Computer Non responsive when printing

If the printer is on, the program becomes frozen (not responding) whenever I
attempt to print either a word document or internet page. Samething happens
if I do print preview. I cannot even open up the Printer icon in the
control panel. It doesn't do this if the printer is turned off. It allows me
to open up the printer icon in control panel, as well as print preview. I
have a HP psc1350xi and am using Windows XP.

Connected via parallel or USB?

When did it start this behavior?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"dagell" <dagell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If the printer is on, the program becomes frozen (not responding) whenever
> attempt to print either a word document or internet page. Samething
> happens
> if I do print preview. I cannot even open up the Printer icon in the
> control panel. It doesn't do this if the printer is turned off. It allows
> me
> to open up the printer icon in control panel, as well as print preview. I
> have a HP psc1350xi and am using Windows XP.

USB....happened recently....

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Connected via parallel or USB?
>
> When did it start this behavior?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "dagell" <dagell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If the printer is on, the program becomes frozen (not responding) whenever
> > attempt to print either a word document or internet page. Samething
> > happens
> > if I do print preview. I cannot even open up the Printer icon in the
> > control panel. It doesn't do this if the printer is turned off. It allows
> > me
> > to open up the printer icon in control panel, as well as print preview. I
> > have a HP psc1350xi and am using Windows XP.

Just realized that this happens only when Norton Internet Security 2005 is
enabled. When I disable it, i am able to print....Any suggestions?

dagell Wrote:
> If the printer is on, the program becomes frozen (not responding)
> whenever I
> attempt to print either a word document or internet page. Samething
> happens
> if I do print preview. I cannot even open up the Printer icon in
> the
> control panel. It doesn't do this if the printer is turned off. It
> allows me
> to open up the printer icon in control panel, as well as print preview.
> have a HP psc1350xi and am using Windows XP.

It could be that you have the wrong driver installed. Uninstall the one
you have and reinstall the latest one either from the CD or from
manufacturer website.

--
Evolution54

Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Right click on the
printer and select Properties.

In the Advanced tab, set it to print direct to printer instead of using the
Spooler. The Norton firewall is preventing your PC from 'talking' to the
printer.

Another solution would be a different antivirus product!