on it's own. This way I won't have to run CCleaner every few weeks :p .

5. Not that important, but I would like to be able to defrag C:\System Volume Information (aka System Restore file). Currently, it is the only thing I can't defrag and it is one of the most fragmented files on my systems.

More about : windows

a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2010 10:10:00 PM

I'm pretty happy with Windows 7 - there isn't a whole lot I'd change.

I'd like to see some improvements in Virtual PC - the ability to host 64-bit OSs and to use USB devices would be terrific.

I'd like them to put back a decent file associations tool, too. In XP you could create new context menu actions for file types but now you're limited to just adding programs to the "Open with..." list.

I'd also love to see a way to easily add customized start menus to the toolbar. Right new I have to do this with my own toolbars, and its a little hokey:

a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2010 10:20:01 PM

For VM, I just use VirtualBox. Don't know what will happen to it since Orcle bought Sun, but imo, Virtual Box is far superior to Virtual PC.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2010 10:26:05 PM

A full free version :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2010 10:57:58 PM

^ lol.
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2010 11:00:27 PM

^a bad idea? :lol: 
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2010 12:31:08 AM

^ Depends. I guess they can do some ad supported OS, but the chances are <1.2%.
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2010 12:41:51 AM

Well just wait for the new OS.
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2010 8:27:15 PM

^ Ok, but what does that have to do with Windows 8?
!