Repeating New H/W Notice after successful installation

August 20, 2005 1:51:04 PM

Everytime I boot up i receive the new H/W notice for my printer. The printer
is a Xerox XK50cx multi-function. It is working just fine. When i first
installed it Windows couldn't find the files even though i had the CD. So I
had to install it directly from the vendor CD. While it ran Windows notified
me that the S/W didn't have the MS seal of approval (I don't remember the
actual word) install at my own risk.

This is from Xerox for heavens sake! So I continued witht he installation.

After it Windows kept notifying me of new H/W found I elected not to be
notified again. It still keeps doing it. Any ideas?
--
Keydet
Anonymous

You need to uninstall it.... and then reinstall it. Install the software
and do NOT connect the printer to the PC before the software tells you to do
so.

Since it's an All In One unit, there well may be an uninstall utility at the
Xerox website. While you are there, look for updated drivers as well.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Keydet" <Keydet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I boot up i receive the new H/W notice for my printer. The
> printer
> is a Xerox XK50cx multi-function. It is working just fine. When i first
> installed it Windows couldn't find the files even though i had the CD. So
> had to install it directly from the vendor CD. While it ran Windows
> notified
> me that the S/W didn't have the MS seal of approval (I don't remember the
> actual word) install at my own risk.
>
> This is from Xerox for heavens sake! So I continued witht he
> installation.
>
> After it Windows kept notifying me of new H/W found I elected not to be
> notified again. It still keeps doing it. Any ideas?
> --
> Keydet
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:33:06 PM

Discovered the problem has an added dimension. The notice occurred again
upon rebooting after the uninstall. (printer was not connected) I also
realised that the notice had been identifying the H/W as "printer" not as the
XK50cx all along.

The only devices i have attached are a UPS via a USB and a USB splitter that
has a joystick and a 8 in 1 media reader writer as well as the XK50cx when it
is installed.

This has been going on since before I got the splitter and the other devices.
--
Keydet

"Keydet" wrote:

> Everytime I boot up i receive the new H/W notice for my printer. The printer
> is a Xerox XK50cx multi-function. It is working just fine. When i first
> installed it Windows couldn't find the files even though i had the CD. So I
> had to install it directly from the vendor CD. While it ran Windows notified
> me that the S/W didn't have the MS seal of approval (I don't remember the
> actual word) install at my own risk.
>
> This is from Xerox for heavens sake! So I continued witht he installation.
>
> After it Windows kept notifying me of new H/W found I elected not to be
> notified again. It still keeps doing it. Any ideas?
> --
> Keydet
August 21, 2005 7:36:41 PM

If you have a USB hub, get a powered one. It sounds like your PSU in the PC
is insufficient for all that draw you're putting on the 'splitter'.
--

> Discovered the problem has an added dimension. The notice occurred again
> upon rebooting after the uninstall. (printer was not connected) I also
> realised that the notice had been identifying the H/W as "printer" not as
> the
> XK50cx all along.
>
> The only devices i have attached are a UPS via a USB and a USB splitter
> that
> has a joystick and a 8 in 1 media reader writer as well as the XK50cx when
> it
> is installed.
>
> This has been going on since before I got the splitter and the other
> devices.
> --
> Keydet
>

> "Keydet" wrote:
>
>> Everytime I boot up i receive the new H/W notice for my printer. The
>> printer
>> is a Xerox XK50cx multi-function. It is working just fine. When i first
>> installed it Windows couldn't find the files even though i had the CD. So
>> had to install it directly from the vendor CD. While it ran Windows
>> notified
>> me that the S/W didn't have the MS seal of approval (I don't remember the
>> actual word) install at my own risk.
>>
>> This is from Xerox for heavens sake! So I continued witht he
>> installation.
>>
>> After it Windows kept notifying me of new H/W found I elected not to be
>> notified again. It still keeps doing it. Any ideas?
>> --
>> Keydet
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:00:25 PM

The usb hub is powered. Also the problem started long before I got the hub.
--
Keydet

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If you have a USB hub, get a powered one. It sounds like your PSU in the PC
> is insufficient for all that draw you're putting on the 'splitter'.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Keydet" <Keydet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Discovered the problem has an added dimension. The notice occurred again
> > upon rebooting after the uninstall. (printer was not connected) I also
> > realised that the notice had been identifying the H/W as "printer" not as
> > the
> > XK50cx all along.
> >
> > The only devices i have attached are a UPS via a USB and a USB splitter
> > that
> > has a joystick and a 8 in 1 media reader writer as well as the XK50cx when
> > it
> > is installed.
> >
> > This has been going on since before I got the splitter and the other
> > devices.
> > --
> > Keydet
> >

> > "Keydet" wrote:
> >
> >> Everytime I boot up i receive the new H/W notice for my printer. The
> >> printer
> >> is a Xerox XK50cx multi-function. It is working just fine. When i first
> >> installed it Windows couldn't find the files even though i had the CD. So
> >> had to install it directly from the vendor CD. While it ran Windows
> >> notified
> >> me that the S/W didn't have the MS seal of approval (I don't remember the
> >> actual word) install at my own risk.
> >>
> >> This is from Xerox for heavens sake! So I continued witht he
> >> installation.
> >>
> >> After it Windows kept notifying me of new H/W found I elected not to be
> >> notified again. It still keeps doing it. Any ideas?
> >> --
> >> Keydet

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:06:23 PM

Do one more complete uninstall and reinstall:

> The usb hub is powered. Also the problem started long before I got the
> hub.
> --
> Keydet
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> If you have a USB hub, get a powered one. It sounds like your PSU in the
>> PC
>> is insufficient for all that draw you're putting on the 'splitter'.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Keydet" <Keydet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Discovered the problem has an added dimension. The notice occurred
>> > again
>> > upon rebooting after the uninstall. (printer was not connected) I also
>> > realised that the notice had been identifying the H/W as "printer" not
>> > as
>> > the
>> > XK50cx all along.
>> >
>> > The only devices i have attached are a UPS via a USB and a USB splitter
>> > that
>> > has a joystick and a 8 in 1 media reader writer as well as the XK50cx
>> > when
>> > it
>> > is installed.
>> >
>> > This has been going on since before I got the splitter and the other
>> > devices.
>> > --
>> > Keydet

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:03:04 PM

Keydet wrote:

> The usb hub is powered. Also the problem started long before I got the hub.

Some XP update about a year ago was responsible for this quirk on my
system. I have posted a slightly risky way to fix it under a thread
persistant "New HW Wizard". The relavant part is:

They install OK (despite the usual warnings about unsigned drivers) and
work perfectly but the New Hardware dullard never gets the message. I
have tried all the recommendations in KB298370 and more besides.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298370

Every time I was left with a "failed" H/W wizard installation and a
working printer. I tried it several different ways with and without
reboots between each step in case some file was locked and not deleted.

Eventually I found by comparison with my other good printers that the
following registry key was non-zero on the misbehaving printer:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM\MakerPrinterModel\5&randomhexLPT1,4\ConfigFlags

was a REG_DWORD 0x00000440

Enabling modification of this value and setting it to zero appears to
have resolved the problem with the add hardware wizard failing to
recognise a successful non plug&pray installation.

This is a brutal step to take and essential to backup the registry just
in case. Hacking at the registry with a flint axe is dangerous and you
do it at your peril, but this method seems to have cured my problem once
and for all. And it may work for other elderly printers or devices with
drivers that don't do exactly what the new hardware dullard expects.

Try this at your own risk! YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown
!