i'm trying to set up my fax on windows xp but it will only work through my
dial up modem and i want it to work through my blueyonder broadband
connection. only problem is that it's not showing my cable modem in the drop
down box when it asks what connection to use. how can i make it select my
cable modem? if i have to use my dial up connection would it be as easy as
connecting a 2 way splitter to my phone point then adding a modem cable to
the back of my pc? and how much would the phone calls cost? also, can i use
the same phone number for my fax? would really appreciate any help. cheers
muchly! :O)

Adding a litle tto Carey's post, you can, indeed, connect a 2 way splitter
to your phone point then adding a modem cable to the back of your pc? Fax
phone calls will cost you exactly the same as a similar voice call on your
phone service; the same local and long distance charges that would apply to
voice calls will apply to fax calls. You would use the same number as your
voice phone line; you could have this changed by your phone company (called
"Distinctive Ring") however, the Windows XP Fax module doesn't know how to
deal with Distinctive Ring anymore, so a third party helper device would be
necessary:

http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
Emerson Switchboard
http://www.command-comm.com/products.html
ComSwitch®

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"little_miss_stroppy_knickers" <little_miss_stroppy_knickers
@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i'm trying to set up my fax on windows xp but it will only work through my
> dial up modem and i want it to work through my blueyonder broadband
> connection. only problem is that it's not showing my cable modem in the
drop
> down box when it asks what connection to use. how can i make it select my
> cable modem? if i have to use my dial up connection would it be as easy
as
> connecting a 2 way splitter to my phone point then adding a modem cable to
> the back of my pc? and how much would the phone calls cost? also, can i
use
> the same phone number for my fax? would really appreciate any help.
cheers
> muchly! :O)

Unlike most dial-up modems, a broadband modem is not capable
of connecting to fax machines, so you cannot send or receive faxes
directly. Fax uses analog signals and broadband is based on digital.

In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
with a live telephone line attached. You cannot use broadband unless you
use a web-base fax service, such as eFax:
http://www2.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/homePage?rqcp=1

Or consider purchasing a conventional fax machine and connect it to your
phone line.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"little_miss_stroppy_knickers" wrote:

| i'm trying to set up my fax on windows xp but it will only work through my
| dial up modem and i want it to work through my blueyonder broadband
| connection. only problem is that it's not showing my cable modem in the drop
| down box when it asks what connection to use. how can i make it select my
| cable modem? if i have to use my dial up connection would it be as easy as
| connecting a 2 way splitter to my phone point then adding a modem cable to
| the back of my pc? and how much would the phone calls cost? also, can i use
| the same phone number for my fax? would really appreciate any help. cheers
| muchly! :O)

ta much indeed for your help. you've both confirmed what i expected which is
great! i can do it either way as i have an hp all in one fax printer so i
can connect this or my pc. i've actually put the phone cable from my
telephone into the back of my printer and tried to send a fax but as i tried
sending a fax to my own phone number it wouldn't go through cos it was
engaged! doh! i only want to set it up to send one fax that will cost me £3
to send at the library! i'll give it a go with the fax i need to send and see
what happens.

ta muchly once again and take care. :O) XXX