Printer problems with XP SP2 and Network Printer unless lo..

Glen

I have connected 3 new PC's on a P2P network, and connected a HP 4610
Color Laser Printer via a JetDirect 175 print server. On one PC, I can
only print from the Administrator account. The other 2 computers work
fine. On the one that is having issues, when printing a test page I
receive a "Failed to Print" error mesage, and looking in the printer
jobs menu, it shows that there was an error printing. The
Administrator account can print fine from this machine.

The user accounts are "restricted user" accounts on all 3 computers.
All 3 computers are exactly the same type, and all have the latest
updates.

The printer was installed via the Administrator account on all 3
machines. I also installed the existing 2 printers on all the
machines, and the users can print to them from all 3 PC's. (They are a
HP Laserjet 4 plus, and a HP970Cse via JetDirects)

I can not determine why only one PC would exhibit this condition. I
have tried uninstalling the printer and re-installing, but to no avail.

Any help is appreciated.

Glen Pittman

Glen

An update on this issue... All 3 PC's are exhibiting the same
behavior. Restricted users can not print to the printer.

Glen Pittman

glen@zeracom.com wrote:
> I have connected 3 new PC's on a P2P network, and connected a HP 4610
> Color Laser Printer via a JetDirect 175 print server. On one PC, I can
> only print from the Administrator account. The other 2 computers work
> fine. On the one that is having issues, when printing a test page I
> receive a "Failed to Print" error mesage, and looking in the printer
> jobs menu, it shows that there was an error printing. The
> Administrator account can print fine from this machine.
>
> The user accounts are "restricted user" accounts on all 3 computers.
> All 3 computers are exactly the same type, and all have the latest
> updates.
>
> The printer was installed via the Administrator account on all 3
> machines. I also installed the existing 2 printers on all the
> machines, and the users can print to them from all 3 PC's. (They are a
> HP Laserjet 4 plus, and a HP970Cse via JetDirects)
>
> I can not determine why only one PC would exhibit this condition. I
> have tried uninstalling the printer and re-installing, but to no avail.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Glen Pittman

Is this XP Home or Pro? Are you running Norton Antivirus products on the
PCs?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

<glen@zeracom.com> wrote in message
> An update on this issue... All 3 PC's are exhibiting the same
> behavior. Restricted users can not print to the printer.
>
> Glen Pittman
>

> glen@zeracom.com wrote:
>> I have connected 3 new PC's on a P2P network, and connected a HP 4610
>> Color Laser Printer via a JetDirect 175 print server. On one PC, I can
>> only print from the Administrator account. The other 2 computers work
>> fine. On the one that is having issues, when printing a test page I
>> receive a "Failed to Print" error mesage, and looking in the printer
>> jobs menu, it shows that there was an error printing. The
>> Administrator account can print fine from this machine.
>>
>> The user accounts are "restricted user" accounts on all 3 computers.
>> All 3 computers are exactly the same type, and all have the latest
>> updates.
>>
>> The printer was installed via the Administrator account on all 3
>> machines. I also installed the existing 2 printers on all the
>> machines, and the users can print to them from all 3 PC's. (They are a
>> HP Laserjet 4 plus, and a HP970Cse via JetDirects)
>>
>> I can not determine why only one PC would exhibit this condition. I
>> have tried uninstalling the printer and re-installing, but to no avail.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Glen Pittman

Glen is experiencing the same problem I have except that my restricted user
accounts are on the smae machine as my admin accounts. The Admins can print
but the users can't. I am using XP Pro and I am not running Norton Antivirus.

Roger.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Is this XP Home or Pro? Are you running Norton Antivirus products on the
> PCs?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> <glen@zeracom.com> wrote in message
> > An update on this issue... All 3 PC's are exhibiting the same
> > behavior. Restricted users can not print to the printer.
> >
> > Glen Pittman
> >

> > glen@zeracom.com wrote:
> >> I have connected 3 new PC's on a P2P network, and connected a HP 4610
> >> Color Laser Printer via a JetDirect 175 print server. On one PC, I can
> >> only print from the Administrator account. The other 2 computers work
> >> fine. On the one that is having issues, when printing a test page I
> >> receive a "Failed to Print" error mesage, and looking in the printer
> >> jobs menu, it shows that there was an error printing. The
> >> Administrator account can print fine from this machine.
> >>
> >> The user accounts are "restricted user" accounts on all 3 computers.
> >> All 3 computers are exactly the same type, and all have the latest
> >> updates.
> >>
> >> The printer was installed via the Administrator account on all 3
> >> machines. I also installed the existing 2 printers on all the
> >> machines, and the users can print to them from all 3 PC's. (They are a
> >> HP Laserjet 4 plus, and a HP970Cse via JetDirects)
> >>
> >> I can not determine why only one PC would exhibit this condition. I
> >> have tried uninstalling the printer and re-installing, but to no avail.
> >>
> >> Any help is appreciated.
> >>
> >> Glen Pittman

Go into the Control Panel and double click on the Printers & Faxes icon...
Right click on the printer and select Properties...

In the Advanced tab, try setting it to print direct to printer instead of
the default "Spooler" setting.

Can they print now?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Roger Denison" <RogerDenison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Glen is experiencing the same problem I have except that my restricted
> user
> accounts are on the smae machine as my admin accounts. The Admins can
> print
> but the users can't. I am using XP Pro and I am not running Norton
> Antivirus.
>
> Roger.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Is this XP Home or Pro? Are you running Norton Antivirus products on the
>> PCs?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> <glen@zeracom.com> wrote in message
>> > An update on this issue... All 3 PC's are exhibiting the same
>> > behavior. Restricted users can not print to the printer.
>> >
>> > Glen Pittman

gund90

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Try reading this. I was able to allow limited users on my XP pro to print. I haven't figured out how to allow limited users on XP home to do the same. Good Luck.

"http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/er-problems-XP-SP2-Network-er-logged-Administrator-ftopict123073.html"

atuwh

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I've had the same problem with my multifunction printer, but have managed to fix it. Try this:

On printer properties go to the "Port" tab and "Configure port" for the checked port. Replace the printer name with the IP address.

Now if I can just work out how to get the scann[/list]er to work for limited users ...

Kojak666

Kudos for this tip! It worked for me: I have used my HP All-in-one 7410 for a year or two for multiple users on my PC plus two more on my home network. I had to refresh my PC from a new XP Pro SP2 CD and I encountered this issue that, while other boxes on my net still printed fine, only admistrators could print from mine. Not acceptable. I attempted another tip in this thread, to print directly to the printer and not spool. That did not work; my session locked up after the same printer error and had to be killed. I then entered the printer's IP address instead of the printer name and viola! Problem solved.

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Most of the issues that occur while using the printer sharing options take place due to the irregularities in the printer connections and settings. The users are therefore advised to thoroughly verify the connections from and to the printer and computer and also check the ‘Printer Sharing’ settings. The system Firewall settings should also be verified as it might cause issues by blocking connections to and from the system. Reconfiguring the printer and system settings so as to match with recommended optimal settings will help in fixing the issues with the printer sharing features in your computer. :hello:

TRENDING THREADS