Quick easy "spooler" for .PRN files?

August 25, 2005 1:00:55 PM

Greetings,

I am no programmer, but using information I found in this group I was able
to create a batch file that will route files to a network printer:

net use lpt1: "\\MANHATTAN\EPSON 1280" /PERSISTENT:NO
copy *.prn lpt1

With this file we can copy *.prn files to the folder the batch file resides
in, make sure the DOS cursor is pointing to that folder, then double-click
on the batch file and all *.prn files will be copied to the appropriate
printer.

Unfortunately, that is not a simple enough process for my office. I was
hoping to create a shortcut that you can simply drag a print (*.prn) file on
to so that the print file will be forwarded to the printer no matter where
the *.prn or batch file reside. Any idea if this is possible? Is there a
simpler way to achieve a similar result?

Thanks!

Steve
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:56:04 PM

Steve,
Was not able to bring your site up on the net. Still unable to print due to
absence of print spooler. Any other ideas? How do you put the site in?
Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.
Thanks
--
Willard

"Steve Mayman" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am no programmer, but using information I found in this group I was able
> to create a batch file that will route files to a network printer:
>
> net use lpt1: "\\MANHATTAN\EPSON 1280" /PERSISTENT:NO
> copy *.prn lpt1
>
> With this file we can copy *.prn files to the folder the batch file resides
> in, make sure the DOS cursor is pointing to that folder, then double-click
> on the batch file and all *.prn files will be copied to the appropriate
> printer.
>
> Unfortunately, that is not a simple enough process for my office. I was
> hoping to create a shortcut that you can simply drag a print (*.prn) file on
> to so that the print file will be forwarded to the printer no matter where
> the *.prn or batch file reside. Any idea if this is possible? Is there a
> simpler way to achieve a similar result?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:40:58 PM

"Steve Mayman" <NewsResponse@ErgoArchitecture.com> wrote in message

> I am no programmer, but using information I found in this group I was
> able to create a batch file that will route files to a network
> printer:
>
> net use lpt1: "\\MANHATTAN\EPSON 1280" /PERSISTENT:NO
> copy *.prn lpt1
>
> With this file we can copy *.prn files to the folder the batch file
> resides in, make sure the DOS cursor is pointing to that folder, then
> double-click on the batch file and all *.prn files will be copied to
> the appropriate printer.
>
> Unfortunately, that is not a simple enough process for my office. I
> was hoping to create a shortcut that you can simply drag a print
> (*.prn) file on to so that the print file will be forwarded to the
> printer no matter where the *.prn or batch file reside. Any idea if
> this is possible? Is there a simpler way to achieve a similar result?

Change the copy command to "copy /b %1 lpt1". The /b switch tells the
copy command to copy the file as a binary.

/klaus
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:40:59 PM

Awesome! You da man Klaus!

Thanks!

Steve

"Klaus Jorgensen" <kj@no.spam> wrote in message
news:o p6OswZqFHA.3644@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "Steve Mayman" <NewsResponse@ErgoArchitecture.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I am no programmer, but using information I found in this group I was
>> able to create a batch file that will route files to a network
>> printer:
>>
>> net use lpt1: "\\MANHATTAN\EPSON 1280" /PERSISTENT:NO
>> copy *.prn lpt1
>>
>> With this file we can copy *.prn files to the folder the batch file
>> resides in, make sure the DOS cursor is pointing to that folder, then
>> double-click on the batch file and all *.prn files will be copied to
>> the appropriate printer.
>>
>> Unfortunately, that is not a simple enough process for my office. I
>> was hoping to create a shortcut that you can simply drag a print
>> (*.prn) file on to so that the print file will be forwarded to the
>> printer no matter where the *.prn or batch file reside. Any idea if
>> this is possible? Is there a simpler way to achieve a similar result?
>>

> Change the copy command to "copy /b %1 lpt1". The /b switch tells the
> copy command to copy the file as a binary.
>

> /klaus

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:43:45 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:00:55 -0700, "Steve Mayman"
<NewsResponse@ErgoArchitecture.com> wrote:

>I am no programmer, but using information I found in this group I was able
>to create a batch file that will route files to a network printer:

You posted a similar message as a separate thread in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize . Please don't post the same
query multiple times. If you must post to multiple
newsgroups (usually a bad idea), please crosspost so as not
to waste everyone's time (including yours).

"What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple
newsgroups?" http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
!