Event ID 6161 for network-printer

Hi,

Since a couple of days I can no longer print to my HP Officejet through
the JetDirect (network device).
When I check the event log I see the following message:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6161
[snip]
The description for Event ID ( 6161 ) in Source ( Print ) cannot be
found.
[snip]
The following information is part of the event: ; caroline; hp
officejet g series; NT EMF 1.008; 65536; 0; 1; 0; \\LINXP; 2250
(0x8ca);

I've already found out that the code 2250 means 'not connected' but I'm
puzzled here.
According to the port comfiguration the printer is connected to
officejet:9100
When I telnet to officejet port 9100 from a cmd-box I do get a
connection and a response from the printer.
Other machines also have no problem printing.

Does anyone know what I can do?

Arjen Haayman
13 answers Last reply
More about event 6161 network printer

    I've got some more information:
    - None of the users, including administrator can print
    - I've reinstalled the HP software, without the hoped-for result.

    Arjen Haayman

    Did you check:
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "ahaayman@deadspam.com" <arjen.haayman@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Since a couple of days I can no longer print to my HP Officejet through
    > the JetDirect (network device).
    > When I check the event log I see the following message:
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Print
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 6161
    > [snip]
    > The description for Event ID ( 6161 ) in Source ( Print ) cannot be
    > found.
    > [snip]
    > The following information is part of the event: ; caroline; hp
    > officejet g series; NT EMF 1.008; 65536; 0; 1; 0; \\LINXP; 2250
    > (0x8ca);
    >
    > I've already found out that the code 2250 means 'not connected' but I'm
    > puzzled here.
    > According to the port comfiguration the printer is connected to
    > officejet:9100
    > When I telnet to officejet port 9100 from a cmd-box I do get a
    > connection and a response from the printer.
    > Other machines also have no problem printing.
    >
    > Does anyone know what I can do?
    >
    > Arjen Haayman

    I have now, but it doesn't apply. My printer used to work nicely, up
    until a few days ago. AFAIK I didn't change any of the
    printer-settings...
    Somehow there's something wrong with the connection now???

    Arjen

    Check with HP for an update for your printer. There should be a hotfix or
    similar.
    --

    >I have now, but it doesn't apply. My printer used to work nicely, up
    > until a few days ago. AFAIK I didn't change any of the
    > printer-settings...
    > Somehow there's something wrong with the connection now???
    >
    > Arjen

    There isn't any.

    Does anyone have any specific knowledge about the error message?
    I'm particularly interested in the question: why does the printer (or
    spooler?) say there's no connection to my JetDirect, while other
    programs (ping, telnet, ftp) can make a connection?

    On http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824339 it says:
    · ERROR_NOT_CONNECTED (2250)

    This error code means that this network connection does not exist. You
    may receive this error code when the spooler cannot contact the network
    printer device. You must troubleshoot the connectivity.

    Hmmm, did you work your way through:
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Printing%20to%20Print%20Server%20device.htm

    You might want to contact HP direct.
    --

    There isn't any.

    Does anyone have any specific knowledge about the error message?
    I'm particularly interested in the question: why does the printer (or
    spooler?) say there's no connection to my JetDirect, while other
    programs (ping, telnet, ftp) can make a connection?

    On http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824339 it says:
    · ERROR_NOT_CONNECTED (2250)

    This error code means that this network connection does not exist. You
    may receive this error code when the spooler cannot contact the network
    printer device. You must troubleshoot the connectivity.

    > Hmmm, did you work your way through:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsander s/Printing%20to%20Print%20Serv er%20devi...

    Yes, I did. When I setup a new port (type: HP Standard TCP/IP Port) the
    print server device is queried and all the correct settings are found:
    Protocol: Raw and Port: 9100. Apparently during setup there's a
    succesful network connection. But as soon as I want to print, the
    connection fails.

    Amazing though: this morning, when I looked at the printer properties 1
    document in the queue did get printed, but this was the last document
    that made it succesfully.

    Arjen
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Are you using a DNS hostname or a static address in the port configuration?

    The issue may revolve around SNMP configuration on the device. Disable SNMP
    in the port configuration and see if that clears up the issue.

    Also what type of Jetdirect? If it's a multi port be sure you are connected
    to the proper connection that corresponds to the RAW 9100, 9101, 9102 tcp/ip
    port usage.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "ahaayman@deadspam.com" <arjen.haayman@gmail.com> wrote in message
    There isn't any.

    Does anyone have any specific knowledge about the error message?
    I'm particularly interested in the question: why does the printer (or
    spooler?) say there's no connection to my JetDirect, while other
    programs (ping, telnet, ftp) can make a connection?

    On http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824339 it says:
    · ERROR_NOT_CONNECTED (2250)

    This error code means that this network connection does not exist. You
    may receive this error code when the spooler cannot contact the network
    printer device. You must troubleshoot the connectivity.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    > Are you using a DNS hostname or a static address in the port
    > configuration?
    DNS hostname (I run an internal DNS-server). Why could that be
    important?

    >The issue may revolve around SNMP configuration on the device. >Disable SNMP
    >in the port configuration and see if that clears up the issue.
    SNMP is already disabled (What is that BTW?)

    > Also what type of Jetdirect? If it's a multi port be sure you are >connected to the proper connection that corresponds to the RAW
    > 100, 9101, 9102 tcp/ip port usage.
    It's not multiport.

    Arjen
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I seem to be having the same problem you are experiencing. This all
    came about after I applied a security patch from microsoft that had to
    do with the print spooler service. The patch is KB896423.. Just
    wondering if you recently applied the the same patch.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Yes, I have (apparently). I've uninstalled the patch and now I can
    print again.
    Thanks!
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Do you remember which patch it was?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Arjen Haayman" <arjen.haayman@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, I have (apparently). I've uninstalled the patch and now I can
    > print again.
    > Thanks!

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    > Do you remember which patch it was?
    Like it said in the previous post: KB896423
    I've also mentioned this to the Dutch HP customer service, so maybe
    they'll make a patch for their software (or could this only be solved
    by Microsoft?)

    Arjen Haayman

Officejet Network Printer Event Id Windows XP