Which VZW phones handlesfringe areas OTHER than Nokias?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 13, 2005 2:39:29 PM

I am looking to upgrade my current Verizon phone. I currently have the
Nokia 3589i, which I originally got because we live in a rural part of
New Hampshire, and my previous phone (LG VX4400), while otherwise
excellent, just could not hold a consistent signal in our house. The
Nokia was reputed to be the best at working in such fringe areas, and
it has worked as advertised. However, I am growing frustrated at other
features of the phone (such as it not having a simple "vibrate" mode
that I can use in meetings - I just set it to "meeting" this morning,
forgot to set it back, and missed an important call), and would like to
upgrade.

The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified, is:
What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe areas
as the Nokias?

Thanks,
Steven
April 13, 2005 10:37:23 PM

Dean wrote:
> Have you tried the Moto v265? It has an excellent reputation for RF.
My
> wife's is quite a bit better than my v60s. Lousy camera, but we
didn't much
> care for a camera anyway.

I don't see that one on the Verizon web site. Is it a current phone?

-Steven-
April 14, 2005 4:50:29 AM

Have you tried the Moto v265? It has an excellent reputation for RF. My
wife's is quite a bit better than my v60s. Lousy camera, but we didn't much
care for a camera anyway.

Take advantage of the 15-day return policy, try it, bring it back if NG.

Dean
___________________________________
"Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am looking to upgrade my current Verizon phone. I currently have the
> Nokia 3589i, which I originally got because we live in a rural part of
> New Hampshire, and my previous phone (LG VX4400), while otherwise
> excellent, just could not hold a consistent signal in our house. The
> Nokia was reputed to be the best at working in such fringe areas, and
> it has worked as advertised. However, I am growing frustrated at other
> features of the phone (such as it not having a simple "vibrate" mode
> that I can use in meetings - I just set it to "meeting" this morning,
> forgot to set it back, and missed an important call), and would like to
> upgrade.
>
> The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
> the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified, is:
> What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe areas
> as the Nokias?
>
> Thanks,
> Steven

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:30:56 PM

On 13 Apr 2005 10:39:29 -0700, "Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I am looking to upgrade my current Verizon phone. I currently have the
>Nokia 3589i, which I originally got because we live in a rural part of
>New Hampshire, and my previous phone (LG VX4400), while otherwise
>excellent, just could not hold a consistent signal in our house. The
>Nokia was reputed to be the best at working in such fringe areas, and
>it has worked as advertised. However, I am growing frustrated at other
>features of the phone (such as it not having a simple "vibrate" mode
>that I can use in meetings - I just set it to "meeting" this morning,
>forgot to set it back, and missed an important call), and would like to
>upgrade.
>
>The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
>the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified, is:
> What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe areas
>as the Nokias?
>
>Thanks,
>Steven

I know it's expensive but I just bought a Motorola V710. It flat out
works well where my other phones didn't. The second best phone I had
was a Motorola V60i.

If you are not going to buy a Motorola I would strongly consider a
phone with an extendable antenna rather than a stub. The Samsung 670
has one and has a reputation as a good phone.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:36:19 PM

"Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am looking to upgrade my current Verizon phone. I currently have
the
> Nokia 3589i, which I originally got because we live in a rural part
of
> New Hampshire, and my previous phone (LG VX4400), while otherwise
> excellent, just could not hold a consistent signal in our house.
The
> Nokia was reputed to be the best at working in such fringe areas,
and
> it has worked as advertised. However, I am growing frustrated at
other
> features of the phone (such as it not having a simple "vibrate" mode
> that I can use in meetings - I just set it to "meeting" this
morning,
> forgot to set it back, and missed an important call), and would like
> upgrade.
>
> The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
> the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified,
is:
> What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe
areas
> as the Nokias?

I've been trying a 6015i for a few days and the Sprint equivalent the
6016i. They seem to have very good reception.

The 6015i is supposed to have some of the best reception it the Nokia
lineup.

I've been using several Verizon Nokia 3285 phones for almost a year
and they have had great reception all over the US. About 3 weeks ago
the service in parts of Oakland, CA has gone south. Almost all of the
calls I receive or try to make at my house get dropped or fade in and
out. I don't even get my missed call messages. This happens with 4
different phones, 3 of them are new including the 6015i!

If Verizon doesn't fix the problem soon, I'm going to have to drop
them and go to the dark side. The Sprint 6016i has been working great
almost everywhere I travel throughout northern California.

BTW, I like phones with minimal features. I have large fingers that
cover 2-4 buttons on the wanker toys that are offered as "phones" in
the current market.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
April 15, 2005 12:53:54 AM

TeddeLI wrote:

> I know it's expensive but I just bought a Motorola V710. It flat out
> works well where my other phones didn't. The second best phone I had
> was a Motorola V60i.
>
> If you are not going to buy a Motorola I would strongly consider a
> phone with an extendable antenna rather than a stub. The Samsung 670
> has one and has a reputation as a good phone.

I replaced my Nokia with the V710. It does not work well at all at my
house, so it goes back tomorrow.

I have a feeling the Nokia line is the only one that will work
acceptably at home. Damn.

-Steven-
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:58:01 AM

TeddeLI wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2005 10:39:29 -0700, "Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I am looking to upgrade my current Verizon phone. I currently have the
> >Nokia 3589i, which I originally got because we live in a rural part of
> >New Hampshire, and my previous phone (LG VX4400), while otherwise
> >excellent, just could not hold a consistent signal in our house. The
> >Nokia was reputed to be the best at working in such fringe areas, and
> >it has worked as advertised. However, I am growing frustrated at other
> >features of the phone (such as it not having a simple "vibrate" mode
> >that I can use in meetings - I just set it to "meeting" this morning,
> >forgot to set it back, and missed an important call), and would like to
> >upgrade.
> >
> >The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
> >the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified, is:
> > What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe areas
> >as the Nokias?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Steven
>
> I know it's expensive but I just bought a Motorola V710. It flat out
> works well where my other phones didn't. The second best phone I had
> was a Motorola V60i.
>
> If you are not going to buy a Motorola I would strongly consider a
> phone with an extendable antenna rather than a stub. The Samsung 670
> has one and has a reputation as a good phone.

The nokia 6015i seems about the same or a little better than the motorola
265 but mot is flip phone and has a camera. We have both. Either has good
reception. mot also has good speakerphone.

LB
April 18, 2005 7:34:15 AM

Dunno if it's on the website, but you should be able to find one at a store
for sure. I think it's less than a year old. They were giving them away
recently though, so perhaps they dropped it.

Dean
_____________________________________-

> Dean wrote:
>> Have you tried the Moto v265? It has an excellent reputation for RF.
> My
>> wife's is quite a bit better than my v60s. Lousy camera, but we
> didn't much
>> care for a camera anyway.
>

> I don't see that one on the Verizon web site. Is it a current phone?
>
> -Steven-

April 18, 2005 9:00:56 PM

"Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113413969.311059.161520
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
> the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified, is:
> What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe areas
> as the Nokias?
>
> Thanks,
> Steven

I tried several different phones, and at the time I bought, found (and
still find) the Samsung a670 to have great reception. Even though it's
digital only, it holds signal well where the LG I tried couldn't. I've been
very happy with the reception. I love Nokia bar phones, but the current
offering at Verizon are too big for me. If they do get the 6235, I'll
probably check it out.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 9:00:57 PM

Bean wrote:

> "Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113413969.311059.161520
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>

> > The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
> > the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified, is:
> > What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe areas
> > as the Nokias?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steven
>
> I tried several different phones, and at the time I bought, found (and
> still find) the Samsung a670 to have great reception. Even though it's
> digital only, it holds signal well where the LG I tried couldn't. I've been
> very happy with the reception. I love Nokia bar phones, but the current
> offering at Verizon are too big for me. If they do get the 6235, I'll
> probably check it out.

Moto V265 is worth trying.
Remember you 15 day trials.

LB
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 9:52:47 PM

In article <XUF8e.25587$1p4.380@trndny06>, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Dunno if it's on the website, but you should be able to find one at a store
> for sure. I think it's less than a year old. They were giving them away
> recently though, so perhaps they dropped it.
>
> Dean
> _____________________________________-
> "Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Dean wrote:
> >> Have you tried the Moto v265? It has an excellent reputation for RF.
> > My
> >> wife's is quite a bit better than my v60s. Lousy camera, but we
> > didn't much
> >> care for a camera anyway.
> >

> > I don't see that one on the Verizon web site. Is it a current phone?
> >
> > -Steven-

I tried to take advantage of the "free" v265 for signing a new 2-yr
contract (got offer in the mail recently and good until April 30 in Los
Angeles area), but the VZW telephone sales rep says they're "out of
stock"..."Will they be back before the 30th", I asked. "No, out of stock
for good."

JKL
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:09:52 AM

Bean wrote:
> "Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113413969.311059.161520
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>

>>The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
>>the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified, is:
>> What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe areas
>>as the Nokias?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Steven
>

> I tried several different phones, and at the time I bought, found (and
> still find) the Samsung a670 to have great reception. Even though it's
> digital only, it holds signal well where the LG I tried couldn't. I've been
> very happy with the reception. I love Nokia bar phones, but the current
> offering at Verizon are too big for me. If they do get the 6235, I'll
> probably check it out.

I live in a problem house. Back in 1988 when I built it, I was being
energy conscious. To make the house efficient, I put 1" thick 4'x8' foam
boards on the outside under the wood siding. This foam board is foil
lined. Very efficient house to heat and cool but can you spell Faraday
Cage?
Well, the house is tight but getting a cell phone to work is a challenge.
I had the Mot V265 and the Samsung A670. Both worked just as well. No
difference during numerous test calls. Ended up keeping the V265 for
my wife and the A670 for my daughter.
The reason was the outside display on on the A670 was very poor. The
V265 had a good outside display but only a fair inside display.
My Daughter used to have a VX4400 and it dropped constantly.

Good luck.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:04:32 AM

I'm confused, how is it the phone's fault for being in "vibrate mode" when
it was set in "vibrate mode"?

Anyway, what's wrong with Nokia? I have the 6015i and it is the loudest,
clearest, best reception phone I've ever tried. It also has great battery
life, and is excellent in hands-free mode. It actually gets loud when you
turn the volume up. Most cell phones are still somewhat soft at full volume.

--
Bob D.

<LB@notmine.com> wrote in message news:425F65F8.57838FC4@optonline.net...
> TeddeLI wrote:
>
>> On 13 Apr 2005 10:39:29 -0700, "Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I am looking to upgrade my current Verizon phone. I currently have the
>> >Nokia 3589i, which I originally got because we live in a rural part of
>> >New Hampshire, and my previous phone (LG VX4400), while otherwise
>> >excellent, just could not hold a consistent signal in our house. The
>> >Nokia was reputed to be the best at working in such fringe areas, and
>> >it has worked as advertised. However, I am growing frustrated at other
>> >features of the phone (such as it not having a simple "vibrate" mode
>> >that I can use in meetings - I just set it to "meeting" this morning,
>> >forgot to set it back, and missed an important call), and would like to
>> >upgrade.
>> >
>> >The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
>> >the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified, is:
>> > What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe areas
>> >as the Nokias?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Steven
>>
>> I know it's expensive but I just bought a Motorola V710. It flat out
>> works well where my other phones didn't. The second best phone I had
>> was a Motorola V60i.
>>
>> If you are not going to buy a Motorola I would strongly consider a
>> phone with an extendable antenna rather than a stub. The Samsung 670
>> has one and has a reputation as a good phone.
>
> The nokia 6015i seems about the same or a little better than the motorola
> 265 but mot is flip phone and has a camera. We have both. Either has
> good
> reception. mot also has good speakerphone.
>
> LB

April 25, 2005 11:40:01 AM

Bob D. said.....
"I'm confused, how is it the phone's fault for being in "vibrate mode"
when
it was set in "vibrate mode"?

Anyway, what's wrong with Nokia? I have the 6015i and it is the
loudest,
clearest, best reception phone I've ever tried."

The problem (with the 3589i, at least) is the the "meeting mode"
DOESN'T vibrate. In fact, the phone has NO setting for just "vibrate".
If it did, no problem. When in "Meeting" mode, it shakes for maybe a
half second, then offers no further indication of an incoming call.
It's easy to miss a call this way; in fact, it's far easier than
knowing there is a call.

The 3589i RULES at getting a signal in weaker areas. I have heard the
6015i is similar in abilities. The 3589i has no speakerphone, and some
other annoying tendencies in addition to the lack of simple vibrate
mode. I would still keep it, or go with the 6015i, if the extra
features were not important to me. But, I've decided to try and get
the extra features AND the great reception, so I have ordered a Nokia
6255i. Assuming I can get that phone working with Verizon, I'll
report back on it in this thread.

-Steven-
April 26, 2005 1:42:15 AM

You might be one of the few folks who would REALLY benefit from one of those
"passive repeaters", where the item would actually help get your signal from
inside the house to outside....

Dean
___________________________________
"Stand Up Zipper Bag" <tim.2.pender.xthisx@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Bean wrote:
>> "Steve" <secretariat73@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1113413969.311059.161520
>> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>>

>>>The Nokia that replaced my phone (the 6015i) looks like it's more of
>>>the same feature set that I already have. My question, simplified, is:
>>> What other VZW phones work as well, or nearly as well, in fringe areas
>>>as the Nokias?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Steven
>>

>> I tried several different phones, and at the time I bought, found (and
>> still find) the Samsung a670 to have great reception. Even though it's
>> digital only, it holds signal well where the LG I tried couldn't. I've
>> been very happy with the reception. I love Nokia bar phones, but the
>> current offering at Verizon are too big for me. If they do get the 6235,
>> I'll probably check it out.
>
> I live in a problem house. Back in 1988 when I built it, I was being
> energy conscious. To make the house efficient, I put 1" thick 4'x8' foam
> boards on the outside under the wood siding. This foam board is foil
> lined. Very efficient house to heat and cool but can you spell Faraday
> Cage?
> Well, the house is tight but getting a cell phone to work is a challenge.
> I had the Mot V265 and the Samsung A670. Both worked just as well. No
> difference during numerous test calls. Ended up keeping the V265 for my
> wife and the A670 for my daughter.
> The reason was the outside display on on the A670 was very poor. The V265
> had a good outside display but only a fair inside display.
> My Daughter used to have a VX4400 and it dropped constantly.
>
> Good luck.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:35:44 PM

Oakland is having capacity problems, at least that is what a cell site
locator/bidder I know who, has worked for two other non-Verizon cell
providers locally.

Might try getting an antenna outside the house. Yeah, it's a hassle
being tethered to a cable, but there's not too many other cheap
options. Maybe a just simple, cheap, 3db spring antenna outside will
work...

I use one of their (Antennex_)Yagi's and these guys are local here in
the bay area (Richmond?).
They will also custom make high quality cable terminations and figure
out all the connectors needed.
I'm tempted to try one of the less obtrusive "Dualband Panel" type
antennnas. They don't have quite the gain, as a Yagi ( more than a
stick type antenna) but have a much wider angle of coverage, so they
don't have to be aimed precisely at a tower.

Cellphone Reception - Cellular, PCS and Nextel Antennas, Repeaters,
Amplifiers, Car Kits and Antenna Adapters

http://www.criterioncellular.com/

Check out the cellular antenna forum...
CellAntenna Corporation: Building Repeaters, Cellular Antennas,
accessories, cellphone products.

http://www.cellantenna.com/

There's also Wilson, especially for antenna connectors.

-
Dave
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:30:44 AM

"David L" <davlindi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Oakland is having capacity problems, at least that is what a cell
site
> locator/bidder I know who, has worked for two other non-Verizon cell
> providers locally.
>
> Might try getting an antenna outside the house. Yeah, it's a hassle
> being tethered to a cable, but there's not too many other cheap
> options. Maybe a just simple, cheap, 3db spring antenna outside will
> work...
>
> I use one of their (Antennex_)Yagi's and these guys are local here
in
> the bay area (Richmond?).
> They will also custom make high quality cable terminations and
figure
> out all the connectors needed.
> I'm tempted to try one of the less obtrusive "Dualband Panel" type
> antennnas. They don't have quite the gain, as a Yagi ( more than a
> stick type antenna) but have a much wider angle of coverage, so they
> don't have to be aimed precisely at a tower.
>
> Cellphone Reception - Cellular, PCS and Nextel Antennas, Repeaters,
> Amplifiers, Car Kits and Antenna Adapters
>
> http://www.criterioncellular.com/
>

> Check out the cellular antenna forum...
> CellAntenna Corporation: Building Repeaters, Cellular Antennas,
> accessories, cellphone products.
>
> http://www.cellantenna.com/
>
> There's also Wilson, especially for antenna connectors.
>
> -
> Dave

Thanks for the feedback, makes sense. Several savvy friends suggested
that Verizon my have reprogrammed their local system or something to
that effect. I was thinking that maybe they changed the directional
focus of some of their towers in my area.

I had great service with Verizon until the end of March then started
having very poor service around downtown Oakland and the area from the
80/580 split out highway 24 to highway 13 and south to about 98th Ave.
As soon as I hit Emeryville or 98th Ave. the problem went away. I had
the same problem with 4 different phones, 3 of them new!

The service has improved over the last week but I still have problems
within a half mile radius of my home. I signed up with Sprint and
their service works much better in a lot of areas than Verizon's
coverage. I'm using an older Sprint Nokia 3585i that I picked up cheap
on eBay.

The antenna idea might be a last resort if I stick with Verizon. I'm
going to try Cingular this week. I borrowed a Cingular phone this past
weekend. It seemed to work OK. I work throughout the Eastbay out to
Benicia, over to Vallejo/Mare Island, up through Napa and Sonoma and
the 101 corridor from San Rafael to Healdsburg.

I was surprised to find that the Sprint phone worked without a problem
around the Oakland Airport and Alameda where most phones have
problems.

Chas.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:48:41 PM

If you don't care about bells and whistles, I think one of the best
reception phones of all time is the Startac 7868. It's especially good
in rural analog areas, as most nokias broadcast at 0.5w analog while
this is one of the few to broadcast at the 1w maximum allowed by law.

The phone is simple, it does calls, SMS, and pre-1X (slower) wap. No
custom ringtones, no GIN, no pictures. It's about the size of a 4400.

The phone has a vibrate-only mode, which switches all sounds (rings,
VM, SMS) from sound to vibrate with one 2-key sequence (fn > 8). The
same sequence switches them all back to sound.

I switched to other phones, but keep coming back to my 5-year-old 7868.
If you mainly want a phone for making/receiving calls, that's
practical to use, and look for the best reception, it's hard to beat.

Many people have old ones lying around, or you can find them on ebay or
thrift stores. Verizon stores will swap a damaged 7868 for a fresh
refurbised on for only $50.

-MVL
!