System reboots when I try to print

Jody

I have a Sony Pentium 4 and Windows XP Professional. Things were working
fine up until about 3 weeks ago when suddenly the system would reboot when I
tried to print. The error message would take me to the Windows Update page
and tell me to update the ethernet adapter, which was erroneous as it
referred to an adapter I don't have.
I've tried to delete the printer, but when I open the printer folder in
Control Panel the system reboots before I can delete anything. I've upgraded
the driver for the printer, which is an Epson C62. I've tried a system
restore but that didn't help either. I'm getting desperate. Thanks for your
help.

Jody Wrote:
> I have a Sony Pentium 4 and Windows XP Professional. Things were
> working
> fine up until about 3 weeks ago when suddenly the system would reboot
> when I
> tried to print. The error message would take me to the Windows Update
> page
> and tell me to update the ethernet adapter, which was erroneous as it
> referred to an adapter I don't have.
> I've tried to delete the printer, but when I open the printer folder
> in
> Control Panel the system reboots before I can delete anything. I've
> upgraded
> the driver for the printer, which is an Epson C62. I've tried a
> system
> restore but that didn't help either. I'm getting desperate. Thanks
> for your
> help.

I have the same wierd problem at my workplace. However, my situation is
more weird because we have 2 rows of computers with about 10 computers
on each side. The thing is, only the front row of computers reboot when
they print. Also, it is also random reboots so it is drivng me crazy. I
tried looking at the event viewer and it said something like "The
computer rebooted because of a bugcheck" and then a lot of values after
that. Try checking your event viewer after your next reboot. Or you can
try right clicking your My computer, and then properties. Next, go to
the Advanced tab and then Startup and Recovery option. Now, uncheck the
Automatically Reboot option so you get to see the BSOD the next time it
happens so you can see if there is an error messge or not.

PS. I have read a lot of different places and many people suggest that
it is due to hardware problems. However, in my case, I am not so sure
because all 20 of the computers in my lab are the same brand, type,
memory etc...So I also need help on this issue as well. Hope other
techies can help us out as well. Thanks.

--
Evolution54

Jody

That's totally bizarre. I have checked the Event Viewer and only find
reference to faultrep.dll....no idea what that means and no help from
Knowledge Base. I also
unchecked the automatic restart, but it still reboots when the mouse even
goes near the word "printer" in the control panel. It feels like it's
possessed.
Let's hope someone has the answer.

I'm going to guess at Stop Error 0A.....
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Now what has changed in the PC since it didn't reboot on printing.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Jody" <Jody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> That's totally bizarre. I have checked the Event Viewer and only find
> reference to faultrep.dll....no idea what that means and no help from
> Knowledge Base. I also
> unchecked the automatic restart, but it still reboots when the mouse even
> goes near the word "printer" in the control panel. It feels like it's
> possessed.
> Let's hope someone has the answer.

Jody

The error message is:
BCCode:1000007f BCP1:00000008 BCPZ:8004200 BCP3:00000000
BCPH:00000000 OSver: 5_1 2600 SP:1_0 Product: 256_1
WER6.ymp.dir.00\sysdata.xml

I haven't added any new hardward, and the only additional software is
Microsoft Beta Antispyware. I can't delete the printer because the system
reboots as soon as I open the printer folder. I appreciate any help you can
provide. Thanks.