"An error occurred during installation of the device" Epso..

Hi,

I run WinXP Pro SP2 and all updates on a DFI Lanparty UT nF3 Ultra - D
motherboard, AMD Athlon64 3800+ CPU, 1GB Corsair memory.

Recently, I newly set up my system, and installed my USB Epson C70
printer. I have had this printer for more than 3 years, and have never
had a problem installing it, till now.

Upon start up with printer on, or upon switching printer on during a
session, I get messages which say:
New hardware found. And after that - Cannot instal this hardware. An
error occurred during the installation of the device. Access denied.
Click Finish.

After clicking out of the messages, the printer works quite normally.

I have several times uninstalled the printer and drivers, and
reinstalled using the original CD which came with the printer, or the
latest drivers available on the Epson web site. But always with the same
result.

Please tell me what is wrong and how to correct it.

Many thanks

Royston
6 answers Last reply
More about error occurred installation device epso

    Are you logged on as an Administrator?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    In article <#A9ncoaqFHA.564@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
    <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> says...
    > Are you logged on as an Administrator?

    Hi, and thanks for responding.

    Yes I am.

    I await to hear from you further.

    Royston.

    Have a look through:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370
    --

    In article <ecoQK6jqFHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
    <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> says...
    > Have a look through:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370
    > --

    Thank you, but the registry will not allow me to delete that key. I get
    the message "error while deleting". I tried again immediately after cold
    start, but it still would not delete.

    Is it significant to this process that the printer is on a USB port, and
    I have disabled the parallel port in the BIOS?

    The article you quoted did seem, on the face of it, to be the specific
    solution to my problem. I am disappointed that it does not work for me.

    Royston.

    It certainly shouldn't be. Disabling the parallel port should have no
    effect on the USB.
    --

    In article <ugO08qerFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
    <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> says...
    > It certainly shouldn't be. Disabling the parallel port should have no
    > effect on the USB.

    I have been fighting a running (losing) battle with this Epson C70
    installation ever since I rebuilt my computer last month.

    In the beginning, I tried to remove the drivers so that I could
    reinstall them. At that time I got the message " you do not have
    sufficient access to remove Epson Printer Software from the Add/Remove
    programs list". So I went into Safe Mode with Administrator access, but
    still got the same message.

    I kept struggling, and somehow (I do not remember how) got rid of that
    message. Then I downloaded the latest drivers on the Epson Website, and
    after installing them am now more or less back to where I started. The
    new twist is that the registry entry referred to in the Microsoft KB
    article cannot be deleted.

    Do you have any other ideas?

    Royston.

Printers Windows XP