overclocking stops me doing a restart

paul8811

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
Hi...I have tried overclocking by upping the mulitplier from, 12 * 166 (only tried 12.5 & 13) when I do the system all seems ok, until that I choose restart from within win2000. THe PC shuts down & then fails to boot. I have to then do a Cold boot & the PC goes straight into the BIOS settings telling me the multiplier is wrong & check the settings. If I change it back to 12 its all fine again.

ASUS A7V8X
XP2400
256 DDR pc2700
Radeon 8500
Win 2000.

I have a feeling this might be normal & there is a setting I need to change in the BIOS, can someone please confirm this though & what setting to tweak if any.

Thanks

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Have you physically unlocked the CPU?
I don't think you have... or it wasnt done quite right...
You have to unlock the chip in order for it to boot properly at anything other than the CPU's set multiplier.
As its dying on reboot the motherboard & bios must be recognising that something isnt quite right.

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
<b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpooBAA on 11/19/02 08:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

paul8811

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
Right...so do I need to do this Pencil trick I have heard about? If so anyone got a good link for s step by step guide?

ZondaC12

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2002
I happen to have the same processor-- all multipliers 13x AND UP are unlocked with the 2400+ from the time it leaves the factory. BUT, you need to use a totally different process to unlock 12.5x--6x which involves two of the BOTTOM PINS. i forget where i found out though. ill try and find it.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
thats pretty cool. i still dont know why they bother cutting the bridges in the first place. my old ahyja t'bird was totally unlocked out the packaging.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I will tell you why. With the old thunderbirds you had every tom dick and harry overclocking them and killing the CPU`s and returning them under warranty. Now because they were factory unlocked or the pencil trick was easily cleaned up there was no easy way for them to tell if it had been overclocked or not. Now along come the XP`s with the laser cut hole in them that has do be filled in. Now if you fill it in you would never be able to completly clean it out. So they then have a way to tell if it is likely to have been overclocked. It still allows people to overclock but means that they dont have to replace wrecked ones. And a plus because if people do wreck them then they have to buy a new CPU so more sales for AMD.
AREA_51

TRENDING THREADS