Is my computer fast for what i put in it?

The_Thing

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I don't have too much money, and my computer is already 6 months old, so the hardware I put into it when I built it is slightly aged. I would like to know if you think it is fast for only costing $1100 to build(all parts were bought new)
Motherboard: Asus A7V333
CPU: Athlon XP 2000(1.666GHZ) overclocked to 2100(1.750GHZ)
CPU Cooler:Swifteck CM460 (the first version) with a
Video card: Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4400 on a Gainward board
Harddrive: Segate Baracuda III (slightly aged) ATA 100
CD/DVD Drives: Asus 16X DVD ATA 100, Asus 40x12x48 ATA66
Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 700NF
Speakers:Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (200 Wats of crystal clear power, can't get better speakers for a PC unless you by the 4.1, 5.1, 4.2 versions.)
Other accessories: PC mods rounded IDE cables(ATA133), PC mods red cold kathode light (Red), Anteck Lighted Green fan(the Red light and Green fan look cool togather)
I did a custom job on the PS, you can do it too, put plastic wire casing around the powerwires, you can get it at any hardware store.
Pleas tell me if you think my money was well spent.

livedistortion

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Sounds pretty nice to me. Don't get too caught up in having the latest and greatest. There will always be better, unless you can afford to keep up. I would go by need rather than what else is out there, you've got an awesome graphics card and that's more important than the CPU for gaming. That computer would run photoshop fine and could do music production. It has sound and is good for multimedia. What are you doing on it that makes the computer seem "aged". We can always use faster, but when you look at alot of these benchmarks you're talking about seconds or less. Maybe if you do cad work or alot of digital video editing you could always go faster, but even then you should do pretty well with video. Think of all the wonderful albums, games, and art produced on computers from just a few years back that seem ancient now.

svol

Champion
Maybe you should consider a ATi Radeon 9500 PRO, they are about the same price as the Ti4400 but have DirectX 9 support.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

The_Thing

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I wasn't intending you guies to think I thought my computer is slow. I know the Geforce 4's are the second fastest line of viedo cards in the world on the current market right now. My CPU is adequet especially since all of the newer games are relatively unaffected by the CPU. I was just wondering if you thought I paid a cheap price to build it (Remember that I had built my computer when the GF4 first came out about 6 months ago, it was the fastest card at the time). Remember also that the components I currently have are also alot cheaper now than they were 6 months ago. I do build my owne systems, I don't like to waste money on buying them.

svol

Champion
Yes it is a fast system. And for the time you build it it was top of the line.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.