Can I unstealth Kerio 2.1.5?

I don't want to get into a debate on the relative merits of "stealth," I just
want to know if it is possible to turn it off and have Kerio 2.1.5 return a
normal closed port response instead of dropping packets. If not, are there any
current personal firewalls that don't drop packets, or make it optional?
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

In article <109n0q9rnmmis47@corp.supernews.com>, dvader@deathstar.mil
says...
> I don't want to get into a debate on the relative merits of "stealth," I just
> want to know if it is possible to turn it off and have Kerio 2.1.5 return a
> normal closed port response instead of dropping packets. If not, are there any
> current personal firewalls that don't drop packets, or make it optional?

You don't have any choice in Kerio, however I believe it's an option in
Sygate 5.5. Or is it Outpost? Sorry, I'm not sure which, but I know
that one of those two let's you choose how the firewall responds, closed
or stealth. You may have to try both and see...

--
Kerodo

Taking a moment's reflection, "Crash" Dummy mused:

| I don't want to get into a debate on the relative merits of "stealth," I
| just want to know if it is possible to turn it off and have Kerio 2.1.5
| return a normal closed port response instead of dropping packets. If not,
| are there any current personal firewalls that don't drop packets, or make
| it optional?

I don't know how to do it (if it can be done) in Kerio ... though I use
it. However, ZoneAlarm returns a closed status when Internet Security is
set to Medium instead of High.

casey

In article <109n0q9rnmmis47@corp.supernews.com>, dvader@deathstar.mil says...
> I don't want to get into a debate on the relative merits of "stealth," I just
> want to know if it is possible to turn it off and have Kerio 2.1.5 return a
> normal closed port response instead of dropping packets. If not, are there any
> current personal firewalls that don't drop packets, or make it optional?

Sygate v5.5 Pro (under Tools/Options/Security) has the selectable
option "Enable Stealth Mode Browsing". Don't remember if the
free version has it or not. ( some functions are grayed out in it)
Casey

Kerodo wrote:
> In article <109n0q9rnmmis47@corp.supernews.com>, dvader@deathstar.mil
> says...
>
>>I don't want to get into a debate on the relative merits of "stealth," I just
>>want to know if it is possible to turn it off and have Kerio 2.1.5 return a
>>normal closed port response instead of dropping packets. If not, are there any
>>current personal firewalls that don't drop packets, or make it optional?
>>

> You don't have any choice in Kerio, however I believe it's an option in
> Sygate 5.5. Or is it Outpost? Sorry, I'm not sure which, but I know
> that one of those two let's you choose how the firewall responds, closed
> or stealth. You may have to try both and see...

Yes, it is optional in Outlook 2.1 Pro.

In article <e3gnc.54215$Ik.4006222@attbi_s53>, optikl@invalid.net
says...
> Kerodo wrote:
> > In article <109n0q9rnmmis47@corp.supernews.com>, dvader@deathstar.mil
> > says...
> >
> >>I don't want to get into a debate on the relative merits of "stealth," I just
> >>want to know if it is possible to turn it off and have Kerio 2.1.5 return a
> >>normal closed port response instead of dropping packets. If not, are there any
> >>current personal firewalls that don't drop packets, or make it optional?
> >>

> > You don't have any choice in Kerio, however I believe it's an option in
> > Sygate 5.5. Or is it Outpost? Sorry, I'm not sure which, but I know
> > that one of those two let's you choose how the firewall responds, closed
> > or stealth. You may have to try both and see...
> >
> Yes, it is optional in Outlook 2.1 Pro.

Ok.. I believe it was optional in the free Outpost as well then..
--
Kerodo