Best Athlon XP 2400+ HSF?

Here's what I'm looking to build:
<pre>- AMD Athlon XP 2400+
- Gigabyte GA-7VAX
- Corsair 512MB DDR333 (w/heat spreader)
- ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
- WD 800JB hard drive
- Antec Performance Plus 660 Case
(3 fans: 1 in front, side, and rear)
</pre><p>I am not planning on overclocking any of these parts. Therfore, what I am looking for is a heatsink with good cooling performance, a low noise level, (the PC is in my bedroom) and a reasonable price tag. What do you guys recommend? Also, what is your advice in the way of CPU shims? Many thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about best athlon 2400
  1. buy retail then it should suffice
    if not, ax7 is relatively cheap, paired up with any 80mm fan
  2. I was using a Volcano on my 2200+ with no shim. It has adjustable spees so you can balance cooling and noise. Check it out at www.thermaltake.com. Good luck.

Hang in there. It can only get better!
  3. How about a stock cooler?

A. Does the job.
    B. Isnt too loud.
    C. Is cheap.

[rhetorical question]
    Why are people so scared ofthe stock cooler?
    [/rhetorical question]

P.S. With that number of casefans, your case is likely to be considerably noisy anyway. Getting a quiet cpu fan probably wouldnt do much for your overall noise level.

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
    <b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpooBAA on 11/19/02 08:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  4. Maybe I have a skewed perception of what "noisy" is, but in my current rig I have 1 front and 1 rear fan, (both are generic, no-name 80mm fans) plus a PCI slot fan. My system runs at a fairly cool temp, and isn't the slightest bit too noisy. In the new setup, the side fan will be a Vantec Stealth, as it is the one I would most likely hear over the others. When I am typing at a fairly steady pace, I can hardly hear the case fans over the keystrokes. I would like similar or better performance in my new machine.

As for the heatsink, I've heard that the stock Athlon XP cooler runs considerably hotter than most third-party models. Does anyone have some links to good reviews/comparisons? I'd trust Intel's stock cooler, so I guess that AMD's stock cooler can't be too awful. Any other advice? Thanks for everything so far, I really appreciate it.
  5. The stock cooler for the high end XP's is actually pretty good. A talsio i think with a copper insert.
    And it really doesnt matter if it runs a few degrees hotter, so long as it doesnt crash durning the hottest weather you have.

As for Cooler reviews, see em here. Gazillions of the suckers.

<A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm" target="_new">http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm</A>

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
    <b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>
  6. Ditto.

Even the nappest little coolers can do the job well enough. You won't be overclocking at all, but you can run stock just fine.

Case cooling is also a major issue. A side fan negates this issue.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Windows XP Overclocking