Sign in with
Your question

Star Citizen; holy *** have you seen this?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Citizen
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
October 11, 2012 7:28:08 PM

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/star-citizen-preview-th...

I loved freespace 2, space sims and PC exclusives coming back all at once? This is an amazing week in PC gaming. I already pledged 40 bucks for my alpha access and a ship!

Is this the second coming of crysis? I think it could be!

More about : star citizen holy

October 11, 2012 8:37:45 PM

Hi :) 

Crysis was an FPS ..is this ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
October 11, 2012 9:04:21 PM

It's the second coming of Wing Commander.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 12:57:14 AM

Oh you silly guys, the similarities start and end with them both being PC exclusives that will use our hardware to their potential.
m
l
October 12, 2012 5:14:50 AM

Besides having the same creators, they also have at least a similar setting.
m
l
October 15, 2012 6:28:45 PM

Star Citizen's crowd funding is over $700,000.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/

I gave 'em $40 of that :p  An exciting time in PC gaming for sure. Help make this a success and others will hopefully follow suit.
m
l
October 26, 2012 5:22:36 PM

The game is now over 2 million. The game officially will happen, now we just need more money for more of the game to happen. Give em 40 bucks, you get a cool ship and alpha/beta access(30 bucks still gets you alpha/beta access). They also have a kickstarter now so you can donate to either.

And the kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

As of this post the game is at $2,165,091. This is a revolution!
m
l
October 26, 2012 7:01:22 PM

Hi :) 

SO you give them $40 ..BEFORE the game is made and hope.....

I think not lol...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
October 26, 2012 7:13:52 PM

nocturnal7x said:
The game is now over 2 million. The game officially will happen, now we just need more money for more of the game to happen. Give em 40 bucks, you get a cool ship and alpha/beta access(30 bucks still gets you alpha/beta access). They also have a kickstarter now so you can donate to either.

And the kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

As of this post the game is at $2,165,091. This is a revolution!

Actually, there is still no guarantee that it will be made. The $2,000,000.00 is essentially investment incentive, but they've now announced that they in reality need $12,000,000.00 and still don't have the investment support that they need outside of Kickstarter.

I'm eagerly hoping this game gets made, as is everyone else I'm sure. But don't misconstrue how Kickstarter works what it means.
m
l
October 27, 2012 4:14:01 AM

Where was that $12 million announcement? Haven't seen it anywhere.

Anyway the game will exist in some capacity at this point, this is the very beginning yes, something could go horribly wrong yes, this is untraveled territory.

We(pledgers) are Christopher Columbus here; and if this works this could lead to more PC game development and more AAA indie game development.
m
l
October 27, 2012 5:21:34 AM

nocturnal7x said:
Where was that $12 million announcement? Haven't seen it anywhere.

Anyway the game will exist in some capacity at this point, this is the very beginning yes, something could go horribly wrong yes, this is untraveled territory.

We(pledgers) are Christopher Columbus here; and if this works this could lead to more PC game development and more AAA indie game development.

Oh I think Kickstarting is a great thing for now. I know that at some point, a major developer or distributor is going to sneak into a Kickstarter under the radar and essentially turn the gaming community into well-meaning investors contributing toward a profit margin and not a higher quality game though. And there are already several instances of Kickstarters acquiring thousands of dollars and then announcing that they will be unable to deliver indefinitely. There was a game due out this October that just suffered that fate actually, and with no proof from the developers that any work was ever actually completed beyond the initial pitch.

As far as Star Citizen actually requiring $12,000,000.00 just in development costs (not even counting unforeseen issues and marketing), that's become public knowledge over the last few days. A little bit of googling should net you plenty of information on that subject, or checking the most recent yogscast.
m
l
October 29, 2012 10:31:23 PM

A very ambitious project to say the very least especially considering that this is being developed using private funds rather than going to a publisher (like EA) for support.

I wish them all the best and hope that those individuals / organizations who have provided a substantial amount of cash will reap some return on investment on this project.

Would I like to see a resurgence of the space sim genre? Yes, definitely. But I'm not too fond of multiplayer games and I am not 100% sure this is a viable product that will launch in the future. I'd rather keep my money for now and when/if the game is released, then I would pay money for the game if it is good and if I change my opinion of multiplayer games. Then again, I think it is also supposed to have a singleplayer campaign.
m
l
October 29, 2012 10:45:36 PM

jaguarskx said:
Then again, I think it is also supposed to have a singleplayer campaign.

Yea, thats what they are working on first, the single player campaign (squadron 42).

Also @ casual colors, Obsidian was approached by a publisher that wanted to"partner" with them in their kickstarter campaign for project eternity. Obsidian turned them down and would not name who it was (EA, UBI, Activision...)

So that has already started, although it didn't work that time im sure we will get screwed at some point. IMO very poor business decision. If people found out they would be in deep ***.
m
l
October 29, 2012 10:49:29 PM

nocturnal7x said:

Also @ casual colors, Obsidian was approached by a publisher that wanted to"partner" with them in their kickstarter campaign for project eternity. Obsidian turned them down and would not name who it was (EA, UBI, Activision...)

Yeah, I'm aware that major publishers have been fishing for conspirators in this regard. However, without much success. My fear is when they start internalizing the effort.

On a side note, Obsidian passed on other major publishers because they're already in bed with Bethesda.
m
l
!