PC 5220 data card no longer works well in SF Bay Area

I've had a PC 5220 data card and Verizon's $80/month data plan since
last June. For the first six or so months it was ok, but over the
past month or two it's become unusable. It disconnects every two or
three minutes, whether I'm on a train or sitting still. I suspect
that the problem is related to Verizon's introduction of EVDO --
sometimes I see bursts of very high-speed data -- but can't confirm.

The problem is particularly pronounced when I'm running Linux. I use
it less often from Windows, where the things I do aren't as demanding,
and where I don't know how to tell if it's disconnecting/reconnecting
or just not transmitting for a few moments.

Has anybody else in the SF Bay Area experienced this? I'm trying to
determine whether my card's malfunctioning -- in which case Verizon
will replace it under warranty -- or whether something else, perhaps a
change in the Linux drivers, is going on.

Thanks,

--Eric

fixin@peak.org wrote:
> I've had a PC 5220 data card and Verizon's $80/month data plan since
> last June. For the first six or so months it was ok, but over the
> past month or two it's become unusable. It disconnects every two or
> three minutes, whether I'm on a train or sitting still. I suspect
> that the problem is related to Verizon's introduction of EVDO --
> sometimes I see bursts of very high-speed data -- but can't confirm.
>
> The problem is particularly pronounced when I'm running Linux. I use
> it less often from Windows, where the things I do aren't as demanding,
> and where I don't know how to tell if it's disconnecting/reconnecting
> or just not transmitting for a few moments.
>
> Has anybody else in the SF Bay Area experienced this? I'm trying to
> determine whether my card's malfunctioning -- in which case Verizon
> will replace it under warranty -- or whether something else, perhaps a
> change in the Linux drivers, is going on.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Eric

I'm in Vegas and have a similar problem with the card in EVDO mode.. I just
changed it to connect to 1x only... Don't know if the Linux drivers have a
setting for that, but if so, you may want to give that a try (at least as a
test/option to see if it the card/software/etc or the system)

Make SURE you have the "Venturi" software turned OFF!
I had similar problems in Los ANgeles...turning off the Venturi software
made it as good as it was before.