Setting up fax on XP home with dsl

August 17, 2005 1:58:03 PM

Is there any way to set up the fax to work with dsl? Or does it have to be
dial-up only?

More about : setting fax home dsl

August 17, 2005 2:21:02 PM

Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use analog
phone lines and analog fax modems (dial-up). Accordingly, no fax software
will
function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you can
obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that line.

Courtesy of:
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"StuartM" wrote:

> Is there any way to set up the fax to work with dsl? Or does it have to be
> dial-up only?
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:40:02 PM

I appreciate your quick response. That is the answer that I was afraid that
I was going to get. I've got the printer with "fax" programming so, along
with the fax console in XP, I figured that I was good to go.

I'll figure another way to go.

Thanks again.

"Byte" wrote:

> Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use analog
> phone lines and analog fax modems (dial-up). Accordingly, no fax software
> will
> function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you can
> obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
> line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that line.
>
> Courtesy of:
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> --
> XP-WNP
> Today is the first day of the
> rest of your life.
>

> "StuartM" wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to set up the fax to work with dsl? Or does it have to be
> > dial-up only?
August 17, 2005 6:21:22 PM

Stuart

Buy an analogue modem or use a fax to e-mail service, example eFax..
www.efax.com

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"StuartM" <StuartM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I appreciate your quick response. That is the answer that I was afraid
>that
> I was going to get. I've got the printer with "fax" programming so, along
> with the fax console in XP, I figured that I was good to go.
>
> I'll figure another way to go.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
>> Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use
>> analog
>> phone lines and analog fax modems (dial-up). Accordingly, no fax software
>> will
>> function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you
>> can
>> obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
>> line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that
>> line.
>>
>> Courtesy of:
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>
>> --
>> XP-WNP
>> Today is the first day of the
>> rest of your life.
>>

>> "StuartM" wrote:
>>
>> > Is there any way to set up the fax to work with dsl? Or does it have
>> > to be
>> > dial-up only?
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:43:05 AM

PS to Mike and Byte's ideas.
\
I am assuming you have an all-in-one unit that prints and faxes and
possibly scans and copies. If so, all is not lost depending on what type
of line you actually have.

A quick check: How does the DSL "modem" connect? Does it connect to a
"phone jack (female)? Perhaps there is an actual phone jack on the modem.
If your answer is yes to either, installing a couple of parts will have
fax working.

If the "modem" connects to a phone jack:
Get a 2 to 1 line splitter from an electronics part store. Make sure it is
the type that splits the line to give two connections to the same line.
Get a filter from your DSL provider or the electronic parts store. Neither
part is expensive. Now, unplug/disconnect the modem from the jack. Plug
the splitter in. Connect the modem to one of the splitter's plugs. Connect
the filter to the other. Plug the phone line from your all-in-one into the
filter. You are good to go.

Use of the fax will tie up your phone line since it is actually acting
like a standard Telco phone set.

Let us know.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"StuartM" <StuartM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
:I appreciate your quick response. That is the answer that I was afraid
that
: I was going to get. I've got the printer with "fax" programming so,
along
: with the fax console in XP, I figured that I was good to go.
:
: I'll figure another way to go.
:
: Thanks again.
:
: "Byte" wrote:
:
: > Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use
analog
: > phone lines and analog fax modems (dial-up). Accordingly, no fax
software
: > will
: > function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you
can
: > obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog
voice
: > line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that
line.
: >
: > Courtesy of:
: > --