printer spooler stops when trying to add a printer

After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a printer I
get the message:
"Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running"
After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
message:
"Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article nine,
and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still the
same behavior.
How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down the
source of the problem any further?
6 answers Last reply
More about printer spooler stops printer

    Are you logged on as an Administrator?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "MT" <MT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a
    > printer I
    > get the message:
    > "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not
    > running"
    > After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
    > message:
    > "Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
    > looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article
    > nine,
    > and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still
    > the
    > same behavior.
    > How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down
    > the
    > source of the problem any further?

    Yes.

    Looking through the system events shows that whenever the print spooler
    terminates an error is generated from netevent.dll with the Event ID 7034 -
    tried to replace this dll but that also did not help.

    Any suggestions are welcome.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Are you logged on as an Administrator?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "MT" <MT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a
    > > printer I
    > > get the message:
    > > "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not
    > > running"
    > > After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
    > > message:
    > > "Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
    > > looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article
    > > nine,
    > > and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still
    > > the
    > > same behavior.
    > > How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down
    > > the
    > > source of the problem any further?

    Ok I have it working again:
    sfc /scannow and
    sfc /purgecache

    did the job for me - probably some corrupted file as I expected all along.

    "MT" wrote:

    > Yes.
    >
    > Looking through the system events shows that whenever the print spooler
    > terminates an error is generated from netevent.dll with the Event ID 7034 -
    > tried to replace this dll but that also did not help.
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcome.
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Are you logged on as an Administrator?
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > Printing & Imaging
    > >

    > > "MT" <MT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a
    > > > printer I
    > > > get the message:
    > > > "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not
    > > > running"
    > > > After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
    > > > message:
    > > > "Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
    > > > looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article
    > > > nine,
    > > > and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still
    > > > the
    > > > same behavior.
    > > > How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down
    > > > the
    > > > source of the problem any further?

    I'm still stuck here w/o a printer. I have tried several fixes but none were
    fruit bearing. Any other ideas. I would really appreciate it. Thanks all
    and "talk" soon.
    --
    Willard

    "MT" wrote:

    > After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a printer I
    > get the message:
    > "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running"
    > After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
    > message:
    > "Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
    > looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article nine,
    > and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still the
    > same behavior.
    > How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down the
    > source of the problem any further?

    What's the error message?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Walnut Willie" <WalnutWillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm still stuck here w/o a printer. I have tried several fixes but none
    > were
    > fruit bearing. Any other ideas. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    > all
    > and "talk" soon.
    > --
    > Willard

    First: "Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page set up or
    printing a document, you need to install a printer. Do you want to install a
    printer now?" I clicked okay and: "Operation could not be completed. The
    printer spooler service is not running." I can't do a thing. Hopefully you
    have encountered this before. Thanks for your effort.
    --
    Willard

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > What's the error message?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Walnut Willie" <WalnutWillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm still stuck here w/o a printer. I have tried several fixes but none
    > > were
    > > fruit bearing. Any other ideas. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    > > all
    > > and "talk" soon.
    > > --
    > > Willard

Print Spooler Microsoft Printers Windows XP