Help OverClocking a 1700+

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Can some one give me help OverClocking my 1700+. The comp is a 1700+, MSI KT266 pro2 (6380), Volcano 7+, 256 (2100) Corsair ram, GeForce2GTS, SB Live 5.1 XGammer, WD 40GB 7200rpm (400BB). Thanks for your time. Take care.

Hang in there. It can only get better!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Have you taken the time and effor to unlock (close) the bridges on the CPU?
If not the only way to overclock is to raise the system bus speed (FSB).
A good quality CPU cooler and decent case cooling is a must.

This should be done in a slow methodical fashion, a few Mhz at a time.
make your ram timings lax, so you know the ram wont hinder your ability to overclock. Then raise the fsb and thouroughly test for instability by using sandra, Toast, and expecially Prime95 as well as some utility for monitoring temps and voltages. Prime 95 is good for detecting calculation errors.

Eventually you will reach a point where the system will just crash. Increase the core voltage a little and try again.
Keep a log of what works and what doesnt.
Probably the biggest problem with FSB overclocking is that the PCI and AGP speeds are locked to the fsb... so at some point your PC may refuse to work, no matter what you try.
PCI devices and hard drives often have problems with excessive speeds.

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
<b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Thanks for your reply. I dont want to unlock my CPU. The bios automaticly adjusts the PCI timing to the FSB change. Talk more to me about the ram. where is a good place to start with the ram. I was able to increase the FSB and voltage last night and the bios detected my 1700+ as a 1900+ but windows 98 would not boot. It did not give me any errors. It just came to the blue windows screen and stopped. I am using a Volcano 7+ so cooling shouldn't be a problem. I am using MBM5 for temps now. Where can I get the other software you are talking about? Thanks again. Take care.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm.
i would have tried a smaller jump first... probably to XP1800+ speeds first. Get a feel as to how well your chip overclocks. It may take a little extra voltage to get to XP1900+ speeds... or it may take alot... or if you have an early chip it may not get there at all.

E.G. My XP1800+ AGOGA
stock speed is 1533Mhz
1533Mhz wil run all the way down to 1.625v
1600Mhz needs a minimum of 1.75v
1666Mhz needs 1.85v

You can try some extra voltage, see if that helps, bt for now dont go above 1.85v

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
I did get it to an 1800+ at 1550mhz. (I am running the older .18 chip which runs stock at 1.75v.) All by changing the FSB. I bumped up the voltage to 1.775. No real temp change. DO I have to unlock the CPU to change the clock ratio safely? I really don't want to unlock it. If I go further with the FSB, do I need to increase the ram voltage? Tahnks for your time. Take care.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Hard to tell. You can allways give the ram more voltage, just to be certain. And run the program Memtest86 to determine if your ram is havving problems at those speeds.

You dont HAVE to unlock the chip, but in doing so you get to avoid all the problems inherent with FSB overclocking.

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Thanks again.. I will play more with it tomorrow. I will try and find mem test. If you know where I can find it please post. I will post my results. Take care.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
LOL
<A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">http://www.memtest86.com</A> :smile: