NO PRINT DRIVER IN WINDOWS 7

SuperScript7

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Hi,

It seems that Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) does NOT offer a printer driver for the NEC SuperScript 860 laser printer (nor a generic alternative). As well, NEC no longer offers support and upgrades for this product.

Due to the fact that my new computer uses Windows 7, unfortunately, I can no longer use my NEC printer.

Is anyone aware of another printer driver which will work with this NEC printer in Windows 7 (64 bit)?

Is there any other way that I can get this NEC printer working with Windows 7?

Many thanks...

You won't be able to find a Windows 7 driver for any NEC printer since they stopped making printers more than two years ago. They've never had any Vista printer drivers either.

If you can find a printer that uses PCL 4.5 in the list of printers that are supported by Windows 7 you can try that and see if it works.

SuperScript7

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Hello again...

After scouring the Internet for a few hours, I managed to discover that the NEC SuperScript 860 printer was designed to emulate the HP LaserJet iiP printer. Therefore, I manually installed this specific HP printer driver in Windows 7. As a result, my NEC printer is now functional.

However, the usual resolution of my NEC printer (600 dpi) has now been reduced to only 300 dpi. This is a limitation of the HP printer which is being emulated... and for which the now-installed HP printer driver was intended. That being said, the HP driver seems to be faster than the original NEC printer driver.

Although I did manage to locate a website which provided another solution which preserved the 600 dpi resolution of the NEC printer, the procedure seemed far too complex for me and required a CD containing the 64-bit version of Windows XP Professional to provide the required printer driver.

In any case, the current solution seems adequate for my purposes. I'm happy! :)

Thanks!