printer spooler stops when trying to add a printer

mT

After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a printer I
get the message:
"Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running"
After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
message:
"Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article nine,
and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still the
same behavior.
How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down the
source of the problem any further?

Are you logged on as an Administrator?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"MT" <MT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a
> printer I
> get the message:
> "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not
> running"
> After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
> message:
> "Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
> looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article
> nine,
> and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still
> the
> same behavior.
> How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down
> the
> source of the problem any further?

mT

Yes.

Looking through the system events shows that whenever the print spooler
terminates an error is generated from netevent.dll with the Event ID 7034 -
tried to replace this dll but that also did not help.

Any suggestions are welcome.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are you logged on as an Administrator?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "MT" <MT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a
> > printer I
> > get the message:
> > "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not
> > running"
> > After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
> > message:
> > "Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
> > looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article
> > nine,
> > and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still
> > the
> > same behavior.
> > How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down
> > the
> > source of the problem any further?

mT

Ok I have it working again:
sfc /scannow and
sfc /purgecache

did the job for me - probably some corrupted file as I expected all along.

"MT" wrote:

> Yes.
>
> Looking through the system events shows that whenever the print spooler
> terminates an error is generated from netevent.dll with the Event ID 7034 -
> tried to replace this dll but that also did not help.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Are you logged on as an Administrator?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >

> > "MT" <MT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a
> > > printer I
> > > get the message:
> > > "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not
> > > running"
> > > After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
> > > message:
> > > "Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
> > > looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article
> > > nine,
> > > and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still
> > > the
> > > same behavior.
> > > How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down
> > > the
> > > source of the problem any further?

I'm still stuck here w/o a printer. I have tried several fixes but none were
fruit bearing. Any other ideas. I would really appreciate it. Thanks all
and "talk" soon.
--
Willard

"MT" wrote:

> After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a printer I
> get the message:
> "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running"
> After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
> message:
> "Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again. I
> looked at some of the previous answers and related topics (like article nine,
> and Q324757) and followed the described procedures - with no luck. Still the
> same behavior.
> How can I fix this problem without reinstalling XP? How can I narow down the
> source of the problem any further?

What's the error message?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Walnut Willie" <WalnutWillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm still stuck here w/o a printer. I have tried several fixes but none
> were
> fruit bearing. Any other ideas. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
> all
> and "talk" soon.
> --
> Willard

First: "Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page set up or
printing a document, you need to install a printer. Do you want to install a
printer now?" I clicked okay and: "Operation could not be completed. The
printer spooler service is not running." I can't do a thing. Hopefully you
have encountered this before. Thanks for your effort.
--
Willard