Setting up fax on XP home with dsl

Is there any way to set up the fax to work with dsl? Or does it have to be
dial-up only?
4 answers Last reply
More about setting home

    Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use analog
    phone lines and analog fax modems (dial-up). Accordingly, no fax software
    will
    function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you can
    obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
    line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that line.

    Courtesy of:
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    "StuartM" wrote:

    > Is there any way to set up the fax to work with dsl? Or does it have to be
    > dial-up only?

    I appreciate your quick response. That is the answer that I was afraid that
    I was going to get. I've got the printer with "fax" programming so, along
    with the fax console in XP, I figured that I was good to go.

    I'll figure another way to go.

    Thanks again.

    "Byte" wrote:

    > Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use analog
    > phone lines and analog fax modems (dial-up). Accordingly, no fax software
    > will
    > function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you can
    > obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
    > line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that line.
    >
    > Courtesy of:
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    > --
    > XP-WNP
    > Today is the first day of the
    > rest of your life.
    >

    > "StuartM" wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any way to set up the fax to work with dsl? Or does it have to be
    > > dial-up only?

    Stuart

    Buy an analogue modem or use a fax to e-mail service, example eFax..
    www.efax.com

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "StuartM" <StuartM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I appreciate your quick response. That is the answer that I was afraid
    >that
    > I was going to get. I've got the printer with "fax" programming so, along
    > with the fax console in XP, I figured that I was good to go.
    >
    > I'll figure another way to go.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    >> Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use
    >> analog
    >> phone lines and analog fax modems (dial-up). Accordingly, no fax software
    >> will
    >> function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you
    >> can
    >> obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
    >> line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that
    >> line.
    >>
    >> Courtesy of:
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >>
    >> --
    >> XP-WNP
    >> Today is the first day of the
    >> rest of your life.
    >>

    >> "StuartM" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is there any way to set up the fax to work with dsl? Or does it have
    >> > to be
    >> > dial-up only?

    PS to Mike and Byte's ideas.
    \
    I am assuming you have an all-in-one unit that prints and faxes and
    possibly scans and copies. If so, all is not lost depending on what type
    of line you actually have.

    A quick check: How does the DSL "modem" connect? Does it connect to a
    "phone jack (female)? Perhaps there is an actual phone jack on the modem.
    If your answer is yes to either, installing a couple of parts will have
    fax working.

    If the "modem" connects to a phone jack:
    Get a 2 to 1 line splitter from an electronics part store. Make sure it is
    the type that splits the line to give two connections to the same line.
    Get a filter from your DSL provider or the electronic parts store. Neither
    part is expensive. Now, unplug/disconnect the modem from the jack. Plug
    the splitter in. Connect the modem to one of the splitter's plugs. Connect
    the filter to the other. Plug the phone line from your all-in-one into the
    filter. You are good to go.

    Use of the fax will tie up your phone line since it is actually acting
    like a standard Telco phone set.

    Let us know.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "StuartM" <StuartM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    :I appreciate your quick response. That is the answer that I was afraid
    that
    : I was going to get. I've got the printer with "fax" programming so,
    along
    : with the fax console in XP, I figured that I was good to go.
    :
    : I'll figure another way to go.
    :
    : Thanks again.
    :
    : "Byte" wrote:
    :
    : > Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use
    analog
    : > phone lines and analog fax modems (dial-up). Accordingly, no fax
    software
    : > will
    : > function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you
    can
    : > obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog
    voice
    : > line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that
    line.
    : >
    : > Courtesy of:
    : > --
    : > Russ Valentine
    : > [MVP-Outlook]
    : >
    : > --
    : > XP-WNP
    : > Today is the first day of the
    : > rest of your life.
    : >
    : >
    : > "StuartM" wrote:
    : >
    : > > Is there any way to set up the fax to work with dsl? Or does it
    have to be
    : > > dial-up only?

Fax Windows XP Dial Up Connection DSL Microsoft